Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the DIY'ers out there, I'd just like to share my designs on my Proceed GT.

Have only had it since June 2016 but has been a fun working on something new yet being very simple (compared to VW/Audi/Merc's hot hatches)

I come from a DSM/Mitsu/Audi/Porsche background, so building the Pro-GT is a nice change.

All parts hand built in my back yard by me :)

2014 Kia Pro_cee'd GT 1.6T
Rolling on Mazda RX8 18X8 +50 wheels powder coated white (stock wheels were a pain in the ass to clean)

Lets begin:

Air intake

Exhaust 1 - 2nd CAT and mid muffler removal

Exhaust 2 - 2.5" Cat back with centre resonator and modified stock rear muffler

Exhaust 3 - 2.5" Bi-Modal Cat back (variable sound, quite/straight pipe) with non resonated centre, mated to modified stock rear muffler

Dump pipe - 3" with modified stock Cat then mated to custom 2.5"

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Never mind my other post. Not it all makes sense.

Man, you got some great access to tools.
I wish I had the same...

Reactions: JayRome

·
Registered
580 Posts
Holy shit that's the first and the best pro ceed performance build I've seen . Awesome work man !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
wow that's some craftsmanship.. its nice to get a good look at the working mechanics of your car and its different platform.. the resr suspension .. and different hard point for the bumpers exhaust and suspension.. by chance have you dyno tested your parts.. I can say the only issue I could see with power production in your set up is the size of your induction pipe you should make it 3.5 inch.. out side of that the new filter box and scoop are well down.. and your own intercooler set up is pretty cool..i like your Catch can set up .. and radiator over flow box is pretty cool.. I would love to hear what your exhaust sounds like.. Are you running a ECU tune yet..

oh and if you happen to be on Facebook.. please join our group gen 2 forte club.. you will be more than welcome

Reactions: santiad

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow that's some craftsmanship.. its nice to get a good look at the working mechanics of your car and its different platform.. the resr suspension .. and different hard point for the bumpers exhaust and suspension.. by chance have you dyno tested your parts.. I can say the only issue I could see with power production in your set up is the size of your induction pipe you should make it 3.5 inch.. out side of that the new filter box and scoop are well down.. and your own intercooler set up is pretty cool..i like your Catch can set up .. and radiator over flow box is pretty cool.. I would love to hear what your exhaust sounds like.. Are you running a ECU tune yet..

oh and if you happen to be on Facebook.. please join our group gen 2 forte club.. you will be more than welcome

Cheers mate,

it will hit the dyno hopefully soon with back to back test against a friends car which is dead stock. Should be interesting to see what it does make without any restrictions, although tuning is hard down here, not many people know how to tune these cars yet..
3.5" intake is fairly large for size of the turbo on our cars to be honest. The stock turbo alloy intake pipe goes from OD 2.75" to less then ID 2" at the turbo from memory.
Only thing I see would be an advantage is the smooth air flow with after market intake pipe vs the stock rubber unit, but id rather have less heat soak with stock intake pipe vs an custom alloy/steel unit. BUT a alloy/steel intake does sound good though! I miss the vacuum cleaner sound, not so loud with stock intake.

Will get some open/closed exhaust clips up soon for those interested..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
pretty bad ass

·
Registered
468 Posts
I bet your setup will put you in the 145 to 156kw (200 to 210hp for the Americans here ) range at the wheels.. a full bolt on car with no Ecu tune.. tend to be in that range. with a ecu tune i bet you could get 182kw. its all about how efficient you down pipe is and your hot and cold pipes in the induction side.. its should be a fun ride. one thing to look at is replacing the Factory BOV with a Turbo smart replacement.. the factory one have a high fail rate at stock boost levels.. just love your DIY stuff, I wish we got your Recaro bucket seats.. our stock seats are crap..

·
Registered
188 Posts
The orange looks really nice!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Little update:

Have been having boost issues lately, traced it back to the stock BOV leaking boost. The centre of the diaphragm being plastic, wasn't sealing properly against the alloy base surface causing a different peak boost level every WOT.

Switched out the stock BOV with an Aussie made Turbosmart unit and fixed the issue..

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just knew you would have issues with that factory blow off valve.. I'm glad you went with a turbo smart valve. they really make some great products. or you could do a (GFB) Go fast bits valve.. to keep it local.. I was wondering if you have done a ECU tune.. i can tell you that the car does pretty good on e85.. its just a few key strokes away. we have a user on here( PreCrack) that's Runs E85 with little issues.. are there any tuning houses local that could give your car a go.. a tune really wakes that car up..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just knew you would have issues with that factory blow off valve.. I'm glad you went with a turbo smart valve. they really make some great products. or you could do a (GFB) Go fast bits valve.. to keep it local.. I was wondering if you have done a ECU tune.. i can tell you that the car does pretty good on e85.. its just a few key strokes away. we have a user on here( PreCrack) that's Runs E85 with little issues.. are there any tuning houses local that could give your car a go.. a tune really wakes that car up..
GFB is good stuff too, but Turbosmart leads with boost products everywhere down here, plus discounts also help :)

I run my race car on E85, we no longer have it available everywhere thanks to Government pulling funding to design local vehicles to run on it. So no longer a viable option for a daily driver :(

No tuning places that have played with a Pro-GT yet, a few Velosters have been done but not enough to have faith in letting them play with my car. Might buy the software and dongle and tune it my self.

·
Registered
468 Posts
that a nice solid upgrade.. good job

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love practical custom stuff like this:cool:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts