Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So with everything I'm throwing at Karl I figured it was time to do a build thread.

Karl as of December 2016
20161207_101416.jpg

Performance mods:
845 Motorsports 3.5 super shorty intake
AEM dryflow 6x9 filter
Bpv vent to atmosphere mod.
Pennzoil Ultra synthetic 5w30
RSR Ran Up
845 Motorsports hotside chargepipe
custom silicone and aluminum coldside pipe
2nd cat and resonator delete
3" exhaust from the DP back to Y Pipe into dual 2 1/2s with Borla Pro XS mufflers.
DIY heatshield
Wastegate reference point mod
Wastegate actuator rod adjustment
NGK 93411 7 heat range plugs

Suspension mods:
Tork Rigid Subframe collars
EVilla Strut tower brace
EVilla 2 pt lower subframe brace
EVilla rear torsion bar
Enkei EV5 18x7.5 +45mm offset bronze wheels
BFG COMP 2A/S tires 225/40/18

Appearance mods:
Broken K carbon fiber insert front and rear badges
Dealer labels removed
trunk badges removed
All interior lights and trunk and license plate lights swapped to LED
Black anodized valve stem caps
Carbon fiber overlay for the gear selector
15 % window tint all the way around

20160308_183636.jpg

20160308_183709.jpg

20160308_183757.jpg

20160308_183803.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the badges off the trunk and used some citrus air freshener to bring off the adhesive, then finished off with a coat of spray wax. It looks so much cleaner and almost upscale with the broken K badges and nothing else on the back end. I'll post pics in a bit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is just temporary until I order a nicer intake and fab a good metal heatshield. However if it helps keep my iats down in the meantime I'm happy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This evening I got out and picked up the vacuum fittings and line needed to do the wastegate reference point mod. It was all of 15 dollars and maybe 20 minutes of work. Most of that time was spent fighting with the vacuum line on the wastegate actuator. After that it went very smoothly. I routed my vacuum line around the front of the engine bay using zip ties to secure it out if the way and away from heat sources.

As for impressions I definitely notice a difference in mid range boost and power delivery. It's noticeable. My gf rode out with me to grab groceries after I finished the mod and at one point I passed a slow moving vehicle. It was traveling around 45 in a 55, when I came into the paying zone and floored it she jumped as she wasn't prepared for how fast it was in full boost and it threw her back a bit. I can't say that top end has changed as much but it did feel much quicker under partial throttle. Low end still feels about the same.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Are you not using the solenoid? I believe the mod is done using it still.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I ran it exactly as the DIY showed. So it's coming off the solenoid just below the electrical connection. I just ran mine up the passenger side and over the by the line running to the windshield washer fluid. Then i wrapped around just under the front end above the radiator before dropping down to the rcv solenoid. I'll post pics in a bit

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically this takes the reference point for the wastegate actuator solenoid from just behind the turbo to on top of the intercooler where the rcv solenoid is. This will eliminate the pressure drop you get from the hot side pipe and intercooler. It still utilizes the factory controls and safety nets of the bpv,rcv, and wastegate it's just a more accurate and dynamic setup.

This will mostly make a difference in the midrange boost and on hot days when your losing more efficency to heat soak and flex in the rubber couplings

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I have been wanting to do this since they posted it on the VT forums. I am just worried about it because I am tuned

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'll be doing it Monday when in install my new parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
John was having a really hard time tuning a vt that had this done. not sure i would recommend it if getting tuned unless it was for only dyno tuned that he said no wastegate hack

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah if you're getting tuned or already tuned and running higher than stock boost levels I would be wary as this could push you past safe limits as they modify factory settings during the tuning process.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
20160319_142521.jpg

This is the passenger side from the top of the engine block looking down. You can see the tan connector on the wastegate actuator solenoid.

20160319_142535.jpg

I then ran it up the passenger side and across the front brace above the radiator

20160319_142538.jpg

20160319_142541.jpg

20160319_142543.jpg

Then down by the bpv to the fitting for the rcv solenoid

1 - 20 of 44 Posts