Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been a while since I posted or complained on here. After monthes of having my dealership not diagnose or fix some issues I'm having (wastegate getting stuck open with P0299 code and or bov leaking)
First: My BOV was leaking... Really irritating. So, what did I do? I spent money and got the turbo xs BOV. Did it solve my leaking BOV issue???? NOPE!
Second... I asked around the Evo, wrx, and srt 4 community (aka friends).
Our BOV doesn't just use a spring to stay shut, it actually uses the spring, and boost to stay shut! (here's where I expect someone to go "no you moron" but hold on)...
So I questioned why the boost wasn't holding it closed then!!!?
They then said "have you checked your wastegate and or selonoid?"
And I went... "Uh no? I'm talking about the BOV!"
They looked at me puzzled...
Here's the theory
If my wastegate/selonoid isn't allowing boost to build as it should, then, boost isn't making it to my BOV to keep it shut
My attempted solution is I bought a manual boost controller. I will install it in line with the selonoid, that way the selonoid isn't having my 22lbs of boost making it to it, thus not letting it open the waste gate prematurely.
I will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update, I ended up leaving the selonoid plugged in but disconnected from vacuum/boost.
Selonoid was definitely weak, boost is SOLID :D . Only thing I'm noticing is higher IAT
And some hesitant not WOT accelerating sometimes

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Hey guys, been a while since I posted or complained on here. After monthes of having my dealership not diagnose or fix some issues I'm having (wastegate getting stuck open with P0299 code and or bov leaking)
First: My BOV was leaking... Really irritating. So, what did I do? I spent money and got the turbo xs BOV. Did it solve my leaking BOV issue???? NOPE!
Second... I asked around the Evo, wrx, and srt 4 community (aka friends).
Our BOV doesn't just use a spring to stay shut, it actually uses the spring, and boost to stay shut! (here's where I expect someone to go "no you moron" but hold on)...
So I questioned why the boost wasn't holding it closed then!!!?
They then said "have you checked your wastegate and or selonoid?"
And I went... "Uh no? I'm talking about the BOV!"
They looked at me puzzled...
Here's the theory
If my wastegate/selonoid isn't allowing boost to build as it should, then, boost isn't making it to my BOV to keep it shut
My attempted solution is I bought a manual boost controller. I will install it in line with the selonoid, that way the selonoid isn't having my 22lbs of boost making it to it, thus not letting it open the waste gate prematurely.
I will let you know the outcome.
The BOV is controlled by it's own solenoid. This is the first thing I would have checked. If that solenoid isn't working, it could keep the BOV open and let all of the boost OR it could keep the BOV shut and it would never blow off. It seems your valve is open all the time letting air out and not into the engine.

Even if the wastegate solenoid was bad, that system is still mechanical in nature and the turbocharger will have to produce SOME boost at WOT, even if it's just a little. I think spring pressure for the system is something from 5-9psi.

From your 2nd post, I think you said you disconnected the solenoid and it sounds like you are talking about the BOV solenoid. This makes sense as long as you hooked the BOV back to a manifold pressure source so it can blow off when you close the throttle.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I unhooked the wastegate selonoid, and the issues I had don't exist anymore
Does it mean the turbo spools all the time and BOV must work harder now?

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Don't unplug the waste gate at all. That's a huge no no. It can over boost or cause other damage to your turbo. It's the bov solenoid that you need to look at. A boost controller is going to hide issues and you took away safety for the ecu to be able to dump boost if something happens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bov isn't working harder, the ecu still dumps boost if needed, the trick is, is an inline manual boost controller.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, a vendor kinda of whispered in my ear that they have seen the gate selonoid having issues, I know grim speed has one for the genesis

·
Registered
194 Posts
Torkme has an instructional for the 1.6 wastegate. Contact im or go to his facebook page. Its a rather simple adjustment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts