Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start I've already had two of my coil packs replaced when my car put itself in limp mode. Now I'm going to replace the other two and do all 4 spark plugs.

With the coil packs, do y'all have any recommendations?

Spark plugs are another issue, I read through the sticky and another thread about plugs and well it made everything even more confusing. The sticky talks about NGK not making a proper plug for our cars and Autolite being the best one to go with. The other thread shows NGK 1422 plugs being the best for our cars and autolites not being very reliable. My car is stock except for just a shortram intake.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
How many miles? What is your location?

Generally speaking all your findings are correct.
OEM spark plugs sometimes are having issues. Better replacement is Autolite XP5702 - I can tell my 2015 MT was running great, as long as they (plugs) were OK. Many folks had them failing. So did I... mine cracked ceramic insulator and covered the spark causing misfire like.

What is your problem with sparks, though?
You could try 89 octane instead of 87 for a while. You may get one step colder sparks, or get it tuned a bit and go two steps lower...

Now I am running tune with HKS (two steps colder). Is it better - yes, I do not have the low end problems anymore.
What I also noticed is that Oil Catch Cans might be helping. I had to remove mine as they started leaking on winter.
But the thing is that if you have too much oil (dealer overfilled) it somehow gets through PCV to the engine and causes detonation issues.
Now, with level OK, less problems.

·
Registered
534 Posts
In '17 they went to a colder plug. Might look into those as people are having success with them on Facebook. Here is the part number 18849-08080.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Since we are here, my problem - how do you verify coil is failing or under-performing?

·
Registered
534 Posts
You check the resistance if the coil to see if it's bad or good. Plugs you basically look at them after you try to run them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts