Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one used it on there wheels or car? I'm going to paint my wheels black with it. What other colors would contrast with my steel blue Forte 5?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
OEM wheels?

Be careful.
There was a guy who bought used Forte and was complaining about paint peeling off. It is not easy to do the wheels. Plus they are exposed to lots of damage (rocks hitting wheels at high speed, snow...).

I find the two colour wheels fit with all bodies. But that's my personal opinion.
I saw one used for sale with black wheels, looked weird.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Has any one used it on there wheels or car? I'm going to paint my wheels black with it. What other colors would contrast with my steel blue Forte 5?
Jim, if you do it correctly it can come out really nice looking and comes off easy. You will see many complaints online from people that basically did not do it correctly. Make sure ambient temperatures are warm, your wheels are clean, you can choose to mask off your tires but I find this step unnecessary as the dip can be easily rubbed off the rubber, and the #1 key is LAYERS! Make sure you do enough layers as the more layers you do the thicker it is and when the time comes EASIER to remove off your wheels. I love using it to try different wheel colors before I actually spend the money on a new set. I did this on my 350z when I was looking for wheels, did my stock wheels in a gunmetal flake grey. Turned out perfectly and then I knew what color new wheels I was going to get. If you dont like it peel and start over.

I actually think a gunmetal grey would look great against the steel blue. This is the color (I didnt get the whole kit) that I would recommend. I feel like black is so overdone...
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/popular-wheel-kits/products/gloss-anthracite-grey-wheel-kit

Be careful.
There was a guy who bought used Forte and was complaining about paint peeling off. It is not easy to do the wheels. Plus they are exposed to lots of damage (rocks hitting wheels at high speed, snow...).
I disagree, with patience it not hard to do at all. Watch a few Youtube DIY videos, maybe practice a little on a test wheel on something else. As long as you take your time, do the correct steps, and layer enough you'll have no problem.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Jim - the great thing about plasti dip on your wheels is just practice. Get an extra can (or more) and practice on one wheel after choosing the color. You'll get the hang of "spray-painting" your wheels with some technique of using the can. You can peel the stuff off if clumps, gets dusty, bumpy, wrong texture, drips or what will you. Clean the wheel of all brake dust, road film etc - all metal and rubber surfaces need to be clean before starting. Post photos.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've done this to many different wheels of mine in the past. Make sure your wheels are *clean*. Make sure you put enough layers to make the final product peelable. I've found that 5 is the minimum, but I usually do around 8 for good coverage. Light coats.

You can get cans of flat black here at our AutoZone for $5. It's cheap to buy a can and practice.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
It looks like dip your car actually recommends doing the first few layers in black, 1 its cheaper than the colored dip and 2 I think the black lays a great foundation for whatever color you're planning to lay over it

·
Registered
170 Posts
It looks like dip your car actually recommends doing the first few layers in black, 1 its cheaper than the colored dip and 2 I think the black lays a great foundation for whatever color you're planning to lay over it
Apparently they have YouTube vids as well. A lot. Like, so many.

The guy has some good pointers though. Might be worth a watch.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
Did you remove the letters (badge) from the car or spray directly on to the car? Looks like some residue or oxidation under the F-O-R letters.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah I need to clean that up. Just been lazy. It's something from the plastidip but it hard to get in the to clean.

No nothing was removed. I was originally going to paint the gdi badge black and just let the letters through but it would not stick to the badge itself due to the texture. So I painted it like so. My wife's (same badges except hers says optima SX T-GDI) I only painted the T black on the gdi plate. Same issue with the texture cause they are basically the same badge)

·
Registered
171 Posts
OEM wheels?

Be careful.

I find the two colour wheels fit with all bodies. But that's my personal opinion.
I saw one used for sale with black wheels, looked weird.
Not 100% true. The guy who had the paint peeling was because the dealer had painted over curb rash and didnt tell him. So his flaking paint was a dealer coverup, NOT the OEM finish.

But yes, the wheels are exposed to some harsh stuff... heat, rocks, mud/dirt, curbs... lol.

But I dipped my wheels last year in the spring and they looked great when I took them off. Going to get them put back on in a month or so :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quick question... For the Mazda lip if I paint it red plasti dip am I going to have to sand it and prep it or can I just go to town and send the lip to get it hydro painted?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts