Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work this morning I noticed what I believed to be pinging around 3200 rpm.

I was going about 65 km/h and 5th would've been the ideal gear to be in but since I was turning soon I was being lazy and left it in 4th.

Once I made the turn I tried to reproduce the sound and I heard a very faint clatter at the same RPM... If I gave it gas I felt a slight hesitation but after it would be fine. I slowed down and accelerated and all felt normal.

I've been running 87 since I got the car (now at 5500 kms) but thinking I should bite the bullet and just buy 91.

I couldn't get it to do it at any other rpm but mind you I only had 5 mins of testing before I got to work. Will try it out some more on the way home and plan on checking my plugs just in case.

Didnt feel like a misfire although I do find my car misfires during first start up when it's cold... You can hear the changes in exhaust notes as it burps and chugs and I wasn't going quick enough to be fuel cut.

Thinking the 87 doesn't really agree with the car at that RPM or maybe just a bad batch of gas.

Now at 1/4 tank so I'll fill it up with 91 and go from there. Anyone else have similar experiences at this RPM?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Same petrol (location) as usual?

Pinging would rather be prominent at lower RPM and under load. I am not sure that was actually pinging... but heck, maybe the sensor was confused for a moment? :)

Sure, you may try 91, but this will not really say much now. Since it happened only once and you cold not really reproduce it then, I would rather stick with this what you have now and see where it goes. If the pinging comes back and stays there - then sure, let's do something. Pouring 91 now will only affect your wallet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I noticed the same....rough idling after start.....I have an auto and if I'm doing 60 and gun it, the car bucks, then starts again....

Car is a gas hog, but I may have to get 91 next tank to see if there is a difference....

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always buy from Petro Canada and 90% of the time its at the same station just down the street from my work.

I was able to reproduce what I thought was a clatter at the same exact RPM after I turned.

I didn't notice it at any other RPM, but playing around at 3200 rpm I did feel a slight hesitation and acceleration felt sluggish.

By this time the car was completely warm.

I agree I need to try and reproduce it some more.

I've been debating about switching to 91 anyway to reduce chances of an LSPI scenario occuring. I don't think this morning occurrence has anything to do with LSPI, just a preventative thought.

I just thought it was very odd... If it was bad gas I'm sure I wouldn't experienced something sooner... I have been through 3/4 of it.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced something similar.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I cannot say much yet. It has been only 1000 miles of our journey so I am still learning.

However, LSPI, as it states, is at low speed, meaning 1000 RPM, maybe 2000 RPM...

Anyway, for now I could not really see anything like that, although I do not stay at 3k RPM for much time and I am there it is rather at WOT going to 4k or more.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have anything capable of data logging at the moment.

On the way home I couldn't hear what I thought was pinging, but I still did get that hesitation in the same RPM range and again get the inconsistent cold idle.

Will have to do some more troubleshooting this weekend.

·
Registered
518 Posts
after my tune something very similar started happening to me. around that rpm i would hit a really bad hesitation and it cuts timing and has a really annoying exhaust note. but once i give it a little more gas and power through it it's fine. i still kinda notice it sometimes but seems to be getting better

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm on the stock tune so if were experiencing the same issues I doubt its tune-related.

Next time I have to bring it into the dealer I'm gonna mention it just to have it on record.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I feel like my car is about to shit the bed everytime this happens to me. I imagine i look like some douche that can't drive his manual (mines auto). A solution for the stutter and hesitation would be awesome. Oddly it only happens sometimes.

·
Registered
518 Posts
my exhaust has a really loud ricey exhaust note when it cuts timing. its super annoying when driving in traffic cause i feel bad for everyone else. doesn't please my ears as well

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
On my exhaust I hear the wastegate open all the time lol

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
On my way to work this morning I noticed what I believed to be pinging around 3200 rpm.

I was going about 65 km/h and 5th would've been the ideal gear to be in but since I was turning soon I was being lazy and left it in 4th.

Once I made the turn I tried to reproduce the sound and I heard a very faint clatter at the same RPM... If I gave it gas I felt a slight hesitation but after it would be fine. I slowed down and accelerated and all felt normal.

I've been running 87 since I got the car (now at 5500 kms) but thinking I should bite the bullet and just buy 91.

I couldn't get it to do it at any other rpm but mind you I only had 5 mins of testing before I got to work. Will try it out some more on the way home and plan on checking my plugs just in case.

Didnt feel like a misfire although I do find my car misfires during first start up when it's cold... You can hear the changes in exhaust notes as it burps and chugs and I wasn't going quick enough to be fuel cut.

Thinking the 87 doesn't really agree with the car at that RPM or maybe just a bad batch of gas.

Now at 1/4 tank so I'll fill it up with 91 and go from there. Anyone else have similar experiences at this RPM?
We are hearing this over and over again with customers, both tuned and not tuned. It would seem that that there is a bunch of bad gas getting sent out to the filling station's right now. Run premium fuel if you can, and add a bottle of octane booster if it doesn't go away.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
That's true! I had some weird issues with my car and eating gas like crazy. Found out it was bad gas from the place I go to all the time. Switched stations and it went away

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Tork, glad I'm not the only one. I have since switched to premium and through half a tank of gas... Haven't noticed much of a change in my cold idle but will keep paying attention to my pinging and hesitation issue.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
It can take a couple of tanks for the eco to adjust to the new fuel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts