Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to set up the front led parking lights as DRLs? They might not be too bright, but it would be cool to have them on during the day.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can just leave them turned on all the time, once you shut the car off and lock it they will turn off. I always thought it would be cool to have the LED's on with the fog lights on . Maybe someone could hack in and switch that setting up

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
what he said. and i believe you can just search the "fog light mod" and try that, alot of fog lights can be bypass with that mod

·
Registered
439 Posts
It would be cool to just have the leds on fog on with the leds on the headlights but with fog lights. I believe there's only 2 wires going to it so the fog lights come on with leds. But I'm sure someone could rewire the fog lights if they wanted. ..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Fog lights are usually powered via relay

·
Registered
439 Posts
I meant on actual light it self. Power and ground. Runs both the fog light and leds around it. Someone would have to take the light apart and run a extra wire to run just the leds by them selves.

·
Registered
30 Posts
DRLs and the high beams are the same bulb and there is only one set of wires for each bulb. I unplugged these bulbs so I can drive with only the LEDs on in Parking light mode. However, I have no high beams now (which isn't a big deal cause I've never even used them). I think upgrading to HIDs for the high beams would let me get back a highbeam bulb while not allowing the DRLs to run. DRLs seem to be computer controlled via regular 12V voltage.

I'm planning to open up the headlights in the oven and add some more LED strips and paint out the insides black. Just need to figure out how to take out the grille and headlight assembly.

Also need to figure out how to get into the foglights and rewire so the LEDs run separate from the fogs--they're wired the same as the highbeams--one set of wires for the LED ring and fogs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is definitely on my list of "dive in, and figure it out" list, in the near future, on the Koup. My Sportage has full time LED eyebrows that come on with the ignition and there is nothing like it. When she's all cleaned up, and the wife drives it down the driveway, and I can see those DRL LED's glowing, it just kind of gets the Dopamine receptors flowing and reminds me of why I still love the Sportage after 4+ years of ownership. Other people pay well over $50k, and get a 3rd of the warranty to get those kind of options. They could also be a bit brighter on the Koup, but something is better than nothing, especially without having to run the parking lights to have them on all the time unlike the Sportage. It will be figured out for us Forte owners, it's just a matter of time. Anybody know an electrical engineer ;)?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Are you saying you want the DRL? All the time? I read on the kia forums that kia wants the DRL to be in the drivers control. I always run my lights during the day and at nice I turn in the actual headlights. Other days I forget and they stay off. I like it that way because eventually the LEDs will burn out and that's the day I stop using my parking lights.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you saying you want the DRL? All the time? I read on the kia forums that kia wants the DRL to be in the drivers control. I always run my lights during the day and at nice I turn in the actual headlights. Other days I forget and they stay off. I like it that way because eventually the LEDs will burn out and that's the day I stop using my parking lights.

I don't think you have to worry about the LED's that are made these days burning out. High quality LED's, like those used in today's automotive's, are rated at some where like 10-15,000 hours life span. There is always that one bad apple out of 500 bushels, but for the most part, DRL LED's should outlast your ownership and most other parts on the car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone tried to set up the front led parking lights as DRLs? They might not be too bright, but it would be cool to have them on during the day.
I might be missing the question, and some of the replies have got me more confused, but do you mean you would like the 'eyebrow' LED lights to operate at full time daytime running lights? If that is the case then the US setup must be different to how things are for us in NZ - for my Koup the LED 'eyebrow' lights automatically operate as full time daytime running lights, and always have - I don't need to physically switch on anything to make them work in this way. In fact, nearly all new cars in NZ operate in this way - my wife's new Sorento operates like this, while all the new Hyundais, Toyotas, Lexus, Holdens (ie; the Australasian Chevy) etc all have fulltime LED daytime running lights.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I might be missing the question, and some of the replies have got me more confused, but do you mean you would like the 'eyebrow' LED lights to operate at full time daytime running lights? If that is the case then the US setup must be different to how things are for us in NZ - for my Koup the LED 'eyebrow' lights automatically operate as full time daytime running lights, and always have - I don't need to physically switch on anything to make them work in this way. In fact, nearly all new cars in NZ operate in this way - my wife's new Sorento operates like this, while all the new Hyundais, Toyotas, Lexus, Holdens (ie; the Australasian Chevy) etc all have fulltime LED daytime running lights.

Exactly! My 2011 Sportage has full time LED DRL's, meaning they come on as soon as you start it with nothing else required. On the U.S. Forte, the only way to get the LED's to come on is to turn the switch one position to the "parking light" position so the LED's come on with the parking lights. So technically, U.S. Fortes do not have DRL's at all. NZ probably has a law stating all cars made after a certain year must have daytime running lights. Lucky You :mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
In Canada, the DRLs are the same bulb as the high beam. High beam and DRLs are the same light bulb in the headlight assembly. They run at different voltage or something to output a low DRL light and a high power high beam light. They physically have one bulb and one set of wires. I assume this is the same as the US cars. DRLs are computer wired into the system and come on anytime the vehicle is in motion, even when the light switch is set to OFF.

The LED positioning lights (eyebrows) only come on as an accessory light and have no functional purpose. They are active in all light settings starting from P.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like that, easy to do, the photos looks like the interior of our cars too. I bet they would work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm sure it would work, but definitely not what I'm looking to do. We did that back in the 90's(yeah I'm old, and had Piaa fog lights) and it was pretty cool, but nowadays, it's all about full time LED's as DRL's, so that's what I'm concentrating on. I've been down for a few weeks, and even had surgery the other day to hopefully cure my illness, so as soon as I can get back in the garage, I will have a look at things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts