Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys been out of warranty for 3 month and already 1500$ in.

Got a forte koup sx 2014 with 100k km (60k miles)

First the fuel pump went out 2 months out of warranty at 95k (my car is 5 year 2 months old at this point). Cost me 870$ to replace

The engine died again yesterday on me while driving. Check engine was flashing and had the car towed to Kia.

4 new sparks plug and 450$ after they find the problem with cylinder 3 fuel injector.

The engine is having multiple misfire code (Kia Forte P0303: Cylinder 3) also P0300 KIA - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

They wanted another 700$ to remove carbon buildup, new fuel injector on cylinder, new gasket , new high pressure fuel line.

The car at the moment run on 3 cylinders and is shaking like crazy on idle and after 40mph the shaking is not bad.

Now the rate of stealership is way to high and I know my way a little around engine so I think I can replace my injector by myself (Shouldn't be more complicated than changing spark plug).

Have anyone ever changed their own fuel injector here?

Part for fuel injector is 353102B120. Should I change only one or all of them at the same time?

Also is aftermarket injector OK? 50% of the price of OEM.

Some tips would appreciated on maintenance because I'm starting to go crazy. my car is worth 11k and I'm near 2k repair in 2 months...

Charles

·
Registered
521 Posts
This forum isn't that active but I know how annoying it is to not get responses on this type of thing so...

Have anyone ever changed their own fuel injector here? Not that I know of...

Part for fuel injector is 353102B120. Should I change only one or all of them at the same time? They don't look cheap. I would probably just do one unless someone told me to do them all. Although, doing them all would prevent doing it again anytime soon.

Also is aftermarket injector OK? 50% of the price of OEM. It's probably OK but OEM may be the safer bet. Are you just trying to get back on the road or are you trying to restore performance?

I did a quick search elsewhere, this was all I found.
"its involved...had to remove, intake,catch can,bumper,cold pipe/fittings, throttle body,numerous plugs that are hard to reach/unconnect, serp belt,alternator to swing forward to make room to remove the fuel rail, rad hoses, 4 hoses off the back, 1 of which is coolant from the oil cooler/filter mount. Lots of small odds and ends...removing and installing the injectors themselves only took about 20 min tops...ended up being a 10+ hour day with painting the cold pipe and intake black, and front emblem black as well."

https://www.velosterturbo.org/threads/new-injectors-arrived.9745/page-2#post-275050

Seems like a lot of work just for injectors but I've never pulled any on a DI engine.

Sorry to not really be that much help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"its involved...had to remove, intake,catch can,bumper,cold pipe/fittings, throttle body,numerous plugs that are hard to reach/unconnect, serp belt,alternator to swing forward to make room to remove the fuel rail, rad hoses, 4 hoses off the back, 1 of which is coolant from the oil cooler/filter mount. Lots of small odds and ends...removing and installing the injectors themselves only took about 20 min tops...ended up being a 10+ hour day with painting the cold pipe and intake black, and front emblem black as well."
Wow this is for the veloster, I hope this is not the same for the forte.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Looks to me like lack of maintenance.

Spark plugs are I believe 45k miles on this one. Maybe even 30k.
Carbon buildup - one could remove it, but it takes some effort and knowledge.

Fuel pump. That's a weird one... Especially that shortly after that you have more issues piling up. I'd suspect the pump was OK, but actually was something else causing the issue.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes but clearance inside the engine bay is different.

Also maintenance was always done at dealership. Also in the book, they say to change the iridium sparks plug at 168k on the cars.

2019-10-17_11h36_38.png

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hopefully we do have more clearance...
Can you get an injector out without pulling the intake manifold? I can't remember exactly how that is all set up.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Spark plugs on my 2015 are supposed to be replace every 45k miles. Not that it matters that much since this is an injector issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anyone know any kia mechanic, can you ask them what the procedure to remove the fuel rack where the injector are located?

Thank you,

Charles

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Yes but clearance inside the engine bay is different.

Also maintenance was always done at dealership. Also in the book, they say to change the iridium sparks plug at 168k on the cars.
That is not your car. This is for GDI/MPI engines.

Yours has 1.6 T-GDI (Turbo GDI) engine and those require much more often spark plugs changes. Also oil changes are more frequent... MPI 7500 miles, TGDI 5000 miles.
My dealership did not know what the correct interval was or how much oil the engine needed... so I had to pay attention. Maybe because mine was the only 1.6T GDI Forte they ever serviced.

Man, if you are good with tools - you can do it.
If not - get someone take care of it.

Now, I would ask you do something else.
Although you did not say what is your location, based on km as distance unit, I'd presume Canada.
Anyway, maybe it is time to call KIA and ask them for assistance?

If the car REALLY had all maintenance done by service, ask them for out for warranty repair assistance. Also called good will repair. If you politely present them records and current state of the car, they might be willing to cover a major part of the repair.
If I am not mistaken, injectors could qualify for powertrain warranty.

It is worth a shot.
I had success with this twice (Hyundai and FIAT), where the latter was way out of warranty (time) and I am the 3rd owner, but they still covered 80% of the repair (there was a TSB, though)...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just looked at mine, RHD 1.6 T-GDI can't even find the injector rail or the injectors without pulling parts off, unless you are very skilled or have access to someone who knows how, don't do this job, I would just pay a shop before trying this one myself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
on another topic with you being in Canada going into winter, if the car is cold enough the door windows can stick to the door trims and not drop 5mm to clear the roof channel, if this happens and you pull hard to open the door it won't close till you warm up the window to unstick the glass.

It got me till I looked at it and watched the glass move as I open/close the door.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I'm in Canada.

Dropped my car at a local garage that charge 70$/h instead of 140$/h, but based on your comment jat63 I'm a little scared, because it is general mechanic, but are they really good with direct injection engine and highly technological boosted engine like the 1.6T that need to remove every part to fix......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
on another topic with you being in Canada going into winter, if the car is cold enough the door windows can stick to the door trims and not drop 5mm to clear the roof channel, if this happens and you pull hard to open the door it won't close till you warm up the window to unstick the glass.

It got me till I looked at it and watched the glass move as I open/close the door.
Now I dont have this problem anymore because I have indoor garage at home and work but the trick is to use an used credit card and force it between the seal and the window across the window.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It doesn't seem like pulling the manifold is that difficult. I say that based on other people mentioning pulling it without complaining about it being difficult.

What cylinder did you say was having issues?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the little garage found out kia dealership are autistic and that the coil on my cylinder 3 is bad and my injector is fine.

The one on the cylinder 2 is about to go out too so they switched it with 2 lightly used kia coil 80$ for two and the car run fine now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts