Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

Other drivers on the road that frustrate you discussion/rant.

6K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  CrazyFritter 
#1 ·
So random board discussion, for example what is everyone's opinion in regards to merging on the freeway speed limit 70 mph. Ive found in the area I live people often merge anywhere between 45 and 70 mph. I find this dangerous when cars a cruising past you and they just poke along until their 20% throttle gets them to 70 mph. Then when people are merging the ones one the freeway hit their brakes to allow the merger to merge. IMO shouldn't you hit the gas that way the merger would yield if they were traveling at proper speed? Or simply switch lanes if possible.

Discuss or not discuss I just thought it might be a fun off topic from different areas to chat.

This is not about to just complain about people driving too slow, too fast, or too aggressive. I just want to know what others have experienced in different areas and what is the common perception on road rules/ common curtesy.

#2 ·
For the sake of not derailing this thread, I will not complain about Ottawa drivers.

However to comment on your point; as the merger I will get up to whatever speed traffic is flowing at, and the people that merge at half that speed are idiots.

As the driver already in the highway, I always switch lanes if I can to give the merging driver space. If i cant, its very situational.

If i have time to pass, I will. Sometimes the merging vehicle will be travelling slower than me, but further ahead and then I think its common courtesy to let them in providing they are running out of room. If they still have a huge stretch I'll pass... But cautiously.

One thing that does grind my gears are driver who signal while they are already turning. I firmly believe everyone should use their INDICATORS to INDICATE what they are GOING to do :)

#6 ·
One thing that does grind my gears are driver who signal while they are already turning. I firmly believe everyone should use their INDICATORS to INDICATE what they are GOING to do :)
Right?! The point of the turn signal is to let drivers know you WILL BE turning lol

Reactions: staax and PLP
#4 ·
I live in a mountainous area and one thing that always gets on my nerves are drivers, especially 18 wheelers, who get in the fast lane going uphill to pass a vehicle going 1 mph slower than them. Sometimes it becomes an event that lasts for days( ok only feels that way lol) and clogs up the passing lane for miles. In the same vein driver who constantly ride in the passing lane despite not passing or merging also irritate me. Some states have actually enacted slow poke laws that make it a ticketable offense to impede the flow of traffic. 18 wheelers which stay in the fast lane through congested areas with lots of red-lights also gets old. If you're not turning or merging stay out of the passing and merging lane.

#7 ·
My approach.

First anticipate. Look how many cars are coming in and will they merge.
Then, change the lane. I mean, why would I slow down? I would change the lane. It is that simple.
If none of the above can happen, I keep my speed or slow down or rather increase if I see the gal does not want to accelerate. However, the change is within 5 mph. I would never slam the brakes, unless avoiding collision.

In short - anticipate and get ready (move over).

#17 · (Edited)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While driving LOL....One way to keep people from using a phone or in fact anything else is to move the throttle up onto the column so it is hand operated and set up cruise control so it only works with both hands on the wheel via a sensor. NO dont think having your kid hold the wheel will work so you can shoot the shit on the phone, it will be programmed to only recognize your hand. Hey, they moved the dimmer switch and washer pump from the floor, lets take it up a notch!

#9 ·
I have two major pet peeves in regards to other drivers. 1st - the "up your tail pipe" drivers who feel like they need to drive 2 inches from your rear bumper on a multi-lane roadway (not a highway, just a normal roadway) even though there may be another lane to pass. Not to mention I'm always in the right lane driving at least the speed limit. Drives me insane, like I'm the one keeping them from their cheeseburger at lunch time - you know?? I always say, in the mornings when everyone is lat for work doing this to me --- "shoulda left on time for work. Not my fault." It's great going the speed limit in front of 4 cars on a single lane road and you can just see the anger in their faces. Sorry, but I'm not getting a ticket for you - plus where are you gonna go? There's 10 other cars 50 yards in front me.

2nd - people who speed through residential neighborhoods. In the U.S. the max speed limit for a residential roadway that's not a thoroughfare is 30 mph. In my small neighborhood, away from any major roadways, I constantly see people flying doing at least 50 mph and the speed limit is posted at 30. And why? To get into their homes 2 seconds earlier? I'll never understand. I feel like people these days only focus on catching up to the car in front of them - and then when they do catch that car, they just don't have to patience to stay behind them for whatever reason. They pass that car and speed on to the next car in front of them. I'm sure there's some psychological meaning behind something like that - hahaha

#10 ·
You are correct. The merger is responsible for yielding in every situation. Not the cars that already have right of way on the road. Same goes for a multi-lane road and one lane being closed ahead --- it is ONLY the responsibilities of the cars in the closing lane to yield to other traffic. Trust me - I was an Auto Claims investigator for a major insurance company for 3 years. I dealt with this crap all of the time.

#12 ·
People seem to drive under the speed limit on the highway then when we turn off they are doing 45 in 30 when they were going 50 in a 60! WTF? I may speed a bit on highway/ freeway roads I'm guilty but when you are in a neighborhood with houses kids dogs ect, just a recipe for disaster. Ill never understand that, but it does piss me off same thing in parking lots. ugh....

#14 ·
People speeding on the hwy doesn't bother me one bit, unless it's an idiot driving 100 and weaving in and out of traffic. I'm pretty much a middle lane driver, the speed limits here in Fort Worth are pretty much all 70 mph on the interstates even through town - so I usually go about 75. Anyone else wants to go faster than 75 then they have a lane to the left and to the right to pass me. LMAO

But you're right. The slow pokes doing 50 mph in a 70 - always comes off the highway into neighborhoods or slower city roads and do 15 over. hahaha

#13 ·
I wanted to add one more thing I find very irritating.

That is Pavement Markings.

When on a two lane road, one lane comes to end and the road becomes one lane, you get the road sign indicating it. However, on the pavement in majority of cases (at least in MI) the ending lane is not marked at all. The dividing line ends all of sudden and a drivers simply keep going until they are too close to each other and have no clue who must yield whom.

There are no arrows indicating that you must merge, there is no different thickens and/or strip frequency dividing line indicating the lane would end. A driver keeps going as the edge of the road drives, or some other marker... which most of the time is wrong.
Of course no blinker is in use and the bigger wins.
Or the less stupid loses.

#15 ·
1. One of the oldest tricks for slow-thinking careless drivers: They'll sit in their spot on a side street, you're 1/2 mile away. When you're 50' away, they pull out and roll at about 20 for a few hundred yards. Then they nail it and go 10 over or more. Thanks.
2. Timid mergers. Usually no signals--what, that would upset someone?--and they get ripping along at 40, maybe even 50 MPH, they "merge" and some time later they awaken from their slumber and get up to highway speed.
3. Device-distracted. Half the people I see on city surface streets have their face in their gadget. If I was a cop I could write a ticket every 5 minutes all day long and still most of them would get away. They sit at a light for 2, 4, 8 seconds, engrossed with their BFF and totally unaware of their surroundings.
If I were a carjacker, these are the people I'd target. Many probably wouldn't notice they'd been tossed out of their cars, as long as they had their precious toy with them.

#22 ·
3. Device-distracted. Half the people I see on city surface streets have their face in their gadget. If I was a cop I could write a ticket every 5 minutes all day long and still most of them would get away. They sit at a light for 2, 4, 8 seconds, engrossed with their BFF and totally unaware of their surroundings.
In Chicago the cops hid on an overpass and targeted people on their phones, relayed which drivers were distracted in traffic to units up ahead to pull them over. They wrote on average 100 tickets an hour. They said the only reason they couldn't write more was they didn't have enough cars on the far end to write them up!

#16 ·
Yielding and merging on ramps is a state by state traffic code some states yield and some states merge. a state that merges will have a sign on the ramp and on the travel lane for those approaching a ramp to know that there is merging traffic ahead and is responsible to allow merging traffic to enter, the states with yielding on ramps it is up to the ramp traffic "ONLY" to make safe entry where as in merging both are responsible.

#20 ·
And I think it all comes down to one thing.

EDUCATION and HANDS ON experience on road under QUALIFIED supervision.

Let me give you an example.

To get a driver's license in the state of Idaho - I had to merely pass a written test and the next day a driving test.
Sure, I had a license from Poland at that time and it was used to let me skip the 30 days supervised training.

And here is the trick - the training time was required with someone who had a license and was 21 or older.
As for the written test requirements - basically none. Just learn and pass. You could have 7 wrong answers... that is a bit high IMO.

Now, how it is done in Poland.

In general - written test - it is a bit more complex and you must answer correctly at least 35 of 40 questions within 45 minutes.
Then - parking test (several parking maneuvers) and open road including highway.

Seems same; however, before you get near any of these tests you must pass 20-hour training in class. Yes, there is a test after the class which may disqualify you and you might be needed to take more classes.
Take the written test and then you are allowed to take another 20-hour class. This one prepares you for driving test.
So, several hours on the parking lot and rest on the road. Depending on your skills the instructor might split the hours differently.
And then, after passing internal exam you will be allowed to take the official test.
If, for any reason, you do not pass it after two attempts, you are sent for additional training hours.

Rules are same for the whole country. There is no state, or local rules... All of them are same. Hence, wherever you go - you know how to behave.

Now, some of you may say, after seeing all those dash cam videos from Russia, that we are crazy drivers.
Well, maybe to some extent we are, but we do not stick to left lanes, we merge quickly, we use turn signals, and we must take our cars for a through inspection once a year.

#23 ·
I find myself watching for 2 wheel drive trucks with unladen rear ends; esp in the rain. 2 wd trucks, so often have skimpy tires and they fishtail, GAWD only knows what those worn out shocks are/aren;'t doing - I see spinouts on wet surfaces. I notice them with lawn-mowing & landscaping equipment, all bogged down in the rear, with the steering wheels not unloaded and 4 people crammed in the cab.
Here's another KILLER. From time to time, look at the car you park next to. See if the front tires are WORN heavily, but the rear tires are still showing good tread - probably indicates lack of total car maintenance as well.

#25 ·
This is the perfect thread for me, Here is my list in no particular order

Left Lane drivers going the speed limit or under, or staying right next to the car on the right so you can't get past.
People cutting off semis
Distracted driving in any form
people leaving their blinkers on
going one under the speed limit
people that forget how to drive when it rains, snows, or is really nice out
tailgaters
people that drive like they own the road with kids in the car
people merging like there is no traffic
cutting someone off
having inoperable brake lights
speed up slow down drivers
people that take their sweet time to pass
people that don't turn right on red
people that drive slow and make you miss a green light
when someone is crossing the street on the other side and they won't turn right even though there is literally 30 feet between the person and them
people that get over in the right lane in order to be the first at a light but they are going straight and you are turning
people that do not utilize their blind spot monitoring system
people who do not turn their lights on at night time. WTF
people that sit there for ten minutes when the light is green
people that honk literally a quarter of a second after the light turns green
people that honk in general
when someone doesn't use their blinker to turn and instead just slams on the brakes and turns
when every honda at a red light revs at you and thinks they are in fast and the furious

Just a few, I have many more. I hate peoples driving. LOL
Tyson

Reactions: Neanderthal
#28 ·
Lol Tyson this is great!

About people that don't turn right on red. I frequently ride in cars with customers and its really funny (sad) how many people just chill there until its green. The whole reason I had them take that route is that way we didn't have to wait for lights.

Its really concerning that how many people I ride with don't drive with any sort of common sense. 9 out of 10 test drives are horrendous, and I understand driving a different new vehicle with basically a stranger can be a bit much but still. Ive learned just to expect getting nearly in an accident every time I go out glad I have my seat belt and air bags..

#26 ·
oh one that really pisses me off when a semi is merging on the freeway and either no one lets them in or they try to speed around it. They are bigger than you, if they want in they will get in
Tyson

#33 ·
Just today.

I'm driving in the right lane on the hwy doing 60 in 55 mph. I'm approaching a vehicle so I slow down to 55 and I continue to get closer so I move to the left lane and resume my 60 mph speed. As I get along side of them they speed up and stay with me. I need to exit in about 1 mile but I continue in the left lane at 60 they maintain speed with me so I slow down to move behind them. I Slow down to 50 and get behind them and as soon as I get behind they decelerate to 50 also!! I follow and deal with it... I exit and SMH lol

This happens so often on this stretch of hwy. In about a quarter mile it turns to 70 mph and people will drive 55 for a few miles also in the 70. In both lanes mind you because its a major commute freeway outta city. Traffic in a 70 zone going 55 when in this area we really don't have crazy traffic.
Example Four to six cars will in each lane just wolf packing at 55 no other cars for as far as the eye can see in front of them, just funny and frustrating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.