Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been driving my Forte 5 SX - Mt for two weeks now and absolutely love it. As I live in the great white north, any advice on snow tires (preferably factory spec sized) would be more than welcome.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all, been driving my Forte 5 SX - Mt for two weeks now and absolutely love it. As I live in the great white north, any advice on snow tires (preferably factory spec sized) would be more than welcome.
Welcome to the group! Good looking car!

I've had several different brands of snow tires, though not on my forte5 yet. However, my favorite set were the nitto nt-sn2's. They performed just as well as blizzacks, were cheaper, and lasted longer! The road noise was a little more noticeable over the blizzacks though.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Looks just like mine....

As for winter tires.
That is a big problem.

OEM size is so expensive... and taking them swapping them twice a year - disaster.
Going smaller (rim) is not easy as only a few rims will fit!!

Plus, limited in sizes of the tires due to small clearance in the front fender. What a car... But I am afraid of not putting them on for winter.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Welcome to the forums! One of the many reasons I love living further down south is I dont have to worry about winter tires, not sure I'd be much help in that area but good luck finding a set!

·
Registered
188 Posts
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/23-...res/16-aftermarket-wheels-forte-turbo-12.html

page 12. I think imo I have a good combo for wheel and tire ratio. I'm not sure on the fitment for rims but I'm goi9ng to be pulling the trigger on some soon. running these 18s in the winter is incredibly dangerous and besides winter tires on 18s are kind of expensive and you can get a set of wheels and tires for the same price.

welcome to the forum great looking 5!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello and welcome fellow Ontario driver :)

The winters I have on my F5 are:
Gislaved Norfrost 100 and 16" steel rim, 205/55/16. Was about $965.00 from the dealer in 2014.

I did initially have concerns about the 16" steel rim, as I know the SX has larger brake discs and some had said smaller wheels wouldn't fit. Given the dealer supplied these and had no concerns, I'm ok with it. Yeah, doesn't look as sexy on steelies as on proper alloys, but I don't mind that.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
and you can get a set of wheels and tires for the same price.

welcome to the forum great looking 5!!
Do you have enough clearance in the front well using 205/60x16?

What exactly wheels did you use?

EDIT.
I think I should move the post to the wheels thread...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I've always liked the Michelin X-Ice... Right now I'm using the Toyo GSI5 because I got them for a steal of a price. They are just OK.

I think X-Ice will be my next choice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do you have enough clearance in the front well using 205/60x16?

What exactly wheels did you use?

EDIT.
I think I should move the post to the wheels thread...
I spoke with my kia parts guy and he has a emulator for tire and wheel size. and that's what we came up with that would be close to stock ride height. its actually like 1/16 larger but basically the same. speedo will be off by less than a mph

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey dude, I live in Nova Scotia and know ALL about winter...

I am using 16" kia rims (included with my buy price) and they have studded blizzaks on them. I have seriously never had an issue with them, and this car is a monster in the snow. I live up a hill on a dirt road and they have gotten me through 8 inches of snow no problem

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Studded tires are the BEST in winter! Pity that Illinois prohibits them... :(
I disagree. Especially in Chicago area... unless you have streets covered with 0.5 m of packed snow and ice on the top. That is when they shine.
The rest - noise, less grip on hard surface (concrete, asphalt), and noise (again)... lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey dude, I live in Nova Scotia and know ALL about winter...

I am using 16" kia rims (included with my buy price) and they have studded blizzaks on them. I have seriously never had an issue with them, and this car is a monster in the snow. I live up a hill on a dirt road and they have gotten me through 8 inches of snow no problem
Cool thanks. How does traction/stability control behave with those smaller tires? Or do you just turn it off once it gets slippery?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello and welcome fellow Ontario driver :)

The winters I have on my F5 are:
Gislaved Norfrost 100 and 16" steel rim, 205/55/16. Was about $965.00 from the dealer in 2014.

I did initially have concerns about the 16" steel rim, as I know the SX has larger brake discs and some had said smaller wheels wouldn't fit. Given the dealer supplied these and had no concerns, I'm ok with it. Yeah, doesn't look as sexy on steelies as on proper alloys, but I don't mind that.
I was a bit concerned that traction/stability control woul be messed up by the narrower tires. I think the manual says something to that effect. How does your car handle in dry conditions with those tires on there?

Also, my dealer is pushing the gislovads as well. Any good?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I was a bit concerned that traction/stability control woul be messed up by the narrower tires. I think the manual says something to that effect.
Sorry, but your dealer will be pushing this what they make the most profit on...

As for narrower tires - do not worry. Traction does not care what size you have as long as all 4 are the same.
The narrower is always advised for winter due to the fact of better traction on slippery conditions, such as ice or snow. With narrower tire you get better friction (higher pressure on the ground contact - weight is same, but tire width is smaller). The only two limiting factors are the total diameter of the tire and the rim.
Rim must clear the brakes. That is the biggest issue I find so far - get the right rim.
Next, the tire - the best size is 195/60x16, but not really common. It is exactly same size as 225/40x18. Next would be choice between smaller 205/55x16 or larger 205/60x16. Depending on offset of the rim you may have some clearance issues in the wheel well.

I always run smaller tires for winter. None of the cars I have owned thus far complained. If you go with smaller or larger (total height) size, your speedometer will be a bit off. A bit means 1-2%, which is most of the time negligible.

Reactions: staax

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm running 205/50R17 for winter. The 17 inch rim will clear the brakes no problem, while I've also found only a few select 16 inch rims will clear it.

They are also almost a direct match to OEM size... There's a 0.25 inch difference or something (can't remember off the top of my head but just use a calculator for exact difference if you're curious).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts