Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago I replaced the oil in the car and then noticed a few drops of oil on the underside of the pan coming from the drain bolt.....this weekend I loosened the bolt, then tightened it up to 16 lb-ft and drove it a bit....not as much oil but it continues to get past the bolt and original gasket.

I am thinking of either purchasing a new gasket/ bolt pan from Kia along with an OEM filter when the time comes to drain the oil in 2500k miles

however when researching online, I saw a few sources recommend an oversized drain plug or putting teflon tape on the bolt.

What do you all recommend? with 10k on the car, an oil drip is driving me nuts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
633 Posts
My first oil change I did at the dealer - was free and I supplied my own oil.

When its finished the tech says we replaced your drain pan bolt - I asked why and he said sometimes they come poorly made from the factory.

In my head I'm thinking BS - you probably screwed up the threads. Regardless I documented it in the invoice so when I do my next oil change myself I'm gonna have a look and make sure everything is all good.

No leaks though.

I would only use OEM filters and make sure to replace the crush washer... On my old Mazda and my GFs Civic I always replaced the crush washer every second oil change. If it leaked I just tightened it a bit more and everything was good.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you buy your filter from the dealer it will come with a new crush washer and cost the same as a decent aftermarket filter.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
when i bought my 10 pack of oil filters, i got 10 crush washers with them. no reason to not replace it everytime.

Reactions: CrazyFritter

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
crush washer... unless there is something stuck under it causing non even pressure to the pan.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have to buy the filter and crush washer each time.

I'd drain that oil again and inspect the new bolt / threads on the pan with photos taken of each. I'd be willing to bet they cross threaded the drain plug. But then again, I have trust issues... :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I changed my oil to Pennzoil Ultra Premium with an OEM filter and new crush washer provided them last week.

I was heading on a 1800 mile round trip from GA to PA and back and wanted fresh oil for the trip.

Checked it out yesterday and sure enough, the drip is back.

Should I replace the drain pan bolt or go ahead and get a new oversized one to force some new threads in there?

·
Registered
981 Posts
So I changed my oil to Pennzoil Ultra Premium with an OEM filter and new crush washer provided them last week.

I was heading on a 1800 mile round trip from GA to PA and back and wanted fresh oil for the trip.

Checked it out yesterday and sure enough, the drip is back.

Should I replace the drain pan bolt or go ahead and get a new oversized one to force some new threads in there?
Are you just snugging the bolt or are you putting enough to start crushing the washer?

It takes a pretty good amount of pressure to seat the washer, actual torque spec is ~ 32 ft.lb

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow that's alot of torque!

I havent been using a torque wrench and have been doing it by feel.

guess I'll give that a shot in the morning.

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts