Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. Whoever is going to run these I figured we should have a thread dedicated to them and see how everyone is going to run them and place them in the engine bay. I will be running 2 catch cans. One on the pcv valve and one on the engine breather that connects to the intake.

Here is a goo thread about catch cans from turbosocks http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-performance/214-oil-catch-can-thread.html

Here are my catch cans. I will get pictures this weekend after I fab up mounting brackets and where to run them.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got them off ebay. I offered 80 each and they tool it. They are normally 89

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
How do you know there version 2. Can't wait to see the diy. These are a must. Just need the funds

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look at their older ones they don't allow for the optional vent to atmosphere like these do

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be trying to do them tonight or tomorrow. One thing is you want them sitting low so the oil stays in the can

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Never heard of running two. Did Tork recommend this

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You run one on the pcv valve and then one on the engine crankcase breather. It's the best way to keep the junk out of the intake and keep the valves clean since these are gdi motors

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my mounting spots figured out so now I have to fab up the mounts. I got some flat metal 1" wide to make them out of. I also need to get some smaller lines once they are mounted. I should be ready in a day or so. I'm going to take pictures along the way to show where I mount them and how I ran the lines.

·
Registered
518 Posts
ive had my catch can on for a while and have only had a couple drops of what looked like gasoline. you would start seeing more stuff in there if you turn the boost up. did you add the return line going back into the intake?

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have both pcv and engine breather cans. I change mine iut every 1-2k miles and there is a good amount. The gas smell is normal for this motor. Mine always smells like it

·
Registered
468 Posts
so I have a question.. when installing a catch can that attached to the Pcv line.. do you needs to put a check valve on it or do you just run straight hose.. and if you do run a check valve what kind to you get.. and what is the size of the air hose to connect to the pcv line and what is the size of the hose you use for the crank case breather hose..

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be getting a one way valve soon for mine. From what tork has said that i should put the valve where i connect to the pcv hose that goes under the manifold. Then just run the line from the can straight to the pcv valve. I havent seen a filter put on the can before. Im not running one on mine and i get all kinds of crap in my can lol

·
Registered
518 Posts
so I have a question.. when installing a catch can that attached to the Pcv line.. do you needs to put a check valve on it or do you just run straight hose.. and if you do run a check valve what kind to you get.. and what is the size of the air hose to connect to the pcv line and what is the size of the hose you use for the crank case breather hose..
when you get your catch can just get one of the fittings that come in the box so you can take it inside any auto parts and dry run it on every size hose so you get the correct size.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fitting is 3/8"

·
Registered
468 Posts
good answer all.. I wonder what kind of check valve we should run.. ?

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think tork has them for $15. I am going to check the vt forums because its been discussed there and posted where to get it

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think there are lurkers on this page and people who just like to see what others are doing.. and there are people on this forum that are mechanically, inclined or just straight out mechanics.. a step by step of how to put a set up together.. would do a lot for our forum.. and the people with just a pinky toe in the waters of modding.. it seems the Catch can of choice of a lot of people.. is the ADD W1 or the Mishomoto..so what are you guys running?

·
Registered
89 Posts
OEM PCV valve: FRAM FV266

·
Registered
439 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I never really understood the vented catch cans but I think I get it now. So when you are boosting with the check valve on the pvc/manifold side. It is not letting any pressure back to the catch can or crankcase. But if you are building pressure in the crankcase while boosting then that pressure would have no where to go since the check valve is closed. But with the vent in the can. It will vent there. Under normal driving while not in boost the vent on the can is closed since there is vacuum and it works like normal. The vacuum in intake is sucking air from crankcase.

I just have a cheap air compressor filter in my car. It collects quite a bit of stuff so it works. Not the best set up but for $20, it's better than no can. Also the pvc rubber hose is slightly smaller than 3/8" but it still works. Just tough the get stock line on 3/8 fitting and vent from the crankcase side is smaller than 3/8 but use a good clamp on it and 3/8 hose works great.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts