Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I almost could have caused a bigger issue than helping by adding an oil catch can with insufficient tubing material and bad routing .
I ran the tubes from the passenger side into the Pvc and intake . It all looked great . I took my kid to his moms family's house then I looked at me Defi gauge reading . The cars temp gauge didn't move but the Defi temp reading was 204-215 . My intake temps started rising from Average 84-110 to 125-150 . I stopped the car as soon as I could and popped the hood !! The hoses got hot and collapsed under the cover . Just to get home I removed the cover and slacked the hoses cutting all the tie downs . The temps instantly started to go back to normal . I got home and removed everything and put it back to stock . I'm going to save up for a 6th kit now . And I'll just toss this up as a lucky loss

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it from autozone . No special type or brand . Just says fuel line 3/8ths

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wow... That's exactly what you should be using too.

Would've liked to see how you had it setup so I could avoid it haha... No offense. My catch can is in the mail.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had it running in front of the valve cover . My best guess is it cooked under the cover turning it soft . To re run them again I would suggest more slack and using some kind of elbow or run it from the drivers side if you have no air box . This is how I've seen it most . Running it over the motor there's a bit too much heat . It would explain why 6th used the steel braided lines

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
finally figured out to post pics from my phone !
Well if you look on the intake side that hose curving around the sensor went pancake on my ass . From what I can guess the valve cover was not venting in vac and the pressure built up and cause the engine to overheat . But there seem to be two temp sensors . One on the engine that the computer reads the other on the radiator . I have the Defi monitoring everything and it showed 210f on the Defi , yet the cats temp gauge didn't budge . Thank god I had the Defi on because if not I never would have noticed the problem

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I used 3/8 power steering line. Haven't had a issue yet with both my cans and I have had them on for over a year

·
Registered
634 Posts
I would've never expected the heat from the engine to be a problem, as a matter of fact I expected it to be a benefit.

I'm leery on running a can this winter due to stories if the lines themselves freezing, or any crap caught in the lines... Then of course you gotta worry about the crap in the can freezing too.

I'll find a way to route mine and share it whenever it comes... Just bought a cheap eBay one to start - if it works I'll buy a better one.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im going to run it from the driver side when I get the Sri . Then it will be a strait run . I'm also going to get some mishimoto lines . Not far off from the cost of these fuel lines . Kind of upset I paid soo much for this hose . 24$ for 8-10 feet I think .

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I have mine on the driver side with my CAI. That's pretty pricey for that hose. I paid $24 for power steering line and it has steal braid in it to

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is how I should have mounted it . No heat to interfere and no chance of hose kink

Reactions: Forte5

·
Registered
634 Posts
I bought one of those cheap 1L square cans off eBay. I don't think it'll fit there even if I got an SRI eventually. My plan was to mount it where you had yours originally, might have to revisit that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bad luck, good thing you caught that!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Curious as to why it got hot, even with the line pinched any pressure that builds up gets vented out the other port and into the intake tube. This car has a 195° F thermostat and will see higher temps especially when running A/C, but have you ever sit and idled for a long period of time to see what the temps the cooling fan cycle at? On at 210° and off at 195°. If the hose was being sucked flat check to make sure the one way valve is in the correct direction you might be allowing boost through and stopping the vacuum from doing what it needs to.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Also another thing to look at is the intake temps will see those numbers in stop and go or slow moving traffic and much of it has to do with the radiator fan blowing on the intake temp/map sensor and all surrounding plastic it is mounted in. If you never see intake temps above 85-110 you are either in a cool climate or have a FMIC. Stock IC is going to average around 35-40° above ambient for normal driving not highway at 75mph. Mine has seen 175° on the dyno with a front mount on a 100° day so yes it happens and don't think the catch can caused it, maybe you opened the hood for a bit which let some heat out then got in a little boost pulling back on the road which cools the temps down.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish I would have known it was a 195°-210 . That's about where it was going . Intake topped out at 155 ° but I'm glad it did scare me because I never would have caught the kinks in the hoses . Thanks .

Reactions: Forte5

·
Registered
634 Posts
Other than the spot you mounted it or next to the battery (without stock intake) there doesn't seem to be any other viable place to put it.

I think I'm still going to mount it in the same spot as yours, just use an elbow or two to keep the lines as straight as possible.

Might look like shit, but I'm not showing off my motor to anyone so I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have not looked at my engine bay yet but if you look at Forte5's can setup . He's running the primary can low in the bay . I could probably mount it there with the stock airbox still installed .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.