Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a device called FIXD that is supposed to be "dummy friendly" and plugs into the OBD port by the steering wheel and syncs with iOS & android devices to tell you in plain english what's wrong when the engine light comes on and can also clear the light. It also is supposed to tell you when and what maintenance is required which seems pretty handy. The downside is that it doesn't report anything beyond the engine systems and if there is nothing wrong then it doesn't give you any report.

As I got into reading about these systems, I was overwhelmed by all the different brands and related features. Another system that caught my attention was "Blue Driver". This seems to be more extensive than FIXD (and a little more expensive of course).
Since, I probably won't get an "engine check light" for a few years out (hopefully), the Blue Driver gives reports in real time about different metrics of the vehicle and can at least provide some education...

Has anyone used one of these devices (any brand) for their KIA? If so, what brand and any thoughts or experience you'd like to share?
Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ah the joys of iOS. You cannot use one of the Bluetooth ODB plug-in things, such as the Elm327. It must be a wifi one (Apple restricts what can be done over bluetooth on iOS, hence the need to use a WiFi one). There is the - expensive - Scantool OBDLink MX Wi-Fi Scan Tool which I suspect works very well. I think it launched in 2014, so I suspect there might be cheaper versions around now. I've not really checked.

As for the App, hmm not sure. I seem to recall DashCommand, but its not free. Seems there are various free ones on the App Store, but cannot comment on how good they are.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Can you use USB version of OBD2? It has much higher PDI/s rates. My BT one gets maybe 20 PDI/s while USB got 110 PDI/s.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Can you use USB version of OBD2? It has much higher PDI/s rates. My BT one gets maybe 20 PDI/s while USB got 110 PDI/s.
Which USB unit are you using? I was thinking I would hard-wire one to my HU and use DashCommand.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Which USB unit are you using? I was thinking I would hard-wire one to my HU and use DashCommand.
I use this one: ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWM0R4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a bit more expensive than all BT ones, but is fast. I can easily do scan frequency of 0.1 second for 10 items and still get the data through.
I am not sure only what is the limitation on ECU.

Also, I got the adapter for microUSB for my phone. Well, old phone that I just keep in the car for testing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use this one: ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWM0R4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a bit more expensive than all BT ones, but is fast. I can easily do scan frequency of 0.1 second for 10 items and still get the data through.
I am not sure only what is the limitation on ECU.

Also, I got the adapter for microUSB for my phone. Well, old phone that I just keep in the car for testing.
Great thanks for the help.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Obdii is limited to 2300 baud if I remember correctly. Wiki says 10.4kb/s. Bluetooth is much faster than that. The more partners you try to monitor or log the shower your reads will be. The nice thing is in some apps like torque you can set priority to some. So your coolant temp will read every 10 seconds instead of multiple times a second as an example.

On a side note, it might be cheaper to just get an old Android phone or tablet with one of the elm327 units.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
What does 2300 baud or 10.4 kb/s mean? How does it compare to PID/s?

I am not sure why you would refer to 10.4 kb/s while CAN protocol allows up to 500 kb/s transfer rate.
From what I tested KIA is CAN. And I think CAN is required for US cars.

OBD BT version could get up to 20 PID/s. A lot or not. Depends what you need to accomplish.
If you are looking into some troubleshooting then scanning at 0.2 s rate is desirable. Boost may change 10 psi in 0.3 second, engine speed change... so with this rate I could monitor maybe 4 parameters assuming all of them are transferred correctly and the adapter can handle it.
I would see some lagging.
But that was with the 8.99 USD version of adapter.

The cable one - this was fine for 10 parameters at 0.1 second scan.

Problems I found, though, was reconnecting. Once the adapter was disconnected from ECU, Torque would go through automatic search and when reconnecting, it would be in sleep or searching through other protocols.
Anyway, for good results I suggest cable.

For basic - BT will do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
CAN it's set for 500kb/s. I don't know if most of the adaptors use the pins for it though. Here is the info from wiki

ISO 14230 KWP2000 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
pin 7: K-line
pin 15: L-line (optional)
Physical layer identical to ISO 9141-2
Data rate 1.2 to 10.4 kbit/s
High signal voltage level: +12V (min/max 9.60 to 13.5)
Message may contain up to 255 bytes in the data field

ISO 15765 CAN (250 kbit/s or 500 kbit/s). The CAN protocol was developed by Bosch for automotive and industrial control. Unlike other OBD protocols, variants are widely used outside of the automotive industry. While it did not meet the OBD-II requirements for U.S. vehicles prior to 2003, as of 2008 all vehicles sold in the US are required to implement CAN as one of their signaling protocols.
pin 6: CAN High
pin 14: CAN Low
CANH signal voltage level: 3.5V (min/max 2.75 to 4.50)
CANL signal voltage level: 1.5V (min/max 0.5 to 2.25)
All OBD-II pinouts use the same connector, but different pins are used with the exception of pin 4 (battery ground) and pin 16 (battery positive).
Wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Also here is the wiki article on baud. It's more of a network term used by us old folks (AOL dial up days)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baud

1 - 10 of 10 Posts