Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this because of the downpipes? I asked for a catted downpipe and still notice when I'm idling from the side view mirror there's exhaust smoke like it is when your engine is cold on a cold day. Probably won't see it in the summer but time will tell.

Speaking of, I notice there's a really strange (but good?) sound when I'm going WOT and hitting the top range of the RPM. It's hard to explain the sound but it almost sounds like the Turbo whooshing like the sound a fan makes when you spray water on it.... like the blades are hitting turbulence and makes this oscillating cutting sound. Sounds cool and try to hear it every chance I get which means I"m breaking serious speed laws.

For guys in the GTA area you know the Lakeshore portion under the Gardiner from the Rogers Centre towards Bathurst, midway there's a off ramp from the Gardiner so the other night, I take off normally then this Mini next to me starts accelerating hard and I rip it all the way the the top of 3rd and before I know it, I'm doing about 120-130km/h in a 50-60 zone. Lo and behold who happens to be coming off the highway is a Crown Vic with stealth livery I quickly hit the brakes down to about 80-90km/h which is still moving violation. I almost shit myself but luckily he ignored me. I'm sure he saw me coming up from behind pretty quick and heard me as well, lol.

So guys, the smoke is it normal? For those with experience with aftermarket donwnpipes, muffler deletes.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Smoke? Mean like steam?

Put your hand in the smoke, or a piece of white paper. See if it condenses or leaves dark spots (oil burning?).

Catless exhausts are "colder" meaning CAT burns the extra fuel that got through and by doing this produces more water vapours along with warming up the gases.
So in theory you can have more steam coming out for longer. Also, no muffler means heat is not held anywhere under heavier loads, hence in the idling situation pipes are colder than with the muffler that would retain some heat.

Just my thoughts. No true experience, though.
Yet I can definitely say that my rear bumper is quite warm after a drive, especially on summer. OEM exhaust is very warm.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably more steam than smoke. I suppose you're right about the absence of a muffler more of the exhaust would make it out of the pipes and cause the condensation from the colder temperature. I only noticed it when I was sitting in a drive thru with the car behind me and his headlights.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Mine, being stock exhaust, but tuned, "smokes" pretty much all the time on cold weather. Only after a long drive, meaning at least 30 minutes or at least 20 miles, it gets warm enough to keep the fumes hot. But they condense just a few cm farther... so basically it never stops.

And remember - you are in Canada, where winter is always welcome :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same here, stock exhaust beside 2nd cat and can see steam is mirror all the time, especially when sitting longer on lights.
We can catch up so you'll be able to compare

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts