Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the OEM oil filter supposed to come with a crush washer? What I've read here and elsewhere seems to indicate so. I just bought three (26300-35504), broke the seal on the first box, and no washer.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Oil filters having a crush washer - where did you read that? Typically, an oil filter just needs a snug hand tightening, with the o-ring filter given a light dab of oil prior to spin-on, then just hand tighten "snugly". There is no reason whatsoever to YANK a wrench on a filter to tighten it. The engine warms up and increases the pressure on the filter.
Are your filters missing a round circular gasket that should be visible? Post a photo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry for the confusion... no, I was referring to the washer for the drain plug.

Admittedly, I've never changed my own oil before, but it seems easy enough, and I want to treat this car right.

As for where I read that...
  • "I switched to the OEM because of how much cheaper it was with the washer!" from this post
  • "If you buy your filter from the dealer it will come with a new crush washer" from this post.
  • "when i bought my 10 pack of oil filters, i got 10 crush washers with them" from this post.
  • In this guy's video, he takes the filter out of the box and the washer is under it.
So it doesn't come with the filter?

·
Registered
514 Posts
some places will supply it and some dont for whatever reason.
when i got my 10 pack online i made sure they stated that it comes with the washers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some places will supply it and some dont for whatever reason.
when i got my 10 pack online i made sure they stated that it comes with the washers.
Thanks for the clarification. How are the washers packaged? Not in the box with the filters, I assume. I picked these up from my local dealer, I guess I should call the parts department and bug them about it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I usually just buy my filters from the dealerships. I have to ask or purchase the crush washer separately; sometimes they'll ask if I need one too but most times I gotta ask for em.

The have a giant box full of em and just hand me a washer.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sorry for the confusion... no, I was referring to the washer for the drain plug.

Admittedly, I've never changed my own oil before, but it seems easy enough, and I want to treat this car right.

As for where I read that...
  • "I switched to the OEM because of how much cheaper it was with the washer!" from this post
  • "If you buy your filter from the dealer it will come with a new crush washer" from this post.
  • "when i bought my 10 pack of oil filters, i got 10 crush washers with them" from this post.
  • In this guy's video, he takes the filter out of the box and the washer is under it.
So it doesn't come with the filter?
Do you have the drain pan, wrench, drive up ramps, gloves and instructions to change you're oil?. It IS easy, but you have to learn to do it right. DId you select your motor oil and filter yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have the drain pan, wrench, drive up ramps, gloves and instructions to change you're oil?. It IS easy, but you have to learn to do it right. DId you select your motor oil and filter yet?
Thanks for the concern! I'm aware of what's involved. I don't yet have a drain pan, but I'm planning to pick that up when I get the PUP 5W30. But it is a little silly to ask if I chose a filter when my original question is that I didn't get a drain plug washer with my filter. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for the concern! I'm aware of what's involved. I don't yet have a drain pan, but I'm planning to pick that up when I get the PUP 5W30. But it is a little silly to ask if I chose a filter when my original question is that I didn't get a drain plug washer with my filter. :)
It's not silly to discuss your filter selection, independent of the crush washer. Are you going to use OEM branded filters, CHEAP orange FRAM or a synthetic media filter? Keep in mind the oil filter will stay attached independent of there being a crush washer; so will the drain plug if snugged up correctly.
Do you have a drain interval in mind?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Figured I should pop back in and mention that I stopped by the dealership and they gave me three free washers with no hassle.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts