Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Its been a long time since i have posted on here. R2 got totalled by hail so now im rolling around in an F5 golfball. Its been a rough couple months but now i come with a new issue. I have a 2015 F5 sx A/T and my mods are in the signature.

Ok so here is what happens. I put my foot all the way down and the engine doesn't shift. At about 5500 rpm in any gear my car feels like the governor is kicking in and it almost violently jerks until I let off of the gas and then it will shift.

It seems to have something to do with heat because it doesn't do it freshly warmed up until the 2nd pull. But it is a guarantee to do it after a few miles of normal driving.

I've tried using the paddles and it does it as soon as I try to shift if my foot is still down. I have also taken it in to KIA and they have told me it's normal....... bullshit. It didn't do this 5k miles ago so WTF?

Please if anyone has knowledge or experience with this issue help me. KIA has proven useless as usual.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Actually that sounds more like the issue that arises with the fuel line kink or collapse that these cars are prone to. Ive had it happen a few times mostly on long trips during hot weather. Ill go full throttle and somewhere between 4500 to 5500 rpm it hits a wall and won't rev or shift, rpms just hang like hitting a limiter.

What happens is the stock lines are a bit weak and heat plus the pressure and demand duty cycle when you go WOT throttle lets the line either twist and kink shut or collapse on itself. There is a TSB for the veloster turbo but not the forte. You may still be able to get it replaced under warranty if they're nice. If not consider a upgraded line.

The issue with it is getting it to happen while they're in the car. It seems to happem most when its hot and after longer periods of driving. So if its sat at the lot or only been driven a ahort time they may just give you the old no issues found.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will look at my fuel lines tomorrow and see if there is anything that looks off.

I'm just glad to have a direction.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Really not sure if a visual check will show anything. If you had a way to monitor Fuel line pressure when it happens its a given itll show up if that's the cause. Its definitely what it sounds like though amd hopefully might give the techs at least a direction if they're not totally useless.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My car (M/T) is in for the 2nd time with the collapsing line. I think it's the fuel pump not having enough for and the high pump causing negative pressure therefore collapsing the line.

If you have torque you can watch fuel pressure and see where it is hitting. If it's getting close to 2500psi you probably have the issue.

Another way to tell us the lower you start the gear the sooner you will hit that wall.

The dealer told me it was normal the first time, that I was hitting some sort of trev limiter. Told them a rev limiter is not a floating target and if it's a boost or power limiter why is happening on a stock car. I handed the keys right back as the car was only 5 months old at the time and told them to explain to me how. Threatened lemon law as is its a driveability/safety issue.

The real problem is not the techs, but tech line. The non customer facing group of people have no idea what they are talking about.

But in all fairness is a safety issue if the car will not accelerate which can cause an accident and needs to be corrected with a higher flowing pump and stronger line material (it's plastic)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Limiter is higher, about 6500 rpm, hence it is the engine not spinning up to speed.
It senses WOT so it waits until close to 6500 rpm to upshift.

It could very well the fuel lines, but consider air restrictions, timing/spark plugs (if pinging starts occurring, it will retard timing and might not reach certain rpm to upshift), also boost.

Do you have boost gauge? Does it keep pressure all the way?

Also, what are your mods? Sig is missing...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am definitely leaning to the problem being the fuel line. I thought it was weird that there would be a Rev limiter around 5k rpm. It also wasn't happening 5k miles ago and I havent installed anything crazy.

Guess my sig is missing so here are my mods.
6th SRI, 6TH Res, single catch can, turbo xs sml bov. The rest of my mods are visual and suspension.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Fuel line is the most common, however, keep your eyes open on other things....
is the catch can OK? If there is plenty of oil vacuum could suck it in...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I was wondering if you guys could state how many miles you had on your car before the fuel line/pump problems.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I was wondering if you guys could state how many miles you had on your car before the fuel line/pump problems.
I never experienced that. Currently 17.5k miles. And I put some hard climbing (WOT uphill at 4500 or above).

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine started at 10k miles if that is what it turns out to be. Gonna order the braided from 6th either way just to have a safety mod.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good news!!!

I ordered and installed the 6th fuel line and put some plumbing tape on the drain bolt of my OCC and my car runs perfectly!!!

It was kind of a b**ch to get the old fuel line out but the installation of the 6th element fuel line went smoothly although I didn't have an 11/16th wrench thin enough for the engine bay fitting and marred it up a little but everything else went smooth.

If you have a weird issue that seems like its transmission related and haven't gotten this fuel line yet, it is definitely time to!

Reactions: CrazyFritter
1 - 13 of 13 Posts