Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the event that the engine goes, how much should one expect to pay for a new one? I remembered a few years ago when Hyundai announced crate engines for their Genesis Coupe and they were close to $10,000.

I came across these on eBay and they seem rather inexpensive. Is this the complete assembly?

https://www.ebay.com/b/Complete-Engines-for-Hyundai-Veloster/33615/bn_1405415

$1,000-$2,000 USD.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your looking at bone yard engines, the shipping will be a huge part of the cost. You would be better off looking around your area so you can cut out any shipping involved.
That stack of engines is, i'm guessing, is just an image they use for advertising the sale. Don't think that a bone yard has stacks of them, they may have one or two or most likely have to hunt one down for you from their network of junk yards. Most likely complete engines but you would have to check with each sale because a lot of times bone yard engines have components damaged from the accident or the the removal, cut wires hoses brackets bla bla bla. There are going to be a lot of engines in the market place due to recent hurricanes and flooding, be careful what you buy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your looking at bone yard engines, the shipping will be a huge part of the cost. You would be better off looking around your area so you can cut out any shipping involved.
That stack of engines is, i'm guessing, is just an image they use for advertising the sale. Don't think that a bone yard has stacks of them, they may have one or two or most likely have to hunt one down for you from their network of junk yards. Most likely complete engines but you would have to check with each sale because a lot of times bone yard engines have components damaged from the accident or the the removal, cut wires hoses brackets bla bla bla. There are going to be a lot of engines in the market place due to recent hurricanes and flooding, be careful what you buy.
Always wise to exercise due diligence, however, the location advertised is actually just in my backyard. We haven't had any major storms in recent memory but I suppose a quick VIN verification could reveal where the engine originated?

It's a town in Southern Ontario, Canada, just 30 minutes from Toronto.

I'm a bit confused about the term 'bone yard engines. IT sounds to me like engines from wrecks but looking at the advertised mileage that's not possible.

I suppose I could email them.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
And why would you need one?

Depending on the damage, it may or may not be worth getting a new one.
However, keep in mind you NEVER know what you are actually getting, so... be alert.
I am saying 1.6T are many times tuned or pushed.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm a bit confused about the term 'bone yard engines. IT sounds to me like engines from wrecks but looking at the advertised mileage that's not possible.

I suppose I could email them.
Bone yard engines are exactly that. Cars that were totalled are bought by a lot of salvage yards that'll pull them, test them, and resell em.

Some cars could drive right off the lot and be smucked by a semi truck or something. Frame is all shot beyond repair, but the engine/transmission could be untouched.

I've bought a salvage yard engine from a wrecker before when I blew the motor in my Dakota. Aside from being told it had 130k for $550 I had no idea if it was good or not.

Turns out it was and had good compression and lasted till I got rid of the truck. Comes with a 30 day warranty too so if for some unlucky reason you get a dud you can get a replacement.

Oh and also some places will you let you hear the motor running first.

Btw if you're talking about LKQ, avoid the Quebec locations. Man are those guys pricks.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
If taken care of I don't see why this car can't last 15 or 20 years. I see some old Civics running around still.
Those are not same...
Engines nowadays are stressed much more. They produce much more power from same volume. Old Civics are what? 1995 Civic with 1.5 l makes 70 HP, the most you got 125 HP from 1.6? Make it 200 HP for us now... sure, it is better construction (I hope), but turbo will not make the engine last longer for sure.
I agree, it would be nice to have a replacement, but if I am covered by warranty for the next 90k miles/9 years, I will not bother with extra engine. Unless I tune and go crazy. But then it is not my daily driver, because for daily driver I need something dependable.

·
Registered
514 Posts
you could also buy one for fun to do as a rebuild side project and use it later if you ever need to or want to replace it.
otherwise not a wise investment unless you really are in need. by the time you need one later the prices might be cheaper too.

Reactions: PLP

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
you could also buy one for fun to do as a rebuild side project and use it later if you ever need to or want to replace it.
otherwise not a wise investment unless you really are in need. by the time you need one later the prices might be cheaper too.
for fun I would get one, but if it was maybe 500 or so... spending 1500 on engine I will not use and is almost impossible to sell - I'll pass.
the problem with our cars is their limited availability and very limited demand.
From what I see here on the forum, people do not really stick to them too much. The latest example - Gaijin. He did not even bother looking into another 1.6T.
Playwithmymind was I believe the only one who rebuilt his engine...
Several others sold their cars and moved on.

So I would be careful with this investment.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
634 Posts
I gotta be honest, I'm really tempted to sell the Forte and get a Mazdaspeed 3. Super good deal on a 2013 low mileage one near me (Best of all it's White :) ).

Just can't justify getting another car so soon and take a massive hit on the Forte's resale value.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gotta be honest, I'm really tempted to sell the Forte and get a Mazdaspeed 3. Super good deal on a 2013 low mileage one near me (Best of all it's White :) ).

Just can't justify getting another car so soon and take a massive hit on the Forte's resale value.
You know you'd get next to peanuts for the trade in. No enthusiast will do you a solid and buy your car with the mod's value in tact, either.

Like it or not, separation from this car isn't going to be favourable for us. If I had to buy another 2nd car, it would definitely not be a FWD car. Something along the lines of a Foxbody or RX7, MR2 or something classic like that. That's about the only regret I have with the car but this is a daily. That said I do want to make it a little more enjoyable with what I have. Getting a second car right now just isn't feasible.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah I hear ya.

Im hoping Kia will step up their game in the next few years in terms of reliability. Probably trade my car in for a Sorento once the warranty is up so my wife can have her SUV... I'll take over her Civic.

That is providing they are reliable and are still super cheap.

I almost feel I need to trade a Kia for another Kia given the resale value haha.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike my car. I've had next to no issues with it, I'm just itching for more power (aren't we all?)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I hear ya.

Im hoping Kia will step up their game in the next few years in terms of reliability. Probably trade my car in for a Sorento once the warranty is up so my wife can have her SUV... I'll take over her Civic.

That is providing they are reliable and are still super cheap.

I almost feel I need to trade a Kia for another Kia given the resale value haha.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike my car. I've had next to no issues with it, I'm just itching for more power (aren't we all?)
I thought about trading it in when some good deals were had for the 3.8 Gencoupe after they announced discontinuation. That's about the best trade-in you can hope for is staying within the family. RWD isn't a must but if Hyundai/Kia brings out an AWD version of a hot hatch, I'd give it serious consideration then. For now, I'll see how far modding it can take it. Not going crazy, but ST/MS3 numbers will probably be enough.

If you're looking for MS3 performance, it wouldn't be too hard to achieve with this car.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
If you're looking for MS3 performance, it wouldn't be too hard to achieve with this car.
I think trading for 2013 MS3 would be almost straight - maybe a bit to add to the pot.
Yet, beating 2.3T is impossible with 1.6... unless you do some crazy modding with internals.
Yet then you deal with reliability, so you might want to have the extra engine afterwards :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Haha yeah I don't think the 1.6T could compete with the 2.3T unless we're talking HEAVY mods, but even a tune a few basic bolt ons to the 2.3T and it'll wipe the floor with the 1.6.

I actually had a 2012 Mazda 3 (not turbo) and thought it was a great car. I wanted a MS3 and was looking for months and could not find one. That's when I checked out this car and for the price I didn't think I could go wrong.

Given the resale value of our cars one would be tempted to drive it into the ground, but without knowing the true reliability of the 1.6T yet I'd be hard pressed to see this thing last much longer than 200k kms (120,000 miles)... Not including all highway mileage.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think trading for 2013 MS3 would be almost straight - maybe a bit to add to the pot.
Yet, beating 2.3T is impossible with 1.6... unless you do some crazy modding with internals.
Yet then you deal with reliability, so you might want to have the extra engine afterwards :)
I meant to say 279-300hp can be done reliably with our engine. Of course mod for mod it isn't going to stand up to a bigger displacement engine.

I don't know what's included in the MS3 in terms of features and what not, but call me bias, I prefer the Forte5 over the MS3's dated looks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha yeah I don't think the 1.6T could compete with the 2.3T unless we're talking HEAVY mods, but even a tune a few basic bolt ons to the 2.3T and it'll wipe the floor with the 1.6.

I actually had a 2012 Mazda 3 (not turbo) and thought it was a great car. I wanted a MS3 and was looking for months and could not find one. That's when I checked out this car and for the price I didn't think I could go wrong.

Given the resale value of our cars one would be tempted to drive it into the ground, but without knowing the true reliability of the 1.6T yet I'd be hard pressed to see this thing last much longer than 200k kms (120,000 miles)... Not including all highway mileage.
I just checked my loan and I have $5k left. I can't believe I've been paying it off for the last 3 years now. That being said, if I paid it off in one shot, I'd be free and clear and the thought of going into another deep loan just gives me enough reason to stay grounded. Who wouldn't love a bit more performance, new car smell, etc. but I rather have money in the bank with so much uncertainty going on in the economy right now. Businesses are already cost-cutting in anticipation of the new minimum wage hike but that's another story for another day.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I hear ya about the loan thing. Thing is... They are asking 17,000 for a 2013 MS3 with 44k kms (the PO even had it Krowned too). My 16 SX has 32.5k kms.

I think I could make a deal for nearly a straight trade.. maybe a little extra cash. I'm on a 0% term for the next 4 years... I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay off what I owe since I bought the car but from a cash flow perspective I'm best to ride out the finance term.

I still really like the MS3 lookwise, I got over the smiley face bumper. Only thing that still irked me was the lack of center storage. Wallet was always having to go in the cupholders slot... God forbid I had more than 1 drink on the car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have the hard numbers but I bet fuel mileage is better than the Forte and you get a considerable amount better performance out of the box. If they wanted a straight trade, I'd probably do it myself. It's not an 'old' car, there's a guy on YT who traded in his '16 WRX for a '05 WRX / STI and loves it heaps more.

Guess it comes down to what you're comfortable with. I'd hate to be driving something I'd hate every day, imo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.