Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Just got my 2016 Forte5 SX Turbo two days ago and i can say that i like the car so far. It is a little different coming from a 2015 Optima SX Turbo which is why I'm posting this thread in case anyone wants to know of differences in performance, etc... If you have questions, ask below.

First i can start off by saying that the suspension is definitely different, but that's expected as it's a smaller car, doesnt feel as solid as the K5. The performance is also lower but also expected coming from the 2.0T to a 1.6T and feels like the engine needs to work harder to produce power (engine sounds loud above 4k rpm in the forte5) I do have the automatic so i feel that im making a rather unbias comparison between the two in saying that obviously the Optima had more power and in accelerating (especially top end speeds) the Optima would most likely crush the Forte5 1.6T auto.

All that aside, i'm excited going from my lease to financing the Forte5 and can't wait to start modding! What sites do you all recommend to buy parts?

Thanks in advanced,
DJ ZEUS

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Welcome to the forum! With mods, your Forte will come to or surpass an optima. The engine responds really well to mods.

We just finished developing our tune for the automatic. There is a thread in our vendor section on this site about it. It was a forum member here.
That will be for sale soon, but we have a bunch of difference bolt-ons for your car available.

Any questions you have about the car, feel free to ask :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
According to mag times anyway, the Forte is actually the faster of the two to 60 which I would attribute to the big weight difference. But they're equal in the 1/4, so like you say at the top end the 2.0T is building momentum faster.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
welcome...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
welcome

2.0T vs 1.6T - no way to get even close in comparison... I wish I could put 2.0T into Forte

·
Registered
524 Posts
But is that a manual forte or auto to auto comparison?
Auto to auto. Actually C&D puts the Forte significantly faster in both 60 and 1/4. But the Optima has a much higher top speed.

Forte5 SX auto - 6.3 to 60 - [email protected] in 1/4
Optima SX-T auto - 6.8 to 60 - [email protected] in 1/4

http://media.caranddriver.com/files...-kia-forte5-sx-turbo-automatic-test-sheet.pdf
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...st-review-car-and-driver2016optimasxturbo.pdf

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Hello all! Just got my 2016 Forte5 SX Turbo two days ago and i can say that i like the car so far. It is a little different coming from a 2015 Optima SX Turbo which is why I'm posting this thread in case anyone wants to know of differences in performance, etc... If you have questions, ask below.

First i can start off by saying that the suspension is definitely different, but that's expected as it's a smaller car, doesnt feel as solid as the K5. The performance is also lower but also expected coming from the 2.0T to a 1.6T and feels like the engine needs to work harder to produce power (engine sounds loud above 4k rpm in the forte5) I do have the automatic so i feel that im making a rather unbias comparison between the two in saying that obviously the Optima had more power and in accelerating (especially top end speeds) the Optima would most likely crush the Forte5 1.6T auto.

All that aside, i'm excited going from my lease to financing the Forte5 and can't wait to start modding! What sites do you all recommend to buy parts?

Thanks in advanced,
DJ ZEUS
Welcome to the forums!!! Were you ever on the Optima forums?

If you've seen us on there we carry a large line of products for the Forte's as well! Let us know if there is anything we can help you with

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's crazy :eek: I'm just going based off how the drive felt and coming from driving the optima for the last 18 months and switching to the forte5. It feels like a definite downgrade in pull. I did however notice that the forte5 had some pull with me and the car salesperson in it during test driving with practically no gas... They filled me after signing contracts, etc.. but with Shell 87, the person said that Kia's where designed to run 87 octane after i said, "What are you doing, give me the good stuff!!". After this tank I'm filling it with 91 (highest offering in So-Cal (that I know of) and we'll see if that makes a difference which i think should.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forums!!! Were you ever on the Optima forums?

If you've seen us on there we carry a large line of products for the Forte's as well! Let us know if there is anything we can help you with
Yes I was on the optima forums the second I got the K5 and always wanted to order several items you guys have in stock at the optima store but it was a lease.. I will be buying stuff for this little beast though, for sure!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah, the additional torque does a good job of tricking the ol butt dyno into thinking the 2.0T in the optima is faster. But have to remember it's also got 500 extra pounds it has to boat around.

87 is all you need until you get a tune. It is designed for it. Just be sure to stick to top tier gas.

·
Registered
534 Posts
in addition to the weight difference, the manual also has a significant gearing advantage. I have both available to me (wife has a 15 optima SX-T). My car will keep up with hers off the line, but at 85 i am turning over 3k, closer to 3500 and hers is at 2200 ish. Hers also pulls almost all the way through the power band, while my 1.6 starts gasping for air after about 5.5k

Handling, the lack of IRS SUCKS on these cars. But with the collars, rear brace and torsion bar my car feels alot better on the highway than hers does. One advantage is our tires or 40 series while the optima is 45. But hers feels a bit more floaty, but also much more cush.

Another advanatge is payment, i have more mod money....when i am ready ;)

cliffnotes:
forte advantages: weight savings and close + high numerical gearing, early torque (1300 rpm if i remember)
Optima advantages: displacement, power, top end of both speed and rpm range

the new optima i have not driven but also has the lower full torque point (1350 i think) due to the twin scoll turbo.

In addition, one big advantage i think we have is for the upgrade path, the turbo on the optima is integrated into the manifold.

Lastly, depending on options, fuly loaded really cuts into the weight savings we have. I think fully loaded adds another 2-300 lbs. Don't quote me on that number though

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
in addition to the weight difference, the manual also has a significant gearing advantage. I have both available to me (wife has a 15 optima SX-T). My car will keep up with hers off the line, but at 85 i am turning over 3k, closer to 3500 and hers is at 2200 ish. Hers also pulls almost all the way through the power band, while my 1.6 starts gasping for air after about 5.5k

Handling, the lack of IRS SUCKS on these cars. But with the collars, rear brace and torsion bar my car feels alot better on the highway than hers does. One advantage is our tires or 40 series while the optima is 45. But hers feels a bit more floaty, but also much more cush.

Another advanatge is payment, i have more mod money....when i am ready ;)

cliffnotes:
forte advantages: weight savings and close + high numerical gearing, early torque (1300 rpm if i remember)
Optima advantages: displacement, power, top end of both speed and rpm range

the new optima i have not driven but also has the lower full torque point (1350 i think) due to the twin scoll turbo.

In addition, one big advantage i think we have is for the upgrade path, the turbo on the optima is integrated into the manifold.

Lastly, depending on options, fuly loaded really cuts into the weight savings we have. I think fully loaded adds another 2-300 lbs. Don't quote me on that number though
Our exhaust manifold and turbine are one cast piece too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHTLq0aDoX0/

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
early torque (1300 rpm if i remember)

Hers also pulls almost all the way through the power band, while my 1.6 starts gasping for air after about 5.5k
I think it just falls in power (tune). Torque drops quickly due to small engine. The earlier we get high torque, the earlier it ends for the power increase.
2.0 has more power to begin with due to displacement. And comparing 2.0T from KIA to VW - ours are much more stressed than VWs. It seems like KIA puts stage 1 tune in the factory.

Our exhaust manifold and turbine are one cast piece too.
Why would this make a difference?

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Why would this make a difference?
I was just correcting what I thought he meant by him saying that we have a separate exhaust manifold from the turbocharger. He said we have an advantage on upgrade path by swapping the turbocharger (my understanding of the way he said it).

We don't have a separate exhaust manifold/turbocharger, so swapping a turbo requires a new exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I was just correcting what I thought he meant by him saying that we have a separate exhaust manifold from the turbocharger. He said we have an advantage on upgrade path by swapping the turbocharger (my understanding of the way he said it).

We don't have a separate exhaust manifold/turbocharger, so swapping a turbo requires a new exhaust manifold.
Oh, I see now. I just thought that maybe there is a different design (except catless) that makes it more efficient or better.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Yes I was on the optima forums the second I got the K5 and always wanted to order several items you guys have in stock at the optima store but it was a lease.. I will be buying stuff for this little beast though, for sure!!!
Awesome to hear, not sure how long ago you were on the Optima forums but I started out there as a member back in 2011, I miss my SX sometimes!

We are still working on getting more of our Forte products up on the website! If you find anything you're looking at and don't see it on our site you can always email me for pricing [email protected]

See you around the forums :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts