Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a question...today I took the family and went shopping and due to not having my number plates as yet...I was really riding her hard (no pun intended ).

And that's where the problem comes in...when u comes around slight corners or weaving through traffic...she seems to be floating if u understand what I mean.

There is a major break between the driver, the steering wheels and the car...at time it feels like I'm loosing control due to the steering feedback....

Note that I am pushing her very hard when this happens...normal driving is fine...

Any advice guys?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
have you adjusted the steering stiffness setting at all?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you adjusted the steering stiffness setting at all?
Yup, driving on Normal at the moment. Watched a lot of review vids of the car and apparently this was the only issue with the car.

They said there is a disconnect with Motor Driven Power Steering and the car and road, irrespective of the drive mode it is set too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sport is actually recommended by the manufacturer for highway use and spirited driving in the manual. Anything other than sport feels loose to me, too much delay between input and response. The stock tires are also garbage, I recently switched to BFG COMP 2 A/S and it buttoned down the car nicely. I also installed a set of the Tork subframe collars and that took some slop out too. Now the car turns in more predictably with less chatter over bumps from the steering and less tramming on the freeway. A set of Chassis braces( which I have on the way from Evilla Motorsports) would be all that is needed to finish making this a competent handler.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't worry it felt the same when I first drove my Koup after coming from a VW MK V11 Golf but after a few weeks I didn't notice it again I must have got use to it, the only time I notice it now is when I have been driving another car for an extended time then hop back into my Koup. The Aussie Koups suspension was tuned for our conditions by local experts which made it handle different to Koups from the US and I would think your Koup would have the same suspension settings too being a RHD car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sport is actually recommended by the manufacturer for highway use and spirited driving in the manual. Anything other than sport feels loose to me, too much delay between input and response. The stock tires are also garbage, I recently switched to BFG COMP 2 A/S and it buttoned down the car nicely. I also installed a set of the Tork subframe collars and that took some slop out too. Now the car turns in more predictably with less chatter over bumps from the steering and less tramming on the freeway. A set of Chassis braces( which I have on the way from Evilla Motorsports) would be all that is needed to finish making this a competent handler.
Will try the sports mode again...but when I got the car, it felt like I wasn't getting the feel when driving the car....more like a simulation.

Wow u have a great build going on there. Hope u don't mind if, if I use a few of them

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Did you cover all the basics?

First on is tire pressure... many times you are left with 50 PSI "storage pressure".
Then, you are aware of rear axle being a torsion bar? With this you get totally different feeling of the car.

Finally, I need to add that on uneven road, with many asphalt cracks, bumps, the car feels weird when driven a bit faster. Wheels are either too bumpy or shocks are too weak. That is how I would describe the feeling.

Reactions: ashlee1za

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@PLP wasn't aware of the rear axle being a torsion bar 🤔...Tire pressure is correct🖒.

Yeah very similar feeling with a lot of understeer, but is this normal on a new car or in this case the Kia Koup as per the review vids?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah the steering on this car has often been described as being "numb". I noticed it a lot when going from my Mazda to this car. I leave it on the Sport setting all the time and I've kinda forgotten about it.

A couple weeks and I'm sure you'll adjust, but I would leave it on Sport mode for sure.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Also don't forget new tires always feel squirrelly cause the knobs are tall and they wobble.

And agree on the sport mode. It keeps the car from feeling as floating.

Collars and rear torsion beam plus rear brace also helped for me. Dunno if you have both those options in a koup though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, will change to sports mode and leave it on then.

@Staax same scenario...coming of a Mazda as well, which was my trade in.

@Scoobdude we should have those options as the only difference is a hatch to a koup....hopefully.

Thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Switched to sports mode but haven't had a chance to play today, due to traffic. Hopefully this week or the weekend to see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Switched to sports mode but haven't had a chance to play today, due to traffic. Hopefully this week or the weekend to see if it helps.

Once you switch to sport, does it revert back to normal with the next start cycle?
Mine does.... and it is annoying.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Collars will tighten that up a bit, as for the rest, you may need to look in to a bit stiffer suspension in order to feel a bit more of the road, there is a learning curve when driving a new car, all takes some getting used to. The ride in the stock Forte's seems loose, more of a luxury feel than a sport tuned suspension, But then again. My suspension is on full stiff, I may just be used to it. LOL
Tyson

Reactions: ashlee1za

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once you switch to sport, does it revert back to normal with the next start cycle?
Hey PLP, will check when I go to work in the next 30 mins and let you know

·
Registered
633 Posts
That's odd. You know.. I vaguely remember mine doing that when I first got the car... Since I changed it the first few times it hasn't reset. Itll always stay in Sport mode for me.

Have you had your battery disconnected for a while (30 mins or so) since you've had the car?

I remember you being the 2nd owner... I wonder if this is one of those features that "learn" your habits... Doubt it but I wonder if your car is defaulting to the most used mode.

Hmm

·
Registered
534 Posts
On my wife's 2015 optima it has eco, normal and sport mode. These are drive modes but also affect the steering as well on that car. Normal and eco mode will stay after a drive cycle but sort will revert back to normal. Again this is drive mode not just steering setting. Maybe something similar is new for the 2016 model.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
@ashlee1za, sorry for stealing the thread for a moment.

So let me reiterate.

You get to the car. You set the steering mode into Sport. Next time you depress the steering mode button it will initially display the current setting (Sport) and only with the next toggle it will go into Comfort, right? So that's the way you can check if it is still in Sport.

So, in mine, you set to Sport, during the same trip, you depress the button again - it says Sport. Then, you restart and depress mode to read Normal. It does not matter if it comes from Sport or Comfort, after restart you end up with Normal.

Video below.

I start with Sport, restart Normal. Do it again, restart - normal. Do it again... then go to Comfort. Normal again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts