Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a new JVC Head Unit to my 2014 Kia Cerato Koup. I had two problems I couldn't get the factory reversing camera working so I fitted a new CCD camera into the where the original unit went with the help of a Dremel, and it works better than the factory one with a wider angle of view and a clearer picture. I also found the factory rear window aerial was very week so I mounted a normal aerial int behind the A pillar near the window and now I get a much better signal on AM and FM.
The sound of this new system hooked up to my 4 channel Power Amp and Pioneer component speakers sound really great so much better than the original crappy KIA unit.:rolleyes:
001 [50%].jpg 002 [50%].jpg 003 [50%].jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Head unit looks nice in there. Which unit did you have before? Did you get the steering wheel connections to work? Also what about the factory USB and aux connectors? Lastly did you get the summer to work with the light sensor or when the lights turn on

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looks great and thanks for sharing about the backup camera solution. Nice work!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Head unit looks nice in there. Which unit did you have before? Did you get the steering wheel connections to work? Also what about the factory USB and aux connectors? Lastly did you get the summer to work with the light sensor or when the lights turn on
I had the basic radio and screen with backup camera, USB and Aux mounted in the consul. I didn't worry about the USB as the new Unit has one on the front, I could have connected a Aux (i phone ) lead from the back of unit but didn't bother as I would never use it. The built in steering wheel controls work great for music and radio and was easy to connect but I lost the answer and hangup buttons on the steering wheels which I never use anyhow.
I wired in the factory Bluetooth microphone and it works well. The last question I think you asked is whether I got the dimmer to work using the wire on the back of the new head unit, I connected it to the factory harness connector A but it doesn't work but the new unit has a dimmer option in the menu which I set pretty low so the screen doesn't blind me at night driving.
I cut the wires on connector B of the main harness and used the large Orange wire as the Battery+ the Blue as Accessories and the Black as ground wire, the other two wires on this harness I used was for Bluetooth Microphone . There is another small connector harness which I used the grey and green wires to connect to the steering wheel audio controls.
Here is a photo where you can see my old unit on the left. Mods_zpsmojq52jd.JPG

·
Registered
534 Posts
Awesome and thanks. For the dimmer I think there are two wires, one is from the ambient sensor and another from the dimmer switch. Just pointing that out in case you wanted to research it further.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Awesome and thanks. For the dimmer I think there are two wires, one is from the ambient sensor and another from the dimmer switch. Just pointing that out in case you wanted to research it further.
Thanks for the info, I just checked the Wiring Diagram out again and I noticed that on Connector "A " there is two wires for illumination one is + the other is -, I only had the + wire connected to the new head unit and didn't have the - wire connected to ground. So hopefully that is the source of my problem with the dimmer.
The only other problem I'm having is with the radio reception, here in Australia we only have FM and AM and with the factory aerial connected both are weaker and AM is just a lot of static, I might try a antenna booster although they don't get good reports but worth $10 for a try.
Also with this JVC Head Unit it takes a long time to load MP3 files from my thumb drive much slower than the factory Unit, I tried a better quality device and it's a bit faster but it's not a major concern. The whole exercise of installing a new head unit has been a real learning curve but it was worth it for the improvement in sound quality over the factory installed unit, I now have the best sound system I have ever had in any of my cars it was really worth the effort.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Awesome, yeah the head units now have much better eq set ups and time alignment etc. These both help with the over all sound and can clean up some if the high and low points in the stock speakers.

The fm boosters do work fyi. Still won't be as great as stock but I had a BMW that had no antenna input so i just used a booster and got decent signal. This was about 15-20 years ago also so I am sure your results will be better

Congrats over all though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had another look at my wiring and found two wires for illumination in connector A, one negative which I earthed the other positive which I connected to the illumination wire on the back of the head unit, I also found on connector B a wire marked Auto lights and i thought that might be from the sensor on top of the dash so I connected that also to the illumination wire on the JVC, still no go. I put the head unit back in the dash and called it quits, oh I did try this AM/FM antenna booster but it did nothing for my weak signal on AM a complete waste of money. I'm just happy to have a great system with steering wheel control and backup camera, next project some LED DLRL's hopefully I can work out how to wire them into the ignition switch.
Deluxe Inline CAR Antenna Aerial Radio AM FM Signal AMP Amplifier Booster AU | eBay

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'd like to throw in a nice aftermarket touchscreen deck with NAV but I've actually gotten so used to the voice commands for playing music off my iPod. So simple to say "Play iPod artist xxx" and it works.

Trying to navigate through the listing of songs or artists on the small 4" screen is awful.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just for fun, put a digital camera with good video recording (or cell phone) and play some different music on it and post it to youtube. Love to hear it even though it won't be a perfect re-creation - still be very interesting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try a video today and post it... Another question on my 2014 non navigation version I have a roof antenna even though the original aerial for my radio head unit is the back windscreen, is this roof antenna just a dummy aerial or is it an actual antenna with all the fittings as I would like to try it as a an alternative to the crappy signal I'm getting with my rear antenna

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it houses the SAT and nav antennas as applicable.
Thanks I think I will put up with my antenna on Back Window FM is pretty good and only drops out if I go way out country and it's pretty hilly here, AM isn't much but there's nothing much on that anymore. Someone ask to do a short video on Utube of the sound, I tried with my Nikon DSLR but the bass overpowers the sound, in reality the bass is deep and tight. You will here what the signal is like on FM and AM too.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks I think I will put up with my antenna on Back Window FM is pretty good and only drops out if I go way out country and it's pretty hilly here, AM isn't much but there's nothing much on that anymore. Someone ask to do a short video on Utube of the sound, I tried with my Nikon DSLR but the bass overpowers the sound, in reality the bass is deep and tight. You will here what the signal is like on FM and AM too.
It's immediately clear that there is very little distortion and voices aren't boxy or compressed. I"ll bet it sounds excellent in real time. Well done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts