Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just got a 2015 Forte Koup SX with the tech pack (sweet deal over 2016). I'm looking to install some mods. Overall I'm more interested in a BOV to improve the sound of the Turbo. I read online that if I want to improve the sound of the turbo is better to put a aftermarket intake. Honestly, I want a better answer. Should I first install the BOV, or put a intake, or do both? Also, I'm looking to lower it a little bit from the back (it is kind of higher compared with my previous Koup 2013), ay advice in lowering will be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
135 Posts
You can bypass the bov and vent it to the atmosphere, just make sure to put a cap on the intake. There is a forum post around here explaining how to do it.

If you get an intake you vent the bov to atmosphere no matter what, so what it really boils down to is if you want to spend money or not. For intake I really recommend 6th element engineering CAI.

Instagram @darth_forte

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You can get the blow off valve sound 3 ways.

#1 - Remove the stock recirculation hose and cap the intake tube. Your stock valve is now venting to atmosphere and completely audible. Nothing wrong with this.

#2 - Buy aftermarket valve. You can get Forge Motorsport or TurboXS.

#3 - Buy an intake. Most intakes make you get rid of the stock recirculation hose, letting the valve vent to atmosphere.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You could just put a cone filter on the stock intake for a quick cheap fix for now and you will get the sound you need for the price of a filter

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Sorry for reply late. I appreciate your recommendations. I was thinking not adding too much mods for now, so I think I will install the Cone Air Filter for now. I just have a couple of questions:

1) Which filter you recommend? Many people are installing the Specter, but which model, the 3 inches?
2) I know how to remove the cap from the stock filter and the filter, but how do I remove the box? Is there any special extra part attached to the box that I need to be aware?
3) Some people seems to be noticing that adding a cone filter can reduce performance, is this true? If so, why?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks for the idea. Which model the forte koup 2015 sx uses? The 3 inches?
3" filter and a short piece of 3" piping to connect the filter to the tube, The intake tube is actually 3.25" so you have to get creative or search till you find a 3.25" pipe and filter.
Some auto parts stores will have plastic intake piping and adapter sleeves around the same location as the specter filters.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Hi,

I just got a 2015 Forte Koup SX with the tech pack (sweet deal over 2016). I'm looking to install some mods. Overall I'm more interested in a BOV to improve the sound of the Turbo. I read online that if I want to improve the sound of the turbo is better to put a aftermarket intake. Honestly, I want a better answer. Should I first install the BOV, or put a intake, or do both? Also, I'm looking to lower it a little bit from the back (it is kind of higher compared with my previous Koup 2013), ay advice in lowering will be great. Thanks in advance.
If you are looking to save some money and want the sound + performance... remove the hose that goes to the factory valve and get a Big Gulp intake from damnfastdd.com

Neither of these should impact the warranty.

Thanks,

Tork Motorsports

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for reply late. I appreciate your recommendations. I was thinking not adding too much mods for now, so I think I will install the Cone Air Filter for now. I just have a couple of questions:

1) Which filter you recommend? Many people are installing the Specter, but which model, the 3 inches?
2) I know how to remove the cap from the stock filter and the filter, but how do I remove the box? Is there any special extra part attached to the box that I need to be aware?
3) Some people seems to be noticing that adding a cone filter can reduce performance, is this true? If so, why?

Thanks in advance.
1. A good filter that is bonded at both ends. We use our own white box filters from a very reputable manufacture.
2. Box removal is easy. I think its two 10mm bolts, but there might be a third one on there that I don't remember.
3. Who are these people? Are they putting the car on a dyno to confirm, or are they just guessing? We dyno everything we do and provide those results. So, don't trust peoples guesses at what they do and don't do... get the real numbers from someone who had dynoed them. If need be I can dig up some dyno charts showing that they do in fact add power to the car.

Thanks,

Tork Motorsports

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
3" filter and a short piece of 3" piping to connect the filter to the tube, The intake tube is actually 3.25" so you have to get creative or search till you find a 3.25" pipe and filter.
Some auto parts stores will have plastic intake piping and adapter sleeves around the same location as the specter filters.
Most automotive stores should have a 3.25" of tubing on the shelf. Do not try to use a 3" piece of tubing, we have seen the rubber crack and get sucked into the turbo when you try to tighten down the clamp to compensate for 3" tubing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
While a lot of cars will behave erratically if you stick a cone filter on the stock intake due to it throwing the maf sensor off, these cars have no maf sensor on the intake. Instead they use a MAP sensor in the intake manifold to read velocity and airflow, density, manifold pressure, etc. So the more airflow in the more power you'll make. Obviously it's still up to the great ECU gods on a stock car but you're making it easier to hit power limits built into the stock ecu. Now a cone filter vs the stock intake box may alter power delivery but you'll not lose power with more airflow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While a lot of cars will behave erratically if you stick a cone filter on the stock intake due to it throwing the maf sensor off, these cars have no maf sensor on the intake. Instead they use a MAP sensor in the intake manifold to read velocity and airflow, density, manifold pressure, etc. So the more airflow in the more power you'll make. Obviously it's still up to the great ECU gods on a stock car but you're making it easier to hit power limits built into the stock ecu. Now a cone filter vs the stock intake box may alter power delivery but you'll not lose power with more airflow.
Sorry for been naive, but can you explain this again in a more simple way? Specially, the stock vs the cone filter, I will alter the power but not lose power?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts