Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Please excuse me while I try to explain my problem, I just bought a new Forte 2015 turbo 6 speed and love it. I am new to the whole import KIA thing, I love the way a turbo sounds with a blow out valve. Is that possible to do with this stock turbo? Or would i need to upgrade it? I am excited and want some to add some quick must have bolt ons for this car as well, any ideas with what i should do first? Thank you for any advice.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Start with the 6th element Cold air intake. That will get you your spool sound from the turbo and the blow off sound. For now you can always pull the tube going from the intake tube to the bov off but cap the nipple on the intake.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
On our website, Veloster Turbo Big Gulp Intake | DamnFastDD.com the Big Gulp Intake for the Veloster Turbo will Work on the Forte. Things are in the works for adapting blowoff valves since that is what the people want! also, congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the forum!
Tyson

Reactions: Forte5

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Forgot about the big gulp! I have seen it in person and it's another killer product!

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Hello All,

Please excuse me while I try to explain my problem, I just bought a new Forte 2015 turbo 6 speed and love it. I am new to the whole import KIA thing, I love the way a turbo sounds with a blow out valve. Is that possible to do with this stock turbo? Or would i need to upgrade it? I am excited and want some to add some quick must have bolt ons for this car as well, any ideas with what i should do first? Thank you for any advice.
Welcome to the forum! Installing one of our intake systems will get you the Blow off Valve sound you are looking for since we do not recirculate the stock one back into the new intake. We also have a nice line of products for your car.

www.6thelementengineering.com

Congrats on the car, you'll love it more and more each day :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Installing one of our intake systems will get you the Blow off Valve sound you are looking for since we do not recirculate the stock one back into the new intake.
Looking at the dyno plot it looks like there is significantly less torque vs stock in around town driving(below 3500 rpms). Is this just due to how they dyno or is that something you would see in the real world? Reduced power at low engine speeds, but higher at high rpms.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Big gulp comes with a catch can hmm. Interesting. Good price for the combo too.

6th has some really nice products also and comes black (powder coated?) instead of bare. Their catch cans also come with braided lines and such also and are really well put together but will hit the wallet a bit more.

Both are 3.5 sri. 6th also has the option to use as a cai for not much more.

Either way get some cans also. There are other vendors also that sell those. But only those two above post on here (for now) and are the only ones i know that have the 3.5 inch.

@tork or @6th if either of you guys get the bov to recirculate please let us know. With the stock ones tearing so easily i really want to keep all the air behind the filter.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Is the catch can just to prevent carbon build up? That was a big debate in the VW crowd. With some testing showed that the catch cans really didn't do anything to prevent it but going with a water-meth injection did.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The catch can helps prevent build up but also catches water and oil which lower the overall octane from the light reading i have done on the subject.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Is the catch can just to prevent carbon build up? That was a big debate in the VW crowd. With some testing showed that the catch cans really didn't do anything to prevent it but going with a water-meth injection did.
I read some of those threads about some of the VW crowd saying catch cans didn't do anything and after a little searching in other threads they are saying they are diesels. So ya if your car basically burns oil to start with a catch can will have no effect lol. Another big issue is what catch can you use, the 19.99 can off ebay won't do a sufficient job.

Tuning the car for water-met injection means there is no choice but to always use it. Using a wet 30 or 50 shot of NOS will clean the valves just as good and have better power results without special tuning.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Our big gulps also come powdercoated in a large selection of colors.
Tyson

Reactions: Forte5

·
Registered
524 Posts
I read some of those threads about some of the VW crowd saying catch cans didn't do anything and after a little searching in other threads they are saying they are diesels. So ya if your car basically burns oil to start with a catch can will have no effect lol. Another big issue is what catch can you use, the 19.99 can off ebay won't do a sufficient job.
No that applied to the GTIs as well. Just became a given that you'd need a carbon buildup cleanup every 40k or so depending on driving style(highway longer city shorter).

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Looking at the dyno plot it looks like there is significantly less torque vs stock in around town driving(below 3500 rpms). Is this just due to how they dyno or is that something you would see in the real world? Reduced power at low engine speeds, but higher at high rpms.
That dyno plot is done in 4th gear (practically 1:1), so what you are seeing is a direct comparison of WOT from 4th gear at very low rpm to redline to measure power as it's made in open loop conditions. I don't know if we can directly compare that graph to another dyno test done at part throttle in gears 1-3 simulating normal operation (closed loop, partial throttle conditions). I haven't seen or done dyno runs like that, so it's tough to answer your question.

I can say that throttle response as I have felt it is better vs stock. Technically we are reducing airflow restriction on the intake side, which will allow the turbo to operate a little better.

·
Registered
524 Posts
No I mean all on your own chart comparing stock to the ram and cai. Stock is showing much more torque below 3500rpm. I presume they were all done the same way.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
No I mean all on your own chart comparing stock to the ram and cai. Stock is showing much more torque below 3500rpm. I presume they were all done the same way.
Yea, what you are seeing is what is happening in 4th gear going wide open throttle from 3000 rpm. This doesn't accurately depict engine behavior at part throttle in different gears.

Plus, the guy driving the dyno probably didn't start the run the EXACT same way. Meaning, he could mash the throttle early, or ease into it at slightly different rpm. We would have to run the dyno between the intakes at part throttle in different gears if you wanted an accurate comparison for those situations.

·
Registered
524 Posts
OK I was just wondering if that meant the smaller stock opening had a compressing effect at low engine speeds or something and the larger opening on the cai was mostly beneficial at higher speeds.

·
Registered
981 Posts
OK I was just wondering if that meant the smaller stock opening had a compressing effect at low engine speeds or something and the larger opening on the cai was mostly beneficial at higher speeds.
Look closely at the complete intake and you will see the SRI and CAI offered replace the stock flexible tube and air box. There is still a factory section of cast aluminum that is about 18" long between the turbo and any intake system you purchase. The SRI and CAI only minimize the restriction up to that point.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
That's why we need the inlet tube to the turbo bigger. I have a feeling if we open that up even more the turbo could really breath good then

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.