Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome! Koup or 5? From where?
Be sure to check out "2nd gen forte club" on facebook as well.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Welcome, member 1002.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome. Lots of good info and people here on the forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome Guys. I have a 5. First time with a turbo i know nothing about it, how it works or when it works. But I need to know.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Guys. I have a 5. First time with a turbo i know nothing about it, how it works or when it works. But I need to know.
I hope you have fun reading through everything on here. I know I did. When I first bought me kia I had no idea what I actually had. Its unique and quick. Not fast but prolly the fast car ive ever owned. These cars are quite different than some others when you are modding but then again its all very similar. Our cars have quirks like type of oil you should use or plugs ect. But all that info is here and for the few that frequent this forum seem to be more than happy to answer any kind of questions. But instead of starting a new thread just post the question within one keeps organized and gets activity back to that thread if its collecting dust. But if you do post a new thread cuz you cant find something I don't think anyone here is going to bite your head off.

Cheers and have a happy holiday!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome in Jim! I came in from the NA (naturally aspirated) world too and there are some big differences, but regular maintenance is the key to this engine like any other. Keep her clean and she'll treat you right!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
One of the most important things is to make sure you use good quality oil!
Most use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum around here, as do I!

If you need anything, or want to spice up the cosmetics of your car, feel free to visit my site :)
https://thefortesforte.com/

use FTORG to get 15% off!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well ,its always spinning, but you only make boost when you're on the throttle. Our cars make boost crazy early (1750-2000 rpms) so you can get boosting pretty easily :p

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Thanks this was helpful. Is the turbo going all the time or just when you put your foot in to it?
Well ,its always spinning, but you only make boost when you're on the throttle. Our cars make boost crazy early (1750-2000 rpms) so you can get boosting pretty easily :p
Well... no. It does not really spin all the time. It will rotate slowly...
It spins only when it is required.

There are two valves: wastegate (WG) and blow off (BOV). Just like shown in video.

WG is needed to bypass exhaust gases if turbo is not needed. This works slowly in releasing the pressure as the system is still closed (not vented). It only redirects exhaust gases so that they are not spinning the turbine anymore.
BOV on the other hand is a quick solution. When boost is not needed (you let off the gas) it opens big valve and lets the air out.

BOV and WG work independently.

So again. Compressor is not spinning all the time. If it was, and sometimes I wish it was, there would be almost no "turbo lag". However, as a result you would still be pumping air into the intake plenum making BOV to vent all the time.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome.

And yes turbo spins all the time as long as the engine is on (like a fan in the wind it will spin) However it's not making boost but anytime you give it throttle it is artificially changing your vacuum numbers until it gets into boost. Turbos last I checked (a decade or so ago), can spin up to 175k rpms.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Welcome.

And yes turbo spins all the time as long as the engine is on (like a fan in the wind it will spin) However it's not making boost but anytime you give it throttle it is artificially changing your vacuum numbers until it gets into boost. Turbos last I checked (a decade or so ago), can spin up to 175k rpms.
Define spins all the time... is it propelled by the exhaust or air flying through...
It will be freely spinning, only enough to let air through.

Actually, the best way to tell how fast it is spinning would be to take a look on the wastegate and its cycles.

I cannot imagine turbo really spinning a lot when you are in engine braking with closed throttle. If so, it must be either minimal or BOV must be venting all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Spinning, turning, rotating. Is there an RPM break point between turning and spinning?

It's either moving or not moving, I think that is the question. Moving. Rotating. Whenever the engine is on. Yes we can.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts