Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm Donavan. I just picked up my 2014 koup SX auto. I was totally not looking at a forte koup, actually was eyeing a 2.0 ecoboost fusion, 2.0t malibu, 1.8t or 2.0t jetta or passat. Ended up spotting this koup sitting beside a fusion I stopped to look athrough. 4600 miles, still had the plastic under the floor mats, fully loaded, premium and tech packages. Test drove it and fell in love.

My previous ride was a 2012 chevy cruze 2LT, 1.4t 6at, catless dp, catless midpipe, forge bpv, short ram intake with aem dry flow filter, big three grounding kit, ngk vpower copper plugs, trifecta tune 22 to 23 lbs of boost. 189hp 216lbft of tq. But the tiny stock turbo on them falls flat above 5k and this forte koup feels faster stock than my cruze. My cruze also had 4 valve covers and pcv valves, 2 turbos, water pump, intake manifold, pistons and rings, coil pack strip, hot side charge pipe, and on and on replaced under warranty. I didn't run the car hard and actually was on a dual tune that let me run stock boost levels or higher boost and coordinating settings at the flip of switch. Also always used dexos1 spec oil, top tier premium gas, etc etc. The constant barrage of issues on a well maintained and babied car(despite my mod list I done most if it for more torque and drivability, not racing) is what prompted the search for a new car.

I plan on doing basic bolt ons and a tune and a tire swap at first. Will post pics soon :) How's the mod community? I've picked up on tork, 6th element and btr but found a post about tork releasing a obd2 capable tune option and that's really what I'm waiting for. How do these 1.6t hold up to light mods and a tune? I don't want to lose reliability but I'd love a bit more power.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Welcome!

Full bolt-ons and a tune will make a completely different car but still be very reliable. Tuning for this platform isn't really like any other out there (read: pain in the ass) and it sucks it hasn't developed more. Tork is working on their stuff and we just started developing our tuning program as well.

We are working to finish our exhaust system components to offer a full bolt on package for our customers while retaining factory look and driveability. With just our intake and front mount kit on the shop car we are seeing 200whp numbers.
There are many here with that and full exhaust and tunes getting north of 240 whp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome!!! I noticed 6th element was another big name in this relatively small community. I'll definitely be looking into some of your bolt ons as well as your tuning options. I recall seeing a post that you were working on tune software as well. I'm coming from mostly GM tuning that was all done via USB to obd2 port and software flash rather than bench top.

Question is do these ecus learn out any gains from bolt ons? I know with GMs newer cars they use a torque management system that basically dictates how much power,boost, timing, spark advance, etc is needed and no matter the mods it will only shoot for that particular goal of tq/hp for a given situation and then back boost off etc to maintain it. You can see gains under the curve and improved drivability but without a tune on them you're pretty much stuck. I just dread the thought of being without my ecus for however long the turnaround is on bench top tuning and then the inability to flash back to stock if a trip to the dealer is warranted.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Welcome to the Fun and frustrating small word of 1.6 tgdi tuning world.. Sixth element engineering iso ne of the big players.. and the only one that is a Forte First developer.. you see a great number of parts for our drive train come form our sister car the Veloster Turbo.. that platform has a lot more development.. and parts support.. but our motors and transmissions are exactly the same. ( with a subtle ecu code tuning.. . so think of the Veloster as a gen 5 Camaro.. and our cars a Chevy ss.. an LS is an LS.. we just don't have the exhaust options or suspension options.. or body kits, We are a lot rarer and in the end more of a unicorn....
as for as of now Ecu tuning is done by two shops BTR and dame fast racing( tork) Sixth element will have a tuning solution as well.. but it seems all of them are straight Ecu reflashes.. there are no obd2 hand held tuners.. I think this is more of a small market to cost issue.. than an inability to make it happen.. just remember we are a very small market..
As it sits now for the forte.. we have just about any part the Veloster has except a full cat back bolt on exhaust solution. and there is no body kit . there are down pipes catted an non catted. rods, pistons, turbo upgrades, valve springs. intercooler up grades.. but no cat back systems yet. we have fewer suspension options. there are 4 intake options.. I think there are two lowering spring sets.. and one Coil over set..
a little food for thought.. the Ecu on or car is very powerful and smart.. so the ecu can learn the parts you install on it .. but a tune with a stock car can net you 60 whp (230whp) and be completely safe. more is possible with intakes and exhaust and intercoolers.
six element has gotten 30 whp ( 199 whp) form his intake and intercooler upgrade alone. on a stock tune. so this car loves to be upgraded..

·
Registered
516 Posts
Welcome to the Fun and frustrating small word of 1.6 tgdi tuning world.. Sixth element engineering iso ne of the big players.. and the only one that is a Forte First developer.. you see a great number of parts for our drive train come form our sister car the Veloster Turbo.. that platform has a lot more development.. and parts support.. but our motors and transmissions are exactly the same. ( with a subtle ecu code tuning.. . so think of the Veloster as a gen 5 Camaro.. and our cars a Chevy ss.. an LS is an LS.. we just don't have the exhaust options or suspension options.. or body kits, We are a lot rarer and in the end more of a unicorn....
as for as of now Ecu tuning is done by two shops BTR and dame fast racing( tork) Sixth element will have a tuning solution as well.. but it seems all of them are straight Ecu reflashes.. there are no obd2 hand held tuners.. I think this is more of a small market to cost issue.. than an inability to make it happen.. just remember we are a very small market..
As it sits now for the forte.. we have just about any part the Veloster has except a full cat back bolt on exhaust solution. and there is no body kit . there are down pipes catted an non catted. rods, pistons, turbo upgrades, valve springs. intercooler up grades.. but no cat back systems yet. we have fewer suspension options. there are 4 intake options.. I think there are two lowering spring sets.. and one Coil over set..
a little food for thought.. the Ecu on or car is very powerful and smart.. so the ecu can learn the parts you install on it .. but a tune with a stock car can net you 60 whp (230whp) and be completely safe. more is possible with intakes and exhaust and intercoolers.
six element has gotten 30 whp ( 199 whp) form his intake and intercooler upgrade alone. on a stock tune. so this car loves to be upgraded..
1. You forget the uncle chip :)
2. I thought tork had mentioned before that our computer would average out mods or essentially cancel out their gains if untuned. I may have misread that though.

And to the op, welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Awesome!!! I noticed 6th element was another big name in this relatively small community. I'll definitely be looking into some of your bolt ons as well as your tuning options. I recall seeing a post that you were working on tune software as well. I'm coming from mostly GM tuning that was all done via USB to obd2 port and software flash rather than bench top.

Question is do these ecus learn out any gains from bolt ons? I know with GMs newer cars they use a torque management system that basically dictates how much power,boost, timing, spark advance, etc is needed and no matter the mods it will only shoot for that particular goal of tq/hp for a given situation and then back boost off etc to maintain it. You can see gains under the curve and improved drivability but without a tune on them you're pretty much stuck. I just dread the thought of being without my ecus for however long the turnaround is on bench top tuning and then the inability to flash back to stock if a trip to the dealer is warranted.
Tork would be able to answer this question better, and I'll know more as I tune more as well but I say there is a point where bolt on's will only get you so far. The ECU has torque targets and it can limit boost and even close the throttle on you to stay within those limits.

I haven't reached that point in our car yet. I still get full throttle opening as commanded with the intake and FMIC. Once we finish and add our downpipe and exhaust and maybe get a 60mm throttle body on there then we might start to fight the ecu before a tune is added.

·
Registered
981 Posts
1. You forget the uncle chip :)
2. I thought tork had mentioned before that our computer would average out mods or essentially cancel out their gains if untuned. I may have misread that though.

And to the op, welcome!
Uncle Chip isn't worth mentioning lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who makes suspension bits for this? Front end feels plenty planted not much roll but the back end feels a bit softer. Looking like maybe a tire swap and rear sway bar would really make this thing a blast. I read mixed reviews and I didn't really come in expecting a hardcore track machine, however even bone stock this thing handles amazing with just the lack of feedback bring the only real demerit. I think stickier rubber and a thicker rear bar would really make this thing rotate. I live in main eastern ky right in the heart of the appalachian mountains so even day to day driving for me is filled with switchbacks, sweeping radius corners, chicanes, etc lmao. Unfortunately poor road conditions are also prevelant so I'd prefer to keep the stock ride height just a bit less understeer.

I notice that at least for me it's hard to predict how this thing builds boost down low. Mine is an automatic and I have already swapped out the factory oil for pennzoil Ultra synthetic, have a k&n drop in on the way, and some autolite xp5703 ordered as well. I think given the ease and relative cheapness of the intercooler bypass mod it'll be next. Any other easy mods? I found the link with cheap mods and also thought about the vacuum line mod for the wastgate actuator but wondering how safe that really is. On my cruze I had bypassed the bpv solenoid so it fed vacuum right off the intake manifold to the bypass valve and that made a huge difference in drivability.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Who makes suspension bits for this? Front end feels plenty planted not much roll but the back end feels a bit softer. Looking like maybe a tire swap and rear sway bar would really make this thing a blast. I read mixed reviews and I didn't really come in expecting a hardcore track machine, however even bone stock this thing handles amazing with just the lack of feedback bring the only real demerit. I think stickier rubber and a thicker rear bar would really make this thing rotate. I live in main eastern ky right in the heart of the appalachian mountains so even day to day driving for me is filled with switchbacks, sweeping radius corners, chicanes, etc lmao. Unfortunately poor road conditions are also prevelant so I'd prefer to keep the stock ride height just a bit less understeer.

I notice that at least for me it's hard to predict how this thing builds boost down low. Mine is an automatic and I have already swapped out the factory oil for pennzoil Ultra synthetic, have a k&n drop in on the way, and some autolite xp5703 ordered as well. I think given the ease and relative cheapness of the intercooler bypass mod it'll be next. Any other easy mods? I found the link with cheap mods and also thought about the vacuum line mod for the wastgate actuator but wondering how safe that really is. On my cruze I had bypassed the bpv solenoid so it fed vacuum right off the intake manifold to the bypass valve and that made a huge difference in drivability.
Check out what evilla offers for suspension parts. He's actually pretty cheap.
If he doesn't sell suffrage collars I think tork does.
$200 for the collars and that anti roll bar would probably work out nicely.

When you say intercooler bypass are you talking about where you're picking up the boost reading from?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually explored the threads a bit a found the rear torsion bar from evilla and the tork collars. Those are both on my list now lol. The intercooler resonator delete is what I meant. At under 20 bucks I have ramps or Jack stands and can be done in no time. I'm hands on with pretty much anything I can do short of welding or transmission work. The intercooler resonator looks like it would have to be restrictive and serves no laminate purpose in terms of airflow smoothing at that point in the intake tract.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
There are plenty of braces available and we have a prototype lowering spring kit installed and 90% developed. We hope to release them in the next month.

Our factory bypass valve solenoid actually does a great job of boost release when you take your foot off the throttle. It reacts instantly.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you like doing stuff yourself I think there's most or all of what you need for a full hotpipe upgrade in the for sale section for $30 shipped. I could be wrong on that but it's worth checking out.
You should just have to cut the pipe and bead roll it.
That would eliminate the need for the resonator delete and have much bigger gains for about the same price after shipping.
I'very gone back and forth on it for a bit so I want someone else to make my decision for me and buy it themself! Lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even better I was doing some thorough detailing today as it was the first warm sunny day since I'd bought it. Out of curiosity I poked under the mat and cover in the trunk. Lo and behold someone had wired a sound system in the car and left everything there except the amp and subs. After discovering that I revisited the engine bay and upon looking closer they had tucked the wires, relays etc behind the battery and ran them through the firewall. It looks like a professional job or someone with experience installed it as it's quality wires and relays and housings. I was actually remarking to my gf that the stock sound system lacked some oomph and seemed a bit tinny. Now I just need an amp and sub and box.

On other subjects the intercooler resonator delete, tork collars or similar, and rear torsion bar are coming soon. The k&n drop in, xp5703 plugs are gonna be here monday. The stock intake tract seems to pull from the grill and looks fairly efficient at least compared to how convoluted my cruze was and how heat soaked my hhr ss (lnf 2.0t) was stock.

Haven't jacked the car up yet or put it on ramps so can't say how the downpipe looks. In my experience flow rates are subject more to restriction behind the turbo than in front on stock cars. Any decent bolt on dp/midpipe?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Even better I was doing some thorough detailing today as it was the first warm sunny day since I'd bought it. Out of curiosity I poked under the mat and cover in the trunk. Lo and behold someone had wired a sound system in the car and left everything there except the amp and subs. After discovering that I revisited the engine bay and upon looking closer they had tucked the wires, relays etc behind the battery and ran them through the firewall. It looks like a professional job or someone with experience installed it as it's quality wires and relays and housings. I was actually remarking to my gf that the stock sound system lacked some oomph and seemed a bit tinny. Now I just need an amp and sub and box.

On other subjects the intercooler resonator delete, tork collars or similar, and rear torsion bar are coming soon. The k&n drop in, xp5703 plugs are gonna be here monday. The stock intake tract seems to pull from the grill and looks fairly efficient at least compared to how convoluted my cruze was and how heat soaked my hhr ss (lnf 2.0t) was stock.

Haven't jacked the car up yet or put it on ramps so can't say how the downpipe looks. In my experience flow rates are subject more to restriction behind the turbo than in front on stock cars. Any decent bolt on dp/midpipe?
i got the tork dp and everything else was custom. depends on how loud you want it as well. i started with just a custom muffler delete for noise. than got a catless dp and that added a little deeper tone. than just recently got my mid pipe replaced with a full straight pipe. now it just sounds beastly. a little to loud except when at wot when no f***s given anyways and it sounds good. still no turbo noise but probably cause i have all 2.5" setup and that little turbo won't put out the noise we all desire. a muffler delete is a good start to get a tone

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually I'll probably keep the stock catback and just do a catless dp/mp. I like that our cars are rather rare and therefore a bit stealthy. Most of your flow gains are going to be from the dp/mp and catback gains are generally minimal as long as the stock setup is large enough piping. My cruze was catless dp/mp with stock axle back and was quiet outside of the turbo spooling and intake noise. I was full bore catless and complete custom exhaust on my hhr. It was annoyingly loud. Now I'm to the point I prefer quiet and stealthy speed unless its something that sounds truly amaxing. Just intake roar a whoosh and pshhh and they can figure out how this little kia just blew by them.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do your research on down pipes. I've heard too many stories of studs breaking and having to pull the turbo to replace them. Not really a huge issue but annoyances like that drive me crazy. But if that doesn't bother you they can get you decent gains. Tork claims up to 20 whp and 20 tq but I'm curious if that was on a veloster. If so they have both of their cats on the downpipe and we dont. So a bit of a difference there.
Tork and 845 have downpipes.

No one makes a midpipe. It's the easiest part of the exhaust to replace. No o2s. And it has a second cat so removing it will give decent gains. But so far there are none on the market. A couple places have been working on them but nothing yet.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Actually with our car the axle back is pretty restrictive along with the DP. Our stock pipe diameter is barely over 2.25" and the axle back goes to 2". The first thing I did was replace the axle back and noticed a good difference. Then I put my Tork DP on and she really came to life with a free flowing exhaust. I don't have the second cat or the stock resonator on mine. I replaced the stock res with a pypes M80 and sounds really mean.

Once you do a intake you will be shocked. Our car sounds like darth vader on start up and while driving. When under WOT you just hear a whistle when it flys by lol. If you want a nice clean BOV sound the Turboxs SML is a nice replacement.

·
Registered
518 Posts
the studs on the stock dp never gave me issues. everything was a little warm and they came off with ease. can't let the little things scare you or you won't ever put anything on your car. i'm sure you know that

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh I had so many issues with my cruze I was a master at demodding it. I could strip the dp/mp, intake, grounding kit, etc off and have the stock parts back on in under an hour. One reason I'm hesitant about an catback on the car but I have been perusing YouTube and came across a video that had a killer sound to it. I would love a deep growl without being whiny or overly loud.

Idk if they're on the forum or if anyone can recommend a setup that'll give me a similar sound.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts