Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of us know, the Navigation unit in our cars can be updated, for a (very very expensive) fee from MnSoft. I have not updated the map as, to be quite frank, I'm not paying CAD$362 (including taxes and shipping) for a single map update. Kia corporate doesn't give a damn, as I've emailed them and they wash their hands of it as it's a third party and they have no control over it.

I have always wondered what makes the map update special, if anything, ie; locking it to a specific car. I've looked at the checkout process and don't see anything prior to placing an order that requires you to enter a VIN or Radio ID. I have asked someone who did purchase it, and they confirmed no VIN / Radio ID was requested, so it's possible that a single update isn't locked to a specific car. Perhaps once you update it, something is written to the SD card to "lock" it.

Something dawned on me this morning. All our cars come with a map SD card in them. I've just pulled it from my head unit and popped it into my computer (an iMac). Firstly, it shows up on the desktop, which was interesting, as I thought it'd be some special format. diskutil reports the following about the disk:
Code:
/dev/disk4 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *16.0 GB    disk4
   1:             Windows_FAT_32 NO NAME                 16.0 GB    disk4s1
TL;DR
It's a Windows FAT_32 formatted disk, with a name of "NO NAME"
It's 16GB is size, and 8,961,708,988 bytes (8.96 GB on disk) have been used out of that 16GB.

Seems to be two items at the root, a file named install.nfo and a folder named MAPS.

I'm currently using the dd command to create a dmg file (yeah, I know, probably should be iso, but I can convert it later) of the disk so I have a copy.

I doubt I'll get much from the stuff in the MAPS folder, as I suspect the files will be binary, or some other format, but who knows.

What I might do is purchase a 16GB SD card and then burn the image to it and see if that then works in my car. If I knew anyone local, with the same car, without the update, I'd ask them to try it, so we can see if that works. Why? well it would show the card from one car can be used in another.

I think you can see where I might be going with this ;) What I'd love to see is an image of a newly purchased update card *before* it's even put in a car, versus the card when it's been in the car and the map software was updated. This will show what, if anything, changes on the card. If one happens to have an image of the card prior to update, one could then burn the image to a new SD card and see what happens when you try and update from it. If it all works, then in theory, multiple SD cards could be made from that single image.

Of course, this is all just hypothetical, as one wouldn't possibly condone anything naughty ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Code:
NO NAME/MAP/MAPMODULE.bin
seems to contain this:
Code:
NA.06.43.69.00206653
That value relates to the MAP VER. string displayed on the System Update screen on the stereo.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, so something is missing. Cloned the SD card as mentioned, restored it back to a new card and the unit says it's not valid map data.
i'm wondering if there is some bootable file or something that isn't being seen on the Mac. I shall delve further

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm interested to see what you find with this.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm switching to the dark side, ie Windows, as there are a couple of tools there I can have a look at the card with, including one which will allow a raw look at the SD card and make an image from that. So I'm hoping that'll work.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Wish there was a hack for the stock nav system

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used some windows tools, so we'll see what the car makes of it now. there has to be something I was missing initially. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
is this the same software used in the optima nav?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is this the same software used in the optima nav?
For matching model years, yes, it is. Take a look at this PDF, which indicates what 2014 models will take the latest 9.5 map update.
http://www.kia-gpsmap.ca/downloads/dl/file/id/73/product/565/map_update_98s01_11_canada_preview.pdf

As for my results, still no luck, still telling me it;s not valid map data. When writing to the card there was an error, but I am going to give it another try, as I think there is a command to ignore errors and stuff. Again I'll report back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had another go, still same results, unit doesn't see the "new" card as having valid map data. There is obviously something I'm missing, but I'm just not sure what exactly it is!

·
Registered
445 Posts
What are you using to clone the image of the SD card? I'd make sure it was raw data. That may be tripping you up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are you using to clone the image of the SD card? I'd make sure it was raw data. That may be tripping you up.
I've tried a windows app called HHD Raw Copy tool, plus I've also tried the 'dd' command to OS X. Both of which I'm told will generate a raw sector copy of the existing card. I've used the same software to copy the resulting image file back onto a new SD card. I've also used MiniTool Partition Wizard to have a look at the portioning information on the original and duplicate, and that seems to match too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Something dawned on me. SD = Secure Digital. From the very quick look around, there is a secure ID set on a card, which apparently cannot be changed. I wonder if that's the key here. That the cards have a specific ID written to them, and that is being checked against. Another SD card would have a different ID and so it wouldn't match.
Obviously *something* can change the ID if this is the case, but possibly only on first write of the card.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't tried paying for a nav update but last year my cars nav would go into the woods for no reason, during one drive on a freeway the nav had me running parallel 200m to the left hopping through side streets, another time freeway curved left nav went straight.

Dealer ran latest update under warranty, problem solved.

Now my head unit has frozen and resets on the same station every 125 seconds, new unit on order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mnsoft now have the 9.5 old Nav updates on sale for $139 u.s because the new version is out in June.
I am in Canada & would like to know if the 9.5 update changes the silly required legal disclaimer you have to get rid of every time you start the car.
Can anyone help with this? My car is a 2014 SX Luxury Koupe.
Mnsoft says it won't but somewhere I read on some Kia forum that the U.S. version update did stop it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
9.5 does get rid of the legal disclaimer screen after about 5 seconds after the car is started, at least here in the US. I bought it and it was totally worth it just for that.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts