Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Why is it faster? What do you mean by that?

I can give you all the answers first hand as I had 2015 F5 MT for about 9 months. Now I am rolling in AT...

So faster like what? 0-60? 40-80? 70-120? All in mph.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Lots of reasons really... Gearing, easier to launch an auto vs. MT, having boost fall flat on its face in between shifts (MT), getting the perfect shift everytime.

Comparing to a DCT now... It's simply not possible for a human to shift as quick as a DCT.

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Lots of reasons really... Gearing, easier to launch an auto vs. MT, having boost fall flat on its face in between shifts (MT), getting the perfect shift everytime.

Comparing to a DCT now... It's simply not possible for a human to shift as quick as a DCT.
Staax, as for DCT - lookie here
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/9-k...ly-f5-sx-upgraded-suspension-3.html#post73153

I would not completely agree that AT is faster than MT.

It depends on the style of driving. It all depends on the situation you are in.
However, when summarizing everything, I would say they are even.
Picture these situations.

1. Cold morning (-15 C, car parked outside). When engine is below 40 C, you do not get much of boost.
MT - each shift is stiff, each time you shift you drop boost (max 5-7 psi, maybe 10 when gets warmer) that very slowly develops with next gear.
AT - shifts are at slightly higher rpm, torque converter (TC) remains unlocked (no ECO, no torque lockup), but shifts are quick, and boost is steady.
That means AT wins as it keeps power all the time. Yet, you drop about 30% of this power into ATF due to TC slippage.

2. Completely warmed up car. Whatever day it is.
You take off from intersection, just regular driving.
MT - you can floor it, each gear will pull you like crazy. Boost builds up quickly, yet you loose it each time you take foot off the gas.
AT - you cannot really floor it as it will rev (unless you want to). Shifts are darn quick. You can use paddles, but that will still allow for lots of TC slippage.
Hard to say who wins. In gentle driving AT is quicker. In a bit more spirited, one can keep up in MT with AT.
I am not talking racing yet.

3. Hard take off (racing like).
MT - you can try to keep rpm a bit higher to buildup boost (it will only slightly spin the turbo as wastegate mainly bypasses...). You are in full control how hard shifts are and how much power you can drop to wheels with each shift. But you must be hard on the clutch.
AT - brake torque and launch. Brake torque means no more than 1800 rpm. That is more than enough to spin wheels on whatever surface. Then, either paddles or let it do it for you. If "paddle" 2nd gear when you are approaching 4000 rpm, 2ng gear will jump in at about 4500 rpm or so (there is a delay...) and will chirp the wheels pretty hard - if you are into it. Otherwise, 1-2 is great shift. 2-3 is so so. Many times it is too smooth comparing to 1-2, hence 0-60 time suffers a lot from it.

NOW. A problem. If ATF is below 60 C, it will work as above. Once the ATF is above 85 C - forget about it. It is too hot to really transfer this power like that. I am not saying it is overheating, but when it gets hot, it does not transfer power as good as colder one.
That is NOT the car for MT. Unless you burn clutch...

So, we covered all day driving in city driving style. Mainly acceleration from dead stop.

How about highway?
AT is in deep s$$t.

5. Going 65 mph. You want to race someone. Push the gas, quick downshift and lots of power is lost in TC slippage. Once you reach rpm high enough to have TC in lockup mode, then you suddenly feel how much more power you get.
MT - drop gear, or even not - just WOT. It goes like crazy. Maybe put in 5th gear, for very hard 4th. I found myself that above 80 mph no need to play with gears. 6th will do everything. It is at above 3500 rpm and it pulls like crazy. In no time you are at 110 mph and are thinking how to explain the judge why I was going so fast.
AT - stays way behind. Now the quick shifts do not matter. The lost power matters.

MT wins hands down.

Yes, AT is lower gears 1-4, 5 is same for both, while 6 is taller in AT.
Data here:
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/19-...6-forte-speed-each-gear-manual-automatic.html

Now, DCT would be better?
Not really. Take off in DCT is like gently engaging 1st gear in MT and doing each shift very quickly, yet without this pull when the next gear is dropped. You do not loose boost, not at all. Just the power is being taken away by ECU during each shift. This is not the case in AT (and MT if you keep the gas depressed and let rev limited to hit).
DCT would be good in highway speeds. That's the place you could use it a bit more. But it would still be not much better than MT.

Finally.
My average, on daily commute in MT was 32 mpg. Now I get 23 mpg. Same digits, but very different numbers.
On highway. Same routes, same speeds: MT - 36 or even more, AT - 29, maybe 30 if I really try.

So it is all your choice.
And there is no one good answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.