Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone found that they get better mileage with more weight in their car? Here is the story. 2016 5SX with 48,000 miles, daily driver, 120+ miles per day on a daily basis, 98% highway, avg speed 75 mph, normal daily load, me the driver, I have been getting 27 -29 mpg from the time I bought the car. Yesterday I had to bring some stuff home from work just around 250 pounds threw it under the hatch and on my way, I did gas up just before my ride home, all the way home on the highway about 65 miles I was getting 30 -31 mpg, has never been that high ever. How could hauling all that weight make my mpg higher? Is it throwing the fuel sender off and miscalculating my mpg from the rear sag? Anyone else ever find this when carrying extra load or people that your mpg go up? Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone found that they get better mileage with more weight in their car? Here is the story. 2016 5SX with 48,000 miles, daily driver, 120+ miles per day on a daily basis, 98% highway, avg speed 75 mph, normal daily load, me the driver, I have been getting 27 -29 mpg from the time I bought the car. Yesterday I had to bring some stuff home from work just around 250 pounds threw it under the hatch and on my way, I did gas up just before my ride home, all the way home on the highway about 65 miles I was getting 30 -31 mpg, has never been that high ever. How could hauling all that weight make my mpg higher? Is it throwing the fuel sender off and miscalculating my mpg from the rear sag? Anyone else ever find this when carrying extra load or people that your mpg go up? Thanks
Should be opposite. Maybe your way home was down the hill. But really I think factor is that that your car was fully warmed up when you get gas, after that just highway. Wait for few cicles to start and warm up, than mileage would go back to that you have normally.
Few times I got gas on way home, way home 5 km and avg 8l/100, than morning start up, warming up cicle and few minutes later 11l/100 or even more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing different as far as heat cycle or time when getting gas ,all is the same as it has for over a year, same station, same grade of gas, the only thing different is the gross weight.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Speed was same? Wern't you more careful?

I pulled a trailer with a few hundred pounds and 4 people on board - got 29 mpg US in night and rain... But I was going no more than 65 mph.
Otherwise, recently with a several more enjoyable runs, I averages 16 mpg. :)

Going back - not really. It should not matter. Only difference you can have is engine braking. It may roll further with the load as opposed to empty.
Maybe you hit better petrol batch? Maybe weather?

I find the computer to have good reproducibility, but poor accuracy.
It is constantly off by about 10%, meaning real life is 27 mpg, while it reads 30 mpg.
Whether I am alone in the car, going in city, or highway, or I got family (wife + 2 kids and luggage) mountains fun, or highway. Always 10% off. Promotion by KIA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, took the weight out after 2 days of driving and the MPG went down to around 28, Its got to be the angle of the sender and calculations are wrong .

·
Registered
514 Posts
this is so odd i wonder would putting even more weight save you even more mpgs? :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Well, took the weight out after 2 days of driving and the MPG went down to around 28, Its got to be the angle of the sender and calculations are wrong .
How does the true mpg compare?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wind resistance? Also if you put the ebrake up and hold the breaks as well and then take out the stuff you will see the rear squats a decent amount with such little weight which could further affect drag. Just for for thought

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
The only way to truly know your MPG is by filling at the same pump and measuring the difference, my dash indicator has not moved from 9.2 Lt/100 km in nearly two years, last reset.
My sig has 39K & 100+ fills, the in car fuel calc always reads low.

Driving style will have a greater affect on mpg, you may be driving smoother when loaded compared to when running light.
I will admit it's more fun throwing an unloaded car around but fuel mpg does suffer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts