Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm on a budget and would like to get gauges to install in my car to start monitoring these things while i'm driving.
first off, what other things are important to monitor aside the two i listed?
i just want the gauges to rest somewhere in the car. i'm not really picky about aesthetics.
i would like to be able to see all 2 or 3 of them at the same time digital or the old style gauges.
the key here is low budget, cheapest route to the cause but i'm willing to consider other options for the better.
thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it would be a daily driver

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I cannot say much about AFR and oil temp, but I can tell you about boost.

Go mechanical with boost. It is the fastest and the most reliable way of seeing it.
Visit 6th store for MAP sensor plate where you plug in your boost line and you are all set. Just routing the tubing is PITA to get through the firewall, but once done is good for a while.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Under $10 for a bluetooth OBD reader then you can run Torque on phone/tablet and get all that info and more.
i was wondering if using any OBD equipment would flag the ecu for the dealership to see and reject warranty like some others on this forum.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input so far everyone. i will check out the torque app one of these days.
i did find what i thought was a deal on ebay for a boost gauge.

Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge | eBay

here's a description in case the link is dead. i paid $43 shipped.
"This is a used but in great condition Auto-meter Cobalt boost gauge. The gauge is 2 1/16" and includes fittings, nylon boost tubing and instructions.
The gauge displays 0 - 60 PSI boost."

hopefully this is a good one. feedback is welcome and appreciated. i'm assuming this is analog or uses vacuum hoses vs electric?
anyhow, i will also be needing the plate to connect the boost line too? i've also decided to work on the pillar to make 3 pods to house.
this will be a slow moving project and will probably be asking questions about these later in the future.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Get an actual vac line actuated boost gauge, Electronic is shit. Actual is everything, Just buy a 6th element vac block.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get an actual vac line actuated boost gauge, Electronic is shit. Actual is everything, Just buy a 6th element vac block.
is this not the right kind?

Modern blue LED through-the-dial lighting provides clear visibility during nighttime use
Auto Meter’s race proven mechanical instruments provide trusted accuracy while being simple to install
No electrical system required for gauge operation - compatible with every street or race vehicle
Mechanical movements provide accuracy and durability even in the harshest environments
Gauge kit includes 1/8” nylon line, 1/8” NPT compression fittings, 1/4” NPT adapter, mounting hardware, and detailed instructions for installation
Bright anodized bezels, glowing orange pointers, Cobalt blue LED through the dial lighting, and complete line of precision FULL sweep stepper and Audio gauges set this series apart.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
60 psi - that is way too much... sorry man, but it will be useless for your application.
Besides, you want to monitor vacuum as well as many times it tells you more than the boost.

See here: vacuum (from basically zero = -29.35 in Hg is absolute zero pressure) to 20 PSI boost. Boost in our cars is 18 psi max. Sometimes you may hit overboost, like I had a few occasions in 2015 MT. I still do not know why. It was something spark related.

boost gauge.jpg

To answer your question regarding electric or OBD.
OBD is great if you want to monitor and record data. Plus it may monitor much more inputs.
However, it is SLOW. If you get any gauge, you will see that response of the OBD is delayed comparing to very quick changes of mechanical boost gauge.
The only electronic gauges I would have are oil pressure (to avoid oil in the cabin) and water temp (this one does not need to be quick...).

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
60 psi - that is way too much... sorry man, but it will be useless for your application.
Besides, you want to monitor vacuum as well as many times it tells you more than the boost.

See here: vacuum (from basically zero = -29.35 in Hg is absolute zero pressure) to 20 PSI boost. Boost in our cars is 18 psi max. Sometimes you may hit overboost, like I had a few occasions in 2015 MT. I still do not know why. It was something spark related.

View attachment 7345

To answer your question regarding electric or OBD.
OBD is great if you want to monitor and record data. Plus it may monitor much more inputs.
However, it is SLOW. If you get any gauge, you will see that response of the OBD is delayed comparing to very quick changes of mechanical boost gauge.
The only electronic gauges I would have are oil pressure (to avoid oil in the cabin) and water temp (this one does not need to be quick...).
Correct, basically variable items that change in the moment mechanical is going to give the best response. Things relatively remain the same or do not change in an instant an electronic gauge will be fine. My suggestion would be to use the Torque app for your electronic gauge and a mechanical for things like Boost.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the input guys. in the process of maybe backing out of that purchase hopefully.
can you recommend one with a little more color and/or glow to the gauge not too far off in price?
i want a mechanical boost gauge similar to your recommendation and that i can fit into the pillar as well later.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
can you recommend one with a little more color and/or glow to the gauge not too far off in price?
i want a mechanical boost gauge similar to your recommendation and that i can fit into the pillar as well later.
Give me a moment...

I will try to comment on everything.

15ForteSX said:
well i was just saying it in case you do haha :)
:)

15ForteSX said:
i can live without the IAT as if really necessary i can just use the torque app.
IAT comes from MAP. Even if you do add the vacuum block, and you insert some thermocouple, it will still not really show air, but rather the radiation or temperature of the manifold. That is what MAP does. It does not sit in the air stream to really see true air temperature, hence it is very hard to exactly know what it is. If you were to add something like MAF is with thermocouple in the center of air flow then that would work. But then it would have to be BEFORE manifold... and having manifold heated by coolant your readings would not be accurate. So I still think that would not be realistic.

15ForteSX said:
i thought it would be interesting to see how the numbers might change as oil gets dirty.
it might also tell me when the oil level is low with the rising temps. im not sure if this is true just speculating.
If oil gets "worn" pressure changes. As for temperature - I am not sure how much it is affected. Lower level - I guess it would get hotter, but I doubt that would be best indication of oil level. Cold day, gentle drive vs hot day, tough ride. I would not go so far... but I might be very wrong here.

15ForteSX said:
with the AFR, i figure if i knew where it was at then i can be able to know if and when my car is running lean or rich.

read elsewhere this is a good way to be able to diagnose a car in the years ahead when warranty is out and problems
start arising out of nowhere. what do you think with this regard?

AFR - it is always rich here. Hence the black sooth residue in the tailpipe and on the bumper... Tune solves the problem a bit making it less rich, so a bit cleaner, but still it runs richer than non-turbo cars.
As for problems - I cannot really comment on it. I might only speculate if that is possible or not. I guess you would feel problems regardless of AFR.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Equus-8257-Boost-Vacuum-Gauge/dp/B000EW0LMQ

71rzKRO9LBL._SL1500_.jpg

I do not recall, but I believe you can have different light covers like in here:

81eURR0TzaL._SL1500_.jpg

Also, for the one I posted, or Equus, you can simply put LED of your choice, like I did with mine (pic in a minute) and it matches your scheme.

EDIT:
the pics of installed two gauges. I tried the pod, but that was a huge project, plus I would not be able to easily remove them for the sale... I am not entering any contest, so they are OK for me.
I used a TomTom GPD mount. Suction cup to the side and done. It is exactly size of the gauge hence it fits no problem.

20170417_115604.jpg

Disregard the zip-ties. I am waiting for a nicer weather to really make them the way they supposed to be.

·
Registered
194 Posts
By electronic or mechanical I am refering to its sourcing. vac line versus a sensor interpretation of ECU commands. Actual vac/ boost is everything.

·
Registered
194 Posts
thanks for the input guys. in the process of maybe backing out of that purchase hopefully.
Glow shift makes all kinds, very reasonable. Color choices off the hook.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You guys have been great thanks for your help so far. I have been doing extra reading in the veloster forum and stumbled upon this.

https://xenonelement.net/b/plenum/3tbs.html

will it fit on our car? what do you think?
instead of the vacuum block on the map sensor for a boost port, can i do this instead?
this would also eliminate from having to buy a barb fitting and tap/die kit and do the drilling work etc on the elantra TB that I will be installing soon.
i welcome all opinions, thoughts, suggestions. it seems like this options has more benefits. any disadvantages?
will it get in the way of other items that i could install in the future?

·
Registered
59 Posts
i was wondering if using any OBD equipment would flag the ecu for the dealership to see and reject warranty like some others on this forum.
Nope. Not at all. I have an AEM OBDII gauge that reads everything that the ECU monitors. $150 but it's only one gauge and you get to see all kinds of pretty red LED numbers go up and down.

The only thing that may bug you, since you seem to want to see Boost pressure, is that our ECU's don't measure boost as you would see it on a mechanical gauge - as in 18lbs, etc. It measures true boost which is the sum of the manifold and the turbo together. So I enjoy showing friends who know jack crap about KIAs that I can run 35 lbs of boost. It's pretty funny seeing their reactions. But then I obviously tell them it's True Boost and not just Turbo boost readings.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts