Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car since June '14, in fact I was one of the first one to have it in my city which is not Smallville that's for sure with a healthy 3+ million population. I had it stock for almost 3 years before I decided to get some wheels. That was my goal when I got my car initially just to get some nice wheels and call it a day but now I've got coilers installed and when looking at the breakdown, it really adds up.

This summer (damn, it's not even summer yet) I"m trying to see if I can get over my nerves and do a tune. I always hear people saying 'oh his engine blew'. I just can't stand being away from my car.

The mods I want to do are:

custom exhaust +$1500
custom FMIC + $1000
custom downpipe +$1000
custom tune + ECU + $1000

I can see how this can become a money pit.

So how much have you guys sunk into your car so far?

Rough estimate for me would probably be around $4000.

·
Registered
514 Posts
you could shave off about half on the custom exhaust if its really custom.
a jun b exhaust kit would be that much. on the custom tune and ecu, there is no point getting a 2nd ecu.
half the time i read the techs at the dealer find out anyway through some hidden data logs and the logs themselves will be way off from what is stock.
and when you swap back and dont have logs for such a long time on your original ecu they are going to ask questions or just assume the worst.
i say if you step in and get your feet dirty they can and will try to find ways to deny your warranty claim so be prepared to lose.
everyone just say "dealerships suck" because they do.

as far as what i've spent, probably close to a grand and i have barely touch the surface unlike some others on here.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Yeah if I was going to dump $4k in this I would have just gotten the GTI instead to begin with.
and then you would dump 4k into GTi making from its 220 HP about 280 HP and 350 lb*ft

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
524 Posts
and then you would dump 4k into GTi making from its 220 HP about 280 HP and 350 lb*ft
Hardly. Just a stage 1 tune takes it to 316hp and 381 ft-lbs. More power than you can likely use in most cases in a FWD. And that's just $600.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Hardly. Just a stage 1 tune takes it to 316hp and 381 ft-lbs. More power than you can likely use in most cases in a FWD. And that's just $600.
WannaCry...

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I've had my car since June '14, in fact I was one of the first one to have it in my city which is not Smallville that's for sure with a healthy 3+ million population. I had it stock for almost 3 years before I decided to get some wheels. That was my goal when I got my car initially just to get some nice wheels and call it a day but now I've got coilers installed and when looking at the breakdown, it really adds up.

This summer (damn, it's not even summer yet) I"m trying to see if I can get over my nerves and do a tune. I always hear people saying 'oh his engine blew'. I just can't stand being away from my car.

The mods I want to do are:

custom exhaust +$1500
custom FMIC + $1000
custom downpipe +$1000
custom tune + ECU + $1000

I can see how this can become a money pit.

So how much have you guys sunk into your car so far?

Rough estimate for me would probably be around $4000.
I can comment on the tune and FMIC/downpipe part :)

Our FMIC is the most thoroughly designed and tested FMIC for the Forte SX on the market. It's $869 shipped to your door. :)

I would heavily argue our downpipe is the best quality on the market as well. $459 shipped to your door.

I haven't heard of any Forte blowing their motor from a tune. I can get you a modest tune AND a spare ECU for less than $700 total.
Been doing this for a while and (knocks on wood) we have a perfect track record.

Wanna save a little more $$$? Use coupon code 6EFT and save 3% more :)

Let me know if you have any other questions :) www.sxthelement.com or email me [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Welcome to modding lol. Any car you mod is expensive to do. My car has every bolt on besides meth and SS turbo. I did my own FMIC and I can bet it cools the same and produces the same as the kit ones that are made. But if you just want direct bolt on there is the 6th (installed one for a buddy) and there is the 845 (installed one also for a buddy). Tork will be coming out with theirs shortly. I have the Tork downpipe and love it. You can also get the 60mm tb and do the coolant bypass to.

I highly suggest getting the second ECU. I have never heard of a dealership looking on the spare ECU and ask questions about if there is a possible tune on another or what not. I have taken mine with the stock ECU in and never questioned. If they do ask just say you reset the ECU because you wanted to see if it would clear things up.

If you are a DIY person and like doing projects I highly recommend doing stuff yourself so you learn and save some cash.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I highly suggest getting the second ECU. I have never heard of a dealership looking on the spare ECU and ask questions about if there is a possible tune on another or what not. I have taken mine with the stock ECU in and never questioned. If they do ask just say you reset the ECU because you wanted to see if it would clear things up.
i only say this because of the cost of another ecu even when your claim is denied.
techs look at various things to determine if the engine has been tampered with.
i read about how they look at the yellow marks that go across hoses and stuff and if it looks like its been removed then they get suspicious.
they start to check other stuff like intake/pipe/exhaust/CC that have been installed, missing bolts, misplaced or missing parts, and if they suspect then they further research the ECU by sending it off to get checked out like forensics files lol.
there are some things in the ECU they are looking at where they have denied warranty. i've read the stories in the VT forum too.
just a heads up and i wish someone else can fill in more detail about this as there is little known about this.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I have not seen anyone get denied warranty for swapping their ecu for stock tune. They can go ahead and check all they want. Just drive it for a day or 2 with stock ecu to allow the adaptives to set right and you will be fine.

I have read there to and it's not just because they swapped the ecu. It's normally because they found a ton of other issues to. Just depends on the dealership you go to.

I know my car would be denied in a heart beat for the motor and ecu because of what I have done and I take responsibility for it. Anytime you mod a car you should be prepared to cover the repair cost of it. I have seen to many people complain they got denied and don't know why and they are fully bolted.

If you bought the car because of warranty I would not mod it. I bought mine to have a fun daily and didn't care about the warranty lol. Only thing Kia must fix is my airbag light issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: danbfree

·
Registered
380 Posts

Our FMIC is the most thoroughly designed and tested FMIC for the Forte SX on the market. It's $869 shipped to your door. :)

I would heavily argue our downpipe is the best quality on the market as well. $459 shipped to your door.

I haven't heard of any Forte blowing their motor from a tune. I can get you a modest tune AND a spare ECU for less than $700 total.
Been doing this for a while and (knocks on wood) we have a perfect track record.

Let me know if you have any other questions :) www.sxthelement.com or email me [email protected]
So are you offering a little package deal on a Stage 0 and spare ECU? I know a competitor has a very similar tune/price available, I just never knew who to go with, I wish I knew the differences IRL... Does your Stage 0 increase boost at all or just optimizations?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I wouldn't hesitate going with your products because you have the car to fabricate on. My local shop said they want to do custom work and those were the prices I quoted verbatim. They said 'kits' are very touch and go and do not last which makes sense if the kit is universal but you've developed yours with the car in hand so I wouldn't doubt they would fit like a glove.

I've sent you an email about the FMIC and CAI to get a possible package discount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts