Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So wanted to post this here since a lot of you aren't on the FB page for the 2nd gens.

First off want to thank Caezar for discovering this.

So Kia/Hyundai updated our MAP sensor on the manifold to the Optima one because the old one wouldn't read properly. If you have the Torque app look at the PID boost/vac gauge and look at how it is constantly searching for the proper reading. Well that's not how it should be. The new sensor holds solid and also makes the car run so much smoother then the old one. Better throttle increased MPG and a SOLID reading like it should be.

Now here is what could happen to you since it happened to me. Worst case BOOM goes the motor. Well mine didn't do that....Her head gasket blew again. Yes again! This is my second head gasket that I will be replacing. I will make another thread about the first time with pictures shortly. So here is how mine went.

I was playing around with a new WRX and heard massive knock and instantly looked at my Torque app and it showed that my max boost reading was 20.6 when my car is tuned for 26psi. Well got her home and she started idling really weird so shut her down and check plugs. 2 were at .025 and 1 and .028 and 1 at .048! So on Cyl 4 that's where the issue happened. Well next day she was throwing coolant back into the overflow tank.....again. Sam exact thing happened the first time.

So I urge you guys to spend the cash and get this sensor asap. I don't want it happening to fellow Forte members here!

New sensor part # 39300-84400

·
Registered
90 Posts
So wanted to post this here since a lot of you aren't on the FB page for the 2nd gens.

First off want to thank Caezar for discovering this.

So Kia/Hyundai updated our MAP sensor on the manifold to the Optima one because the old one wouldn't read properly. If you have the Torque app look at the PID boost/vac gauge and look at how it is constantly searching for the proper reading. Well that's not how it should be. The new sensor holds solid and also makes the car run so much smoother then the old one. Better throttle increased MPG and a SOLID reading like it should be.

Now here is what could happen to you since it happened to me. Worst case BOOM goes the motor. Well mine didn't do that....Her head gasket blew again. Yes again! This is my second head gasket that I will be replacing. I will make another thread about the first time with pictures shortly. So here is how mine went.

I was playing around with a new WRX and heard massive knock and instantly looked at my Torque app and it showed that my max boost reading was 20.6 when my car is tuned for 26psi. Well got her home and she started idling really weird so shut her down and check plugs. 2 were at .025 and 1 and .028 and 1 at .048! So on Cyl 4 that's where the issue happened. Well next day she was throwing coolant back into the overflow tank.....again. Sam exact thing happened the first time.

So I urge you guys to spend the cash and get this sensor asap. I don't want it happening to fellow Forte members here!

New sensor part # 39300-84400
Where did you order the part?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Can anyone please shed more info on this update ?
Happy Holidays to ALL.
Thanks

Reactions: Forte5

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you order the part?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I ordered mine from eBay for $35 shipped. It didn't come in a Kia box or Hyundai box but it is a actual OEM sensor.

Yikes! So if KIA is doing the updating, is it a TSB?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
As far as I have seen no TSB for it at all. They have kept several things hush hush which isn't cool and is also why my car is how it is now

Can anyone please shed more info on this update ?
Happy Holidays to ALL.
Thanks
What would you like to know?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Its a plug and play . Just reset your ecu prior by disconnecting the battery for what ever it takes and then the key dance ( probably not needed but I always do ) If you use a 6th vacuum block be sure to remove the green O ring prior to re install or primary install as the optima sensor is bigger in width and the o ring also sits lower . Why they probably updated is the tunes on the american velosters and forte's in korea the car only makes 180hp and later a 201hp version recently released over the past year due to the sport elantra sport ,veloster Rspec and now available and new forte . The added boost pushes past the 1.5-2 bar map sensor . So these cars should be set to 14psi. but they are set to 16 and peak 18. Now this tells you how shady kia is . My car is now detuned to 14 psi. they do not know that I have the upgrade . I went in for an inspection . they reflashed the car ( I did not request this or know that they were doing this ) I later started feeling the car was a lot slower and felt mostly running on motor power not turbo. So instead of dishing out the upgrade that Kia /hyundai offers to get you to a 3 bar capable to tune up to 35psi they decided to detune the car . I can tell you after the tune you are at 180 for sure !! My car from factory was running the new tune that boosted to 18 psi commanded . Ive seen my map and thankfully I still have it on the 845 motorsports saved files so Ill be getting it retuned and we are also going to try a few new things .

Initially this sensor will make the car run a lot smoother accept commanded boost settings more accurately and with this the car can run a whole lot safer . Prior to the sensor I was boosting up to 21psi on a stock tune and when I finally got tuned I was maxing out the turbo at 29psi . thankfully I had a great tune and the car was able to go rite into limp mod to save the motor . I re-tuned the car to an increased torque program with lower boost of 18 psi but optimized timing and fuel maps my tuner programmed . The car with the new sensor was perfect !!! now even with 14psi you can barely feel the power loss until higher revs where before you would feel that lunge .

Reactions: SXTurbo and drc69

·
Registered
399 Posts
I ordered mine from eBay for $35 shipped. It didn't come in a Kia box or Hyundai box but it is a actual OEM sensor.

As far as I have seen no TSB for it at all. They have kept several things hush hush which isn't cool and is also why my car is how it is now

What would you like to know?
If the car is stock do you still recommend doing the update?
I did see that unit on eBay so it's ok?
Thx

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the info and helps me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Be careful dudes,.................This almost sounds like it has piggyback effects.

The true fix sounds as if it involves the parts plus some ECM change. Dont just throw it on and go WOT.:confused:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, I can confirm the 16 peak tune. I took my car in for a service last week, and I find that it has been incredibly slow and surge-y. I looked on my app, and the peak boost is 16psi...... Dissapointing for sure. I ordered the sensor, and will likely install it when it arrives.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Be careful dudes,.................This almost sounds like it has piggyback effects.

The true fix sounds as if it involves the parts plus some ECM change. Dont just throw it on and go WOT.:confused:
There is no upgrading of the ecm needed . I did throw it on reset the ecu and went full blast . Why cause I had to check if the car was still over boosting . If you were to blow the stock sensor and if they replaced it would be the same one I bought and installed . the factory Gamma sensor is not available in this country . I have found it on Alipress . The reason there are blown head gaskets its up in the air because there are soo many variables . could be a bad tune , piggy back and system failure like what happened to me . The sad part of this is if your sensor goes then there is a huge chance the motor will go . Prior to full failing there is no check engine light until it goes . Now will you need to replace ? well that depends on the symptoms . if your car is not over boosting or wasting a lot of gas probably not . A few cars I know of never had issue . For the veloster guys its a lot harder to narrow down the symptoms because the cars are higher in miles . So they have to trouble shoot everything . It was easier for me to find it because I conversed with my tuner cause he went through a similar scenario . and the car only ha 11k on it and 3k on the new motor that only had 300 when I bought it . Just posting what I found if it sounds like snake oil Im not making any money off it . You can try drive it around not like and take it off . Ive found them from dealers as low as 60$ shipped . Ill post pictures of the two side by side . Also we have kia techs on the FB group so if there is issue they probably would have voiced concern , Have to admit my tuner did question it . He is still running the old sensor purchased new , that part number is 39300-2G000 . Ill post the kia page showing the update also

Reactions: drc69

·
Registered
580 Posts
The optima one is on the right . You can see it's a bit larger than the factory original.

Attachments

Reactions: drc69 and Forte5

·
Registered
194 Posts
There is no upgrading of the ecm needed . I did throw it on reset the ecu and went full blast . Why cause I had to check if the car was still over boosting . If you were to blow the stock sensor and if they replaced it would be the same one I bought and installed . the factory Gamma sensor is not available in this country . I have found it on Alipress . The reason there are blown head gaskets its up in the air because there are soo many variables . could be a bad tune , piggy back and system failure like what happened to me . The sad part of this is if your sensor goes then there is a huge chance the motor will go . Prior to full failing there is no check engine light until it goes . Now will you need to replace ? well that depends on the symptoms . if your car is not over boosting or wasting a lot of gas probably not . A few cars I know of never had issue . For the veloster guys its a lot harder to narrow down the symptoms because the cars are higher in miles . So they have to trouble shoot everything . It was easier for me to find it because I conversed with my tuner cause he went through a similar scenario . and the car only ha 11k on it and 3k on the new motor that only had 300 when I bought it . Just posting what I found if it sounds like snake oil Im not making any money off it . You can try drive it around not like and take it off . Ive found them from dealers as low as 60$ shipped . Ill post pictures of the two side by side . Also we have kia techs on the FB group so if there is issue they probably would have voiced concern , Have to admit my tuner did question it . He is still running the old sensor purchased new , that part number is 39300-2G000 . Ill post the kia page showing the update also
Well I guess if you didi it, that puts that to rest. Sounds just like Hyun/KIA. There are several parts with this car one has to go to either a HYUN/KIA to get exclusive of each other.

Heres alink for the original one
https://autoplicity.com/8929824-sta...qfrxE-NdBeZw2KHfa4iEiZwoGIznaG1mwkaAqvF8P8HAQ

and

http://www.wholesalehyundaiparts.co...ml?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla

Our VT LPFP filter sock assy has to be purchased at KIA. Hyun does not have them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
So do you think it's sensing better / more accurate then the old/other unit?
The feedback is better back to the ECU?

·
Registered
580 Posts
So do you think it's sensing better / more accurate then the old/other unit?
The feedback is better back to the ECU?
A lot better feedback to the ECU. right now I am on stock tune and it feels totally different than before. The mpg's are up , mid range response is tons better and the car adjust to weather faster . So on rainy days it use to run rough but now only for a few till it gets use to it then smooth . One group member explained it as it having more range than the original sensor . When we can we will re-tune the car , the weather is holding us back from going up to Kingston NY so he car add the new tune on mine and another turbo forte taking the trip with me . We are hoping to run the original intended tune ran on the SEMA VT again. last time we tried running it I was hitting overboost like crazy . once that tune is finalized it will be available for the automatic . currently the manual tune is good to go

·
Registered
194 Posts
A lot better feedback to the ECU. right now I am on stock tune and it feels totally different than before. The mpg's are up , mid range response is tons better and the car adjust to weather faster . So on rainy days it use to run rough but now only for a few till it gets use to it then smooth . One group member explained it as it having more range than the original sensor . When we can we will re-tune the car , the weather is holding us back from going up to Kingston NY so he car add the new tune on mine and another turbo forte taking the trip with me . We are hoping to run the original intended tune ran on the SEMA VT again. last time we tried running it I was hitting overboost like crazy . once that tune is finalized it will be available for the automatic . currently the manual tune is good to go
Good enough for me. I just bought one. Cant wait to see what it does for my SS turbo/tune. Every little bit helps.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts