Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

MAP Sensor Insert for Vac/Boost signal

17K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  MikeyB 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am happy to present initial development of my first offering.

This little plate insert will get you a clean air signal for a boost gauge, BOV, vacuum switch, etc. Pretty much anything that requires a vacuum/boost air signal.
The plate itself will be billet 6061-T6 Aluminum, the fittings will be hose barbs and will be aluminum as well, sized for 3/16" hose.

Here you will see the factory MAP sensor and plate, modeled in 3D so you can see how they go together, and to give you an idea of what it will all look like.

I would like to have the plate offer 2 ports. Use both if you want, or use one and plug the other.
I will include 2 hose barbs and 1 screw to plug a hole if you only want to use one port, along with 2 new longer screws to secure everything.

Output device Automotive design Automotive exterior Camera accessory Audio equipment

Output device Camera accessory Surveillance camera Camera lens Cameras & optics

Camera accessory Automotive lighting Cameras & optics Auto part Personal protective equipment

Arm Gesture Font Sharing Auto part

Now, here is where I can take any suggestions. As you see it right now, the ports are pointing towards the right of the engine bay, if you are standing in front of the car facing the engine. This is best illustrated in the third picture.

If the consensus is to have them positioned differently, I can accommodate that. I chose their position because I thought it looked cool and after staring at the engine bay for a good 10 minutes it seems having them point towards the battery side is the most logical.

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#4 ·
May sound ridiculous but where's the MAP positioned on this engine? Haven't looked at it much since I got it (Been busy). Is it by the BPV? I want one of these so I'll be interested in the development...

#5 ·
Pop the hood. It's in plain sight dead center on the black plastic intake manifold, just under the plastic engine cover.

My 3D printed prototype and hardware will be here tomorrow for design validation.
If I like what I see, next one will be billet aluminum that I will actually run to make sure it functions as designed.

Rectangle Electric blue Wood Plastic Gas

#7 ·
This little plate will give you a dedicated boost/vacuum signal for something like:

Boost/Vacuum gauge
Blow off valve
Hobbs switch
etc

This is just a cleaner alternative to cutting into factory vacuum lines to run these accessories. A good example is this thread:

http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/9-kia-forte-turbo-discussions/83-boost-gauge-install.html

If you read it you'll see he is only getting a boost reading and not vacuum. If he hooked his gauge up to what I am making, he would have full use of his boost gauge.

#14 ·
Slightly OT, but anyone suggest any gauges that would fit in nicely with the look of the standard ones? I was thinking one of the Defi ones, but that's serious chunk of change for just a boost gauge as you'd need the control unit too. Think I had a Greddy one in my impreza which was ok.

#16 ·
So far so good!

My hardware fits as designed. I still need to seal between the plate and the manifold and I have a sheet of gasket material and shaping it to fit is a pain.
I don't feel like sourcing someone to cut the gasket sheet to shape so i will add a small extrusion to the plate to act a o-ringed gasket just like the stock sensor works.

I'll finish this revision today and I'll have a functional article later this week I can use to test.

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Rim

Automotive tire Bicycle part Helmet Analog watch Rim

#19 ·
Looks good! Nice and clean fitting.

Markus, the gauge I have currently is a generic Glowshift gauge that I had laying around from another car. It fits well with stock gauges in that the needle is matching red and the color of the gauge is dark to match the dash. Just a thought, theyre pretty inexpensive

#21 ·
UPDATE!

I finally got my first prototype back from CNC. Test fitting will happen tomorrow and I am having a third party run it to make sure it works ok.
I plan on taking pre-orders and I will have pricing announced based on the interest. The more I have interested the better price I can offer for everyone.

I will take pics installed tomorrow and post them.
I particularly like that it seals like the factory sensor, and we don't have to rely on a paper gasket.

Wheel Tire Bicycle part Camera accessory Gas

Tool Camera accessory Auto part Gas Composite material

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.