Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as recent as a week ago, I've been very reckless with my driving habits. The normal speed here is 90-100KM/H so 55-60MPHon the freeway; guys can push it a bit and go 120KM/H without great risk of being pulled over. For some reason when I put my foot down, I don't let off until I'm doing 160km/h or 100mph and the difference between my speed and the flow of traffic is very substantial. That said, I'm not cutting and dicing, but at least making sure it's somewhat clear. When I do this, usually some guys try to play along and also follow which is bad. It encourages me to go even faster because of the adrenaline flow. I'm afraid if I keep this up, some unmarked cop is going to pull me over, impound my car for 'street racing' and my premiums will skyrocket. Anything above 50KM/H is considered "street racing" and we get our cars impounded for 7 days, lose our license for 10 days and some other hefty fines...then the insurance company get their turn at you.

I need an intervention from the ForteTurbo community. What can I do? Can I unbolt the turbo? That turbo kicking in is "the hit" I'm always craving for.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Tune it, but make it Stage -2 (that reads "Stage minus 2").

And man, I feel you very so much.
Police is not really forgiving much, although did not have the "chance" yet in F5.
But hitting 160 km/h happens quite quickly. Or in city - limit is 70 km/h and I found myself not once doing 120...

And when I mentioned in the other post about falling for Golf R, or maybe even base GTI, I am afraid that would end up even worse than with F5.

I wish highways had speed limits of 140, 160 km/h. And I wish majority of the drivers paid attention to the road: used mirrors, blinkers, and put their phones down when driving. By doing so legislators would notice increased safety and would not be so strict about limits.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL PLP, I'm sure our post have not earned us any endorsements given the lack of contribution.

I'm surprised how many big horsepower drivers out there are so restrained. I guess that's why big horsepower cars from the factory are relatively muted and subdued, only to be awakened by a "sport" button. Keeps them in check.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Leave it in 4th.

The frequent trips to the pump will smarten your ass up :p

·
Registered
827 Posts
So as recent as a week ago, I've been very reckless with my driving habits. The normal speed here is 90-100KM/H so 55-60MPHon the freeway; guys can push it a bit and go 120KM/H without great risk of being pulled over. For some reason when I put my foot down, I don't let off until I'm doing 160km/h or 100mph and the difference between my speed and the flow of traffic is very substantial. That said, I'm not cutting and dicing, but at least making sure it's somewhat clear. When I do this, usually some guys try to play along and also follow which is bad. It encourages me to go even faster because of the adrenaline flow. I'm afraid if I keep this up, some unmarked cop is going to pull me over, impound my car for 'street racing' and my premiums will skyrocket. Anything above 50KM/H is considered "street racing" and we get our cars impounded for 7 days, lose our license for 10 days and some other hefty fines...then the insurance company get their turn at you.

I need an intervention from the ForteTurbo community. What can I do? Can I unbolt the turbo? That turbo kicking in is "the hit" I'm always craving for.
Control yourself. Problem solved. You're gunna HATE getting pulled over and cited, you'll HATE getting narcked on with cell phone video or someone's car camera. Or a motorcylist with a go-pro camera on their helmet.............Control yourself.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My route to worked was changed by construction, so I started heading south on 94/294 into Chicago. There's a spot where there are no opening for the Sheriffs to hide by Golf road. If the opportunity presented itself, I'd regularly crank it up to 115mph / 185kph. It was super exhilarating and got the adrenaline pumping for sure.
I got good at spotting the cops hiding spots too. THEN I ran up behind a trooper and he pulled me over even though I never passed him at speed. He gave me a warning by some miracle. Construction ended finally and I went a new way to work. I got going one morning and I got pulled over, by going 77 in a 55 mph zone. The trooper asked me all kinds of questions, trying to rile me up, "Where's the fire"? "Where are you going in such a hurry"?, but I didn't take the bait. He knew and I knew that I had been going MUCH faster earlier in the route, but he didn't clock me then. I ended up going to court to get court supervision / traffic school so it wouldn't hit my insurance. With fees it was $240. :(
The speed is fun, and exciting, but it is dangerous to self and others, and can get expensive QUICK. I'm going to try and get into the autocross and satisfy my need for speed in that way. Another idea is a local 1/4 mile track. Put that pedal to the floor in a much safer place.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The speed is fun, and exciting, but it is dangerous to self and others
Another idea is a local 1/4 mile track. Put that pedal to the floor in a much safer place.
I am sorry to hear that story, but yeah, bad luck with him being plain straight on 77/55. Could have dropped a few miles to get you below 16 mph over.

I quoted you as it contradicts itself.
So is speed dangerous or not?
Does speed kill or people?

If you dug deep enough you would find that majority of accidents are not caused by speed. Speed could be a factor, BUT if you are going fast, you MUST think ahead.
Look on this video.
It was a very loud case about this guy.

So, while I agree, he broke so many laws, he confused and scared so many other drivers... But did he endanger anyone?
Look on his skills. Look how he knows where to get. Despite driving incredibly fast (police stated it was over 120 mph in many places, and if I recall, top speed was over 140 mph), he never collided with anyone, never used horn, never sworn.
Did not use blinkers. That's a shame, though.

Not that I am saying we should be doing what he did.
All I am saying is - that's a heck of skills. If everyone was able to manage such driving, we would not be having accidents.

When I hear on news that snow storm killed five drivers due to a pile up on 127 north, I am - what a moron is saying it. Since when snow kills people in cars?
Stop drinking coffee, don't shave when driving, put the phone down (email can wait), and focus on the road. That's the only task you have. Have your car in top condition (good tires, clean windows, correctly aimed headlights). And then think what is happening on the road. Predict. Use blinkers, mirrors, and be polite.

With all of this we will be save whether going 25 mph or 100 mph.

·
Registered
445 Posts
When I drive fast, I am Terminator like with my scanning of the road ahead. I'm constantly checking side mirrors, rear view, signal, head check on lane change, etc.. I'm rarely overtaken, but I am always on the lookout for someone coming up behind me. That doesn't scare me, I'm scared when someone in front of me changes lanes unexpectedly or doesn't signal and cuts over.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't matter how keen you think your senses are, your day will come.

I thought I had mentioned this but I was doing about 120kmh in a 60zone. Cops come out in full force on weekends because they know how people like to get drunk from bars and drive home afterwards. Last weekend I came right up to a cop cruiser but luckily he must have been on a call and didn't bother with me.

I want to take her to 200kmh burn at that speed o can kiss my license good bye. Lots of stories of people doing in excess of 200kmh and they get their names palsterrd in the papers. Probably never to drive again.

It happened again tonight. Was doing 120kmh and see these headlights coming up on my ass quick so I drop it to 4th and take her to 140-150 so I can clear traffic and change lanes. This guy took it as an invitation to rip his car past me. I slowed down to about 120 when he passed me at a high click and then I see them ahead cutting and dicing which is just stupid. I'll see if the footage is clear or not on my dashcam when I get a chance.

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's "crazy" if you want to go "fast" go to the track! JMO

But it was interesting to watch.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
534 Posts
I agree, drive safe and drive responsible. But I also want to see if you really really read into the laws in most states.. Speeding is not illegal. Not condoning it, just trying to get you guys to get some adrenaline flowing by battling it out in court. 😁

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Speeding is not illegal.
But that's how police act. They arrest you for a burnout. You got too fast and they arrest you.
I mean, for God's sake, if I was drank, caused an accident where I killed someone - yes, arrest me. But otherwise, send me to court or give me a ticket.
Going 100 mph in 70 mph is not enough IMO.

Going 60 mph in 25 mph is a different story, but still arresting is not appropriate.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But that's how police act. They arrest you for a burnout. You got too fast and they arrest you.
I mean, for God's sake, if I was drank, caused an accident where I killed someone - yes, arrest me. But otherwise, send me to court or give me a ticket.
Going 100 mph in 70 mph is not enough IMO.

Going 60 mph in 25 mph is a different story, but still arresting is not appropriate.
That's true. Some laws are absolute when it needs to be graded on a scale which is what you find with some cops. If it's an empty highway and you're doing a bit quicker than the posted limit in a sensible way but also slow down when you see them, I"m sure some will let you walk but it's those who pull you over and tear you a new one that are the trouble. 100 in a 70 zone should be fine but doing 60 in a school zone is just beyond idiocy and you should be reamed.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
That's true. Some laws are absolute when it needs to be graded on a scale which is what you find with some cops. If it's an empty highway and you're doing a bit quicker than the posted limit in a sensible way but also slow down when you see them, I"m sure some will let you walk but it's those who pull you over and tear you a new one that are the trouble. 100 in a 70 zone should be fine but doing 60 in a school zone is just beyond idiocy and you should be reamed.
But again, making an arrest? Ticket, court, fee - sure. Maybe if you had done it 2 or more times then I would understand.

It's like anything would put you into jail.
Burnout? Most of them had done it themselves many times, yet do it and you get handcuffed. It is BS.

It is a different thing, like this guy driving (I am still amazed - digression, but I think if everyone had skills like that, no accidents ever would happen) and waving through traffic at high speed, running red light, and such. Then yes, arrest would be expected.
But just doing 160 km/h on a highway? Let's face it - 110 km/h is nothing. You are barely moving. At 140 you can finally see you are getting somewhere, especially if you need to cover 500 km. One hour was just saved.

Safety, one might say - yeah, right.

Old one, but very good.

At some point there is a mother whom child was killed by another women driving and SUV. She was doing speed limit, barely moving at all, at 25 mph. Yet, she was on the phone. But heck, she was doing the speed limit, so she was safe driver.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
But again, making an arrest? Ticket, court, fee - sure. Maybe if you had done it 2 or more times then I would understand.

It's like anything would put you into jail.
Burnout? Most of them had done it themselves many times, yet do it and you get handcuffed. It is BS.

It is a different thing, like this guy driving (I am still amazed - digression, but I think if everyone had skills like that, no accidents ever would happen) and waving through traffic at high speed, running red light, and such. Then yes, arrest would be expected.
But just doing 160 km/h on a highway? Let's face it - 110 km/h is nothing. You are barely moving. At 140 you can finally see you are getting somewhere, especially if you need to cover 500 km. One hour was just saved.

Safety, one might say - yeah, right.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Could not hear it.
But yeah, our "talking" here is not changing anything.
In spite of recent accidents (Tesla and Uber) I foresee further limitations on speeds.

Let's face it - drivers are getting less educated and more distracted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts