Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my drop springs in today but my buddy that has all the air tools is busy for awhile. Can you install them using hand tools?

Instagram @darth_forte

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Yes you can! Just takes a tad longer. Make sure you have the spring compressors

·
Super Moderator
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ughhhh I don't have those, I think I may be able to rent them. What other tools are required

Instagram @darth_forte

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
you can rent spring compressors.... i think they are like 40$ but when you return them you get the money right back. harbor freight has a set for $16.... so if you use them not that often, they will be ok, i have a set, i cant remember where i got them from though...

typically when reinstalling the new springs, because of their shorter height usually you dont need the spring compressor on the new spring, its usually just for the taller OEM spring....

you'll need an Allen key or a perfect size slotted screw driver for the sway bar end link... you have to keep the center from spinning and use an open end wrench to remove the nut....

when i did my soul before, which has very similar suspension, i believe i did a corner at a time and it took maybe an hour or so taking my time... now i have 2 floor jacks so i can probably do the front then the rear and be done in no time...

·
Super Moderator
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question I remove the front strut assembly before compressing the spring right?

Instagram @darth_forte

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes remove the assy
you can do the job with a 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 21mm, Allen wrench and the spring compressor

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
if you have worked on cars for a good amount of time, you can have a good feel of how tight the bolts should be.

if anything after 50 miles of driving i would say check the bolts again to make sure they are still tight after some driving

·
Super Moderator
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have worked on cars for some time, just normally have air tools at my disposal. For work like this I have never used hand tools but I will check after some driving

Instagram @darth_forte

1 - 10 of 10 Posts