Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a general question for other Forum readers - my stock Koup Turbo (auto) revs quite highly (and quickly) in first and second gear, but doesn't seem to accelerate with any real kick in those gears. By comparison, the acceleration kick in third and fourth is noticeably stronger ie; you can feel the turbo kick when accelerating in third and fourth. If I punt it hard from a standing start not a lot happens until I hit third gear, and then she takes off :). It's almost as if the turbo isn't activating in first and second. Articles I've read say the turbo starts spooling from just below 2000 revs, but I'm just not noticing it.

Is this normal? Does everyone else's car do the same thing?

BTW, I have about 3,500kms on the clock and the dealer said I would notice a difference in performance at around 3,000kms - I don't think I've noticed any change, or maybe it's still too early, or maybe the dealer was dreaming.......?

Cheers,

Johno.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
ECO and Traction control off?
If i could get a nickel for the number of times i have to tell a customer to turn off eco unless they are taking a long trip or driving alot of highway. I would be a very rich man.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I am also A/T and would never go with anything else. Without some way to monitor what is happening in first and second gear it is hard to say really, Mine would do that on occasion mostly when I really needed it, like pulling out in traffic and it would fall on it's face till about 20 mph then boost would kick in and off I went. I don't remember what I changed but I think it was my test hot pipe to the stock IC that ended that but honestly I don't remember exactly, I have tried so many different things under the hood, replacing the stock hot pipe was the best one, gave the stock IC a kick in the @$$.
i am M/T and i am having "the wave" issue that all the veloster owners are speaking of. There are threads you could read for days, but it all boils down to the Strategy mapped to the ecu from the factory. and the only way to take care of this would be a solid tune( and not all tunes are the same., the tuner would have to know exactly what is causing this fluctuation to fully take care of the situation) having 3 previous vehicles tuned you come to understand this is the only way to fix these types of things. We think and sometimes drive like its a race car. LOL but the manufacture focuses on MPG MPG MPG MPG, and that in return has its negatives. You don't see an EVO drivers complaining about acceleration issues, because that car was race inspired and meant to go fast. Same goes for a corvette for instance. Just give it a few months and there will be many options to deplete this. Patience is a virtue. Meantime enjoy you vehicle to its full extent

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
With mine it will accelerate pretty hard through all the gears. I can feel the boost hit in 1st gear when I do a WOT take off. Only time it feels sluggish in those gears is after a few good hard pulls since it heat soaked.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If i could get a nickel for the number of times i have to tell a customer to turn off eco unless they are taking a long trip or driving alot of highway. I would be a very rich man.
Thanks for the responses so far.

In terms of ECO, there is no (apparent) ability to deactivate (or, for that matter, activate) any ECO option on my car. There is no button that I can see :). My wife's Sorento has the ECO button, but not my Koup. Maybe it's an Australasian thing (I'm in NZ). Any Aussies got an ECO switch on their Koup? (The Australasian Koups have a differently tuned suspension set up to work better on Aussie and NZ roads, so maybe the removal of any ECO option is also an area-specific thing?)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
if there is no disable button for eco, then you dont have eco. in some contries its an optinal package. I have owned two optimas, my wife is on her second turbo sportage, and my parents are on there second sorento. And also just working in a Kia shop you see the placement of eco different. Some have buttons and some are placed through the options in the menu screen. But let me just say personally as a Kia tech and having to deal with all the bullshit that comes with eco. Just be thankful you dont have it.. lol

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
So I am guessing just leave the button alone? I have tried it and it doesn't really seem to help the mpg at all besides changing the shift points on the trans.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I get about 2 customers a week complaining about that damned eco. My opinion/advice is turn it off and only use it for long trips/ highway driviing. you will thank me

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I used it driving to work which I do about 200 miles round trip and I still didn't notice anything lol. Maybe my car just needs time to break in more since it only has 600 on it so far

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I used it driving to work which I do about 200 miles round trip and I still didn't notice anything lol. Maybe my car just needs time to break in more since it only has 600 on it so far
Yes breakin will make a difference. but either way stay away form the eco!!
aslo as far as break in. You may here all different types of suggestions on how to drive in the first 3000 miles
My advice.... BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF IT. Break it in the right way, i could go on and on why i am suggesting this but im just going to leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Yes breakin will make a difference. but either way stay away form the eco!!
aslo as far as break in. You may here all different types of suggestions on how to drive in the first 3000 miles
My advice.... BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF IT. Break it in the right way, i could go on and on why i am suggesting this but im just going to leave it at that.
I get on it pretty good. I have so far hit 120 up against a Mercedes I was playing with but I usually don't do that kind of thing often but do push it a bit when driving around but when going to work I set the cruse control and just let it be at 70 lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
I get on it pretty good. I have so far hit 120 up against a Mercedes I was playing with but I usually don't do that kind of thing often but do push it a bit when driving around but when going to work I set the cruse control and just let it be at 70 lol
Per the manual, don't maintain a constant RPM during break in.
Setting the cruise control on flat terrain will set you up to achieve constant RPM.
I'm no expert and this topic had been debated on just about every forum so take it with a grain of salt, but why not be safe and just vary the rpm with the alpha model cruise control attached to your ankle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interestingly, our manual says that there's isn't a necessary break-in period, but then it does go on to provide the recommendations DennRN listed.

It's very similar to the break-in for the new Subaru STIs. It makes me think ours is broke-in from the factory like theirs. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Interestingly, our manual says that there's isn't a necessary break-in period, but then it does go on to provide the recommendations DennRN listed.

It's very similar to the break-in for the new Subaru STIs. It makes me think ours is broke-in from the factory like theirs. Can anyone confirm?
I Wish you would of posted this 10 minutes ago. I was just on the phone with an engineer and i would of asked him

1 - 17 of 17 Posts