Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new house. As I mentioned before, I live in the bay area, where houses and apt rents are extremely high priced. I'm interesting in buying a house, but the commuting would be around 100 miles. I would like to know how much will I pay in gas monthly? I know there are some estimates online about gas bill blah blah, but those guys will only count distance and price. I belive some of you might commute a long distance and might have an idea on how much you pay for gas montly. Any help will be appreciate.

PS: My car is the Forte Koup 2015 SX MT

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had a 110 mile round trip commute until I moved. If you have to go to work every day and can't work remote it would cost you 1.5 tanks a week. So it does add up. That was in a low traffic area too in San Fran traffic you may be a full 2 tanks a week. So whatever you pay for a tank of gas there times 8 for the month.

But that is peanuts compared to the loss of, well your life. All that time spent commuting is such a waste. And unnecessarily stressful. If you can't afford to live closer in I would relocate to a different city.

·
Registered
518 Posts
the only thing i would say is do that drive and calculate how much gas you use and do the math. everyones mods and driving habits are different

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a 110 mile round trip commute until I moved. If you have to go to work every day and can't work remote it would cost you 1.5 tanks a week. So it does add up. That was in a low traffic area too in San Fran traffic you may be a full 2 tanks a week. So whatever you pay for a tank of gas there times 8 for the month.

But that is peanuts compared to the loss of, well your life. All that time spent commuting is such a waste. And unnecessarily stressful. If you can't afford to live closer in I would relocate to a different city.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I wanted to heard something from someone who has the same car. My wife and I might decide to rent for a couple more years and save more money. If in 3 to 4 years we don't find anything appealing, we might move out of bay area but with good money for a down payment for another city. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
the only thing i would say is do that drive and calculate how much gas you use and do the math. everyones mods and driving habits are different
Aint that the truth brother. I was complaining about a tank a week because I was basically coming from a tank every 2 or 3 weeks from an Toyota Echo to this car. Now I'm averaging 4 days every tank because I'm freakin' redlining every gear pretty much or punching it every chance I get. It's summer and you only live once. Once winter comes man, it's definitely going to be more sedate driving.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I would like to know how much will I pay in gas monthly? I know there are some estimates online about gas bill blah blah, but those guys will only count distance and price.
C'mon... that is like asking how much beer I can drink so that you will know how much you can have.
Too many variables.
First is your style.
While I got from my last tank 29 MPG (calculated, computer gave 32 MPG) on my city driving (12 miles round trip, about 15-20 minutes one way), someone else will get barely 22 MPG.

The day I bought car and drove for 500 miles I made it on one tank. Sure, last miles were on reserve, but I scored 36 MPG. Minimal traffic, 65 MPH, minimal A/C use.

Therefore, you can easily get away with 32 MPG or easily put 26 MPG on highway with many stops, hard pulls, heavy A/C.
Cost?
Well, lets see it.
100 miles, 36 MPG average - 14 gallons per week. One tank.
100 miles, 26 MPG average - 19 gallons per week.

All up to you.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
This isn't flat country driving. It's hilly traffic jammed San Francisco metro area.
How do you know, huh? OP's profile is empty when comes to location.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Because he said so?
I must have missed that. Plus, even if I did not, I would not know it refers to SF only... just like GTA or other "tri-county" common names. Sorry, ESL...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you know, huh? OP's profile is empty when comes to location.
Well, the commute area will be between Hollister and Santa Clara. The plan is to get 101 and drive 45 miles. Luckly my job is at the exit of 101 and the house will be around 5 miles. That is the only plus thing that made me doubt.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I was traveling 180 miles a day with my F5 A/T and had to fill up every 2 days or twice a week. That's in a 1.5hr drive to work and 2.5-3hr drive home in traffic. I am fully bolted with tune though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was traveling 180 miles a day with my F5 A/T and had to fill up every 2 days or twice a week. That's in a 1.5hr drive to work and 2.5-3hr drive home in traffic. I am fully bolted with tune though

This is a 100 miles round trip commuting. So it will be like 1 tank per 4 days, around so? I will do some experiments first.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
You might go every 3 days at best

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
This is a 100 miles round trip commuting. So it will be like 1 tank per 4 days, around so? I will do some experiments first.
May, may not... You should reach 33 MPG calculated or 35 MPG computer. Can be done, but it all depends on traffic, A/C use, and finally, but mainly your foot.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I thought winter will be the toughest...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Shoulda bought a Prius, lol.

I use to stress over the fuel mileage because I'm trying to save for a house. Our prices for gas is pretty average I guess being around $1 a litre so I think that works out to be about $2.80 per gallon? I try to take it easy on the go pedalled shift under 3K but YOLO.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Right now with the heat... I'm getting 17mpg...its killing me slowly
I wonder how would your MPG be if you were completely stock...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts