Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to put the forte5 in the air yet but I know it's coming eventually. I have a jack and Jack stands but I hear different stories on jacking these cars up. I found one post that described it well but without pictures it's hard to grasp. I need to lift the front up as one and the back as one. Also I will be lowering it so that does make it more difficult.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've done it both ways. Jacking it up isn't hard. But driving on to ramps is too easy not to do unless you need to take off a wheel
But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I prefer jacks and jack stands... More useful than ramps IMO. A simple oil change sure a nice set of ramps would work, but setting up a jack on one side of the car and placing a jackstand for proper safety is just as quick.

Mind you I haven't yet had the car supported by 2 Jack stands yet... I just place the jack on the pinch welds, and put the jack stand as close to that as possible.

There is a thread on here about lift points... It called like "how do you lift bro" or something lol

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I looked at that thread but what I get from it is lifting the car from the sides. I just need a front lift point and places to put the stands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've often used the control arms on other cars to place the jack, leaving me all the room I need to put the stands on the pinch welds.

You'll need to do this for each side obviously, I don't know of any single lift point for the front.

For the rear I'm sure there has to be a point in the middle, cause there's no solid place to put both a jack and Jack stands.

When it comes time to switch my summer tires back on I'll have another look.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
ramps unless you need to unload the suspension

·
Registered
445 Posts
I use ramps for oil changes and a jack when I put on the Tork collars. I put jack stands under the lower control arms when I did it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've never tried out the ramps. Paranoid that I'd just roll right over them. Plus need the jack/stands for anything requiring taking the wheels off anyway.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I haven't lifted my car yet either, but I will have to soon.

My girlfriend's father has a hoist, so I may be putting it on that. But if not, I will need to jack it. I don't really have the space for ramps. Unless they folded into a suitcase, then I would question their strength lol.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i used ramps to do my collars

·
Registered
445 Posts
Why not ramps for the collars?
I think someone had suggested stands in a VT thread for the collars because it was easier if the wheels were unloaded. I had it up on ramps and there was one collar that was tough getting it in there. I jacked it up and it was able to slide the collar on there easier. Some have had no trouble using ramps, it was just tough on one of them for me.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
The choice is really up to you, I personally like jack and jack stands over ramps if i cant get my car on a hoist.
Gina

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Ramps.
Jacks only if wheel must come off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts