Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so for the past few weeks, I've been entertaining the idea of trading my forte5 sx in for a new camaro. So much so, that I've been actively trying to find the one I want.

Today I get a phone call from the new (new to the dealership) "business development director" about their upcoming stinger gt. I've done my research on the car, and it's not terrible, but he actively called me and said they had 2 coming, would know next week when they are to arrive.

now, this dealership has had my business 3 seperate times, and I like them. This guy has pretty much said they have a deal set in place, if I accept it, to trade my sx in for one of these new stingers.

now the stinger is obviously not a camaro, and I understand it's not attempting to be, or compete with it, but it's still an enticing vehicle nonetheless. from what I've been told, the 2 models coming to the dealership will be loaded GT models, 1 with AWD, and 1 RWD, but color unknown.

I'm kinda on the fence right now. I can comfortably spend around 45k for a new car, my only issue is getting the right amount for trade in for mine. It's obviously not going to net me what I paid for it, but I believe a kia dealer would give me more for it than a chevrolet dealer.

any thoughts? I'm kinda on the fence all around about either keeping my car and modding it, or getting a camaro and modding it, or getting the stinger and modding it. I can't see myself being too terribly much happier with any option over the other.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Stinger is deceptively a large car. I love that it's a fastback and not a morning sedan with a useless trunk. Furthermore, the drivetrain offered is pretty much big leagues. I believe the 3.3 V6 is only available for the AWD and 2.0T is mated to the RWD. I'm not sure how I feel about that, I mean it smacks of copycat where the Germans have done xDrive or AMG's version of AWD, Infiniti also has AWD sedans so I don't blame Kia per se because the market dictates it but I would love to see a car like this offered a la carte.

How potent is that engine though? The G70 will be the Hyundai variant and that thing will look like a Q60 competitor, I guess? Be interesting how Kia prices these. better yet, I'm dying to know if they will revive the Genesis Coupe os is that the G70?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
This is even worse comparison (in terms of decision) than Gaijin. He is going from VT to Genesis... while you are thinking of Forte vs Stinger. And Singer GT.
It is 20 inches longer car, much heavier, and having 3.3 V6 that is twin turboed. Seeing what Forte deals with turbo, I wonder what kind of turbo system Stinger uses.
Is it two chargers in series or two charges in parallel - one per side. If parallel - I would be seeing lots of issues down the road to keep the boost even.
But having this aside.

The question you want to ask yourself - what you are expecting to happen/to have?

Forte will not give you the power that Stinger already had, unless with very heavy modding.
If it is AWD, assuming your location as zip code, you do not really experience winter with snow, so AWD would not be so much fun as it would be for me.

Modding - there is nothing on the market for Stinger, is there? It may share engine platform with Genesis, but that is their new model as well. So engine wise not so much...

Going to Chevy - that is a completely different story. Which one would you be thinking of? 2.0? 3.6? 6.2?
I can tell you one thing - I had Challenger (I could not find really a difference between Camaro and Challenger - very almost same specs). It was 3.6 V6. It was a loaner from FCA.
Anyway, on paper it is 268 lb/305 H. Sounds awesome. While shifts in normal driving are smooth, like a limousine, I did not even know they were happening. It was awesome, once I punched it to see how the power goes - nothing happened. It was still same. Smooth shifts.
Sure, it did 6.2 s 0-60 mph, but there was no adrenaline to it. I feel like Forte is much stronger as it propels much sharper.
So 3.6 was a no no to me.
Not to mention one very annoying thing - I could not see shit from Challenger. Very long front, tiny windows. Oh well.
But burnouts are nice.

And one more thing to consider, unless financially it is not a problem.
Is it worth spending this much money?

And since you are here... Golf R? It has great DSG gearbox that gets better times than MT. It is wet DCT, not like KIA dry clutches.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I believe the 3.3 V6 is only available for the AWD and 2.0T is mated to the RWD.
According to KIA both can be AWD or RWD.
AWD is supposedly same as in Sportage, for example, and that is one of very good systems. That's what people are saying... (that is good).

Reactions: danbfree

·
Registered
27 Posts
Only one way to know.

Test Drive the crap out of it!

Stinger will be the more original/unique way to go. Mind you, it's ver 1.0 so there is that to consider. Power wise, I think it's too soon to say or compare until you get behind the wheel. I do like what kia is doing (thinking outside the square) watch for reviews....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, see, in terms of the genesis, I already have one. I have a 2013 track edition, so I wouldn't want to go to that platform as I'm already there, but sidestepping isn't an issue.

as far as the stinger, I expect a true GT car. something I can get in and drive for 10 hours and not get john boat ass, and yet still have enough power to not be sitting there going "come on, gimme a little more"

I know, mod wise, nothing is there yet, obviously because the car isn't released yet. This isn't a problem as mods for the forte 5 when I got it were almost nonexistent as well.

I would like awd, just because I used to have a heavily modded 3000gt vr-4, and I love the being-rear-ended-by-a-dumptruck-without-the-sheet-metal-damage takeoff it had.

as far as the camaro, I'm actually going to test drive several tomorrow. a local dealer has 41 SS's on the lot, of varying colors, trims, packages, transmissions, etc. I definitely am going SS if I pick the chevy, I just don't know what trim yet. while I like the idea of a fully loaded car, I'm not sure if I'm going to want the leather seats. I have a navdy hud now, so I don't know if it would be worth spending a few grand on the upgrades for the camaro's built in hud.

financially speaking, I'm not really worried about what it takes, I have the money. But to answer your question, being worth all the options is a consideration. Sure I could spend 85k on a zl1 1le and probably enjoy every second of it, but I don't see it being worth it to me, smile-per-gallon wise, as much as a regular ss. Plus, I'm geared more towards auto trannys these days as I've recently went through knee surgery. I'm going to attempt a manual (I've driven one for years, and prefer it), but I don't think my knee will let me (it's one of the main reasons I traded my 2015 mt sx for my current 2016 at sx).

I have looked at the golf r's, and they are enticing in every aspect. I'm kinda torn away from vw though as I've had 2 close friends that have had several over the years, and they just didn't hold up well imho. not mechanically, that wasn't the issue, but little things like the headliner coming loose, or seats falling apart. I know that can happen with any vehicle, but I just have a bad taste in my mouth with vw in the long term.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only one way to know.

Test Drive the crap out of it!

Stinger will be the more original/unique way to go. Mind you, it's ver 1.0 so there is that to consider. Power wise, I think it's too soon to say or compare until you get behind the wheel. I do like what kia is doing (thinking outside the square) watch for reviews....

I will do this as early as possible, but from what I'm reading from several forums and self proclaimed "people in the know", I don't see the stinger hitting the market until later this year, early next year. obviously, time will tell, but I don't really want to wait that long to get something new (I'm trying to get it all done before I move)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So. I kinda bought a Camaro. 5 hours of negotiations at the dealer. Several walk outs. So far it's exactly what I want, in the exact trim package I want.

The bank and dealer are finalizing the deal Monday morning (I have the funds ready to go, but they are closed weekends) and the dealer is driving the car to me (they are over an hour away)

They only offered me 14 for my sx, which is unnaceptable (it's in like new condition. 6300 miles).

I also got to see the nice carbon brakes on a new Vette that cost 117,000.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
So. I kinda bought a Camaro. 5 hours of negotiations at the dealer. Several walk outs. So far it's exactly what I want, in the exact trim package I want.

The bank and dealer are finalizing the deal Monday morning (I have the funds ready to go, but they are closed weekends) and the dealer is driving the car to me (they are over an hour away)

They only offered me 14 for my sx, which is unnaceptable (it's in like new condition. 6300 miles).

I also got to see the nice carbon brakes on a new Vette that cost 117,000.

Did you get a 2017 or 2018 Camaro? I had a look at 15/16 Camaros - I don't fit in the damn things. Post a photo or two...........

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you get a 2017 or 2018 Camaro? I had a look at 15/16 Camaros - I don't fit in the damn things. Post a photo or two...........
They only had 1 2017 in what I wanted, and no 2018s that were non convertible 2ss a8, so 2017 it is.

I'll post pictures when it gets here, by time negotiations were done it was night time and raining, so I didn't get any pics yet.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Stinger is going to the first true "drivers" Kia, first one designed from the ground up by the German experts brought in, it REALLY can't be compared to ANY Kia before it as far driving/handling quality... It will be fantastic for the money as an alternative to the Audi A5 Sportback and the BMW GT/fastback... I personally would be happy with the 2.0T in AWD, provided it will be tuneable, I think OP missed out on getting the twin turbo V6 AWD, but sound like a Camaro is what he really wanted, good luck!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still interested in the stinger gt awd, but I just think the time frame isn't where I want it to be. Plus I couldn't give up the deal on the camaro I just bought.

I've not got many pictures but I made a quick video since it was asked.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The Camaro, Stinger and Koup are completely different cars, at different market segments and prices, but no doubt that the V8 Camaro is a very fine world class car. If it wasnt' for the claustrophobic interior and that HUGE front hood - I'd of had one. The handling/acceleration and such is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Camaro, Stinger and Koup are completely different cars, at different market segments and prices, but no doubt that the V8 Camaro is a very fine world class car. If it wasnt' for the claustrophobic interior and that HUGE front hood - I'd of had one. The handling/acceleration and such is as good as it gets.
No doubt, it's a great time to be alive when a regular Mustang GT for $30k will go 0-60 in 4 seconds... Just amazing...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
No doubt, it's a great time to be alive when a regular Mustang GT for $30k will go 0-60 in 4 seconds... Just amazing...
Not 4, but 4.3 or 4.5 (depending on the source) and not 30k but 34k (33.1+destination)... and it is not a regular Mustang, but 5.0 V8. Regular is 3.6 V6 or 2.3T I4 with allegedly huge turbo lag. lol
:)

·
Registered
827 Posts
The only thing that kept me out of the Turbo 4 Premium Mustang was that Ford Killed the British Racing Green color and they push $34K with no local Ford dealers being competitive on special order stangs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not 4, but 4.3 or 4.5 (depending on the source) and not 30k but 34k (33.1+destination)... and it is not a regular Mustang, but 5.0 V8. Regular is 3.6 V6 or 2.3T I4 with allegedly huge turbo lag. lol
:)
Regular Mustang GT is what I said, a regular model that's been around forever (not a Shelby or other special model), and it's 0-60 in *under* 4.0 seconds: 2018 Ford Mustang Specs - Mustang GT Horsepower, 0-60

There is no V6 anymore, maybe for rental fleets, not sure, but no, the 4-cyl turbo at 0-60 in under 5 seconds is no slouch for $26k but seriously, at $33k for a GT is an incredibly quick car for the money, that is full-on exotic quickness!

Pulling it back on topic, the Stinger with the twin turbo and AWD is mid-5's and will cost probably $40k... not a bang for the buck quickness but hopefully full-on sports luxury competitor, should be interesting!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts