1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yep that's what I've heard for a long time now. Best way to warm up the car is to drive it. Warms up much faster that way. Less time below the ideal operating temp the better.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I can handle that I guess I was just a little reved up, just crazy to think when shes -20 f and the tranny is like paste but has anyone had any problems from idling their car for years of owner ship? I know its hard to say for sure exactly that caused the problem, JW...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I doubt you'd find someone who actually had a problem one way or the other. Would have to keep the car a long time and there's all sorts of other factors that could be involved over time.

Best solution would be a block or oil pan heater.
http://www.amazon.com/Kats-24150-Watt-Universal-Heater/dp/B000I8TQD6
I spoke with a friend of mine and his parents keep their cars for 200k plus and they never and any issues that could be claimed with idling. but I guess its preference, I know now I wont worry so much by just taking off from work with a cold engine though. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Both sides make sense to me. I prefer to idler my car though. I fall more under the warmer the oil the better the lubrication properties. Which is what wears.

But idling does not get all the parts up to temp, which is why they added heaters to O2 sensors etc. So they are proud and cons to both, but I will continue to idle mine.

The article I saw that really lit me up was where they said that all the USB ports are causing increases has usage. Heated seats, halogen bulbs, temp sensors for climate controlled etc all require more power than one USB port.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Like most internet articles, it is only black and white, never any gray areas. In my opinion, and my last car went 338K miles, just take it easy until the car is warmed up. If you want to idle for a few minutes until you think its ready, ok, if you prefer to start driving right away, but don't go WOT until operating temp is good, then fine. I'd bet dollars to donuts that regular fluid and filter changes can mitigate any 'damage' caused by idling.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I dont think any damage is done by idling.

I'm a firm believer of starting the car up, letting it idle for 15-20 seconds in the summer, or 1:30-2 mins in the winter. Just to build enough oil pressure to get in all the nooks and crannies.

I then proceed to drive very easy... shit before 2200 rpm. I don't care what the guy behind me thinks, cause I'll get up to speed just fine, maybe 2-3 seconds slower than he would.

On very cold days like -30 I'd be happy to let it idle for a minimum of 5mins.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the feedback I appreciate it!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I always sit long enough for the idle to drop. I think it's for heating the CATs but I also like to let the oil pressure build and sit for a minute or two.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yeah I always wait for the car to idle down from cold start before I go anywhere. With good quality oils and proper changing intervals should not have an issues directly related to letting your car idle.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I always idle my car for about 2-5 min depending on weather. Since with my drive is almost 85 miles one way and on ramp right near my house I like it to be warm enough so it doesn't hold boost back

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah it's not so much that idling hurts it more. Just that it doesn't help. Other than the convenience of having the cabin warm up and for it to be ready for that first highway on-ramp of it's close. I don't go over 3k until it's at operating temp.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've actually been trying to play around with this over the past week, I've noticed when I let it idle first after about 10 minutes of driving the perfomAnce is better. However today before leaving work I let it idle till operating temperature but could the power was lagging a bit. Checked the peak post and I was peaking at 18 at around 5000rmp. Normally it hits 19 by 4000 then drops.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
lately what i do in the morning is i let my car idle until needle starts to move... then i drive down my road in lets say 2nd or 3rd with the rpm's up a little... like around 2k or 2500 just to get heat in the motor a little more because i live right by a fast road 55mph and i want my needle/temperature to be in a good range by the time i get to that road...

after work. i usually start my car, then pop my trunk and take all my work stuff off and throw it in the trunk, then hop in and go....

so i would say i probably do excessive idiling but in my mind... just the right amount....

people that should be reading excessive idiling articles are the parents that sit in the parent pickup line at a school letting their car idle for an hour in 90+ humid heat in florida....

Reactions: Trocko

·
Registered
580 Posts
I let it idle until the cvvt is operational that takes anywhere from 2 to 15 . If I have to go I will drive east until it gets up to temp so I can get full operation of the system . A few blocks will most of the time do the trick . That God awful loose of power feeling you get when driving the car cold is just that . The cvvt is not flowing oil because the ecm is protecting the cvvt pump on top of the valve cover .

·
Registered
458 Posts
Like most internet articles, it is only black and white, never any gray areas. In my opinion, and my last car went 338K miles, just take it easy until the car is warmed up. If you want to idle for a few minutes until you think its ready, ok, if you prefer to start driving right away, but don't go WOT until operating temp is good, then fine. I'd bet dollars to donuts that regular fluid and filter changes can mitigate any 'damage' caused by idling.
I don't think yo'll get the Korean car to 338K. Wow, that's like half a million Kilometres. Hot diggity damn.

I saw a YouTube video of a Toyota getting 1,000,000 MILES... yup, 1,600,000 Kilometres. GOT Damn?!

·
Registered
580 Posts
My friend just gave up on his Hyundai then after I talked to him he fixed it again . All it needed was a new fuel pump . Which in my experience has been mostly the only major get you stuck part that I've replaced in a Kia or Hyundai on the average issue ,

It now has 543,958 kilometers on it. . 338,000 miles lol

Reactions: CrazyFritter

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Or people in SoCal who think 50 is cold and think they need to idle for 5 mins... ;)
Actually it's been low 30s and sometimes high 20s here in the mornings and yes for SoCal that's cold lol. I always let my car at least get 1 bar on the gauge before taking off. In summer it's not so much needed when it's 110 out lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts