Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I purchased my SX I purchased a 3" intake mostly for the sound and throttle response and was pleased. Ultimately due to KIA being assholes and me driving alot, I decided to go back to stock (with the exception of my catch cans, havent even put on my Tork collars yet) to keep all the hosing and yellow marking intact....

then I started shopping for paper air filter replacements....and decided to get a KN drop in.

I'd like to share my experiences and then ask if any of you have your own experiences and info to share.

I liked the 845 intake but there was a rubbing taking place between the pipe and the steel lines for the 6EE catch can. Also I initially liked the sound but without an exhaust (waiting for a ccheaper bolt up option) it sounds incomplete and way loud. An exhaust would balance this out.

The KN provides a sound increase, I'd say it is just under halfway between OEM paper and SRI. Overall I'm happy with it though I keep getting the itch to switch back. MPG's have dropped but I think it has more to do with my using the AC all the time now (Georgia summer is no joke!) I do multiple stops in a day and the heat under the hood seems to seep into the cabin between stops. By the end of the day I'm popping my hood like a NYC Taxi cab.

Has me looking into risers or fabricators to make functional hood vents....for now I raise the hood when I'm home or in a safe place for a bit.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of K&N filters. I just do not like a "wet" filter of any kind. I had Injen intake setup on my other car and did not like it, plus it lost low end power. It did have a "dry" cone filter which was nice.
O' I did try a weapons-R intake all so, bad. JMO
I "mod" my stock setup on that car and it ran really good plus got my MPG back and the low end.
So for me the stock setup on this car will stay for sure. JMO

·
Registered
535 Posts
K&N is gonna decrease the life of your motor. A stock sized replacement would HAVE to allow more particulates through to increase airflow for their claimed gains...

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Where is the actual proof of k&n decreasing engine life? If that's the case then all performance filters would do that. I have had k&n on all my cars since I started driving with no issues

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
doesnt k&n have a million mile warranty?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking over that first test, it seemed ALL filters allowed particles through...Even the OEM filter wasnt too much lighter than the Amsoil one (worst of the group). I'll probably send out a few oil samples to Blackstone, with a different filter each time, to see. I wonder if this silica plus all the oil that flows through our engines, leads to the carbon deposits on the valves....

·
Registered
3 Posts
K&N filters on all my cars and motorcycles for 15+ years with zero problems, better sound and a butt dyno increase in performance. Have to agree: where is any evidence of K&N's harming engine life?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The only ones I've heard that are bad are the dry foam filters, such as the ones from hks. But even then it's only here say.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts