Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got word and I've been back and forth all day . Kia denied my warranty based on modification to the engine . Even though it went to them in full stock form minus some factory spec screws . I've noticed a new long list of every Kia being denied fixes for a bunch of reasons . My dealer was back and forth with them as they kept asking questions and telling them to check this and that . Then just an email saying since no definite cause of failure that it was void do to modification of motor . Wtf ?!?! $11.000 worth of damage so if they don't fix it I'll be in court but if they do . I have to say at this point from every issue I had getting Kia to fix some major issues under warranty with out me having to call makes me want to run back to VW and ford

Also have to add I know it was a blown head gasket . But the dealer wants to replace the motor and turbo . That's BS .

·
Registered
981 Posts
You didn't expect them to fix it without a fight did you? Like my lawyer told me "they know you will spend more in attorney fees and loss of work being in court then it will cost to fix the car yourself and most people will just walk away". Even if you walk away from Kia they still win but then again you play you pay. This was my first and my last Kia and when the car goes back together it will be how I want or bone stock and sold and
KIA CORPORATE can KISS MY @$$ from here out.

There are a few things that have my attention on keeping the Koup, first is everyday going to and from work think of a car you would like to have and count how many are on the road. In 2 years I have seen 2 F5 sx and 3 Koup sx and one of which is in another state.

If your going to spend the money to fix it at least make it something you would want to keep. Check around at local performance shops there are quite a few that specialize in certain areas and will partially sponsor or even fully sponsor which helps with the cost a lot.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I hear this same thing going on over and over. I've had my own issues with warranty work. If I had known the warranty wad going to be such an issue I would have bought a used wrx instead.

Reactions: Caezar

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry to hear that, and I would really love to know how they knew you were modded if you sent it in under stock form.

And according to them there was no definite cause of the head gasket going? How do they come to that conclusion?

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you don't want to keep it, $3000 for a used engine and sell, sell, sell. Or since yours is still intact, pull it apart, check it over thoroughly re-gasket and trade it in.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tech said missing screw on air box and original vac hose replaced . The dealer is still trying to get them to warranty it and I contacted the vice prez of Kia from what the veloster guys told me this is the way to go . But it's a one time deal if it works . So like just playingwithmymind said it will become a low rider to and from work . I'm planning to go back to VW and a Nissan project , Kia has done nothing but fight what they could have just gave into and improved their customer base . I've read horror stories all over the net about each model and motors blowing then Kia denied them for any reason . for 11k I could buy a gti rather than a motor . So the plan is they fuck me I get a motor from Canada . Pay off half the car and trade out .

Reactions: schizorazgriz

·
Registered
524 Posts
All the manufacturers seem to be cracking down on mods. It's been a war in the VW world with tuners trying to hide tunes from dealer techs and VW putting out software and tools that can find them. Bring it in for a free oil change and they happen to check? You've got a flag on your record and they're likely to deny anything engine related from then on.

Sucks bro. Kia does seem to be earning their reputation in particular for denying claims.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With this war of tuner vs dealer . Makes you think just buy SUVs from them to never mod and buy a used tuner car straight from Japan to mod . For the amount of money we spend on evo wrx Kia and Hyundai turbo cars and any other they should see a few 100k in repairs a a small drop in the pot to the billions they make selling these cars. Seems the reason ford is doing soo well now is their factory Motorsport program if it still exist . You can go to your local fird Motorsport dealer and have factory approved parts bought and installed on your ride . Subaru Nissan Toyota Japan still sells aftermarket parts . In America just the aftermarket equipt cars are sold and not to be touched like the sti "edition " we all forget sti is the performance factory aftermarket supplier for Subaru . MOBIS for Hyundai but funny . Strap a MOBIS performance suspension to your ex and guess what . Warranty VOID . It's lik setting out sugar and expecting the ants to eat it . Then setting them on fire with a magnifying glass ;( smdh

Reactions: CrazyFritter

·
Registered
521 Posts
I know you've said this before Caezar but what year and approximate mileage are you at?

I think contacting the VP or a higher up is a solid plan. My theory is always if you know there's going to be a fight be the first to throw a punch and throw it hard.

I know ford still sells some aftermarket parts and as far as I know Toyota has TRD. I love when manufacturers sell stuff like that that still retains your warranty. Even at a big markup.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
seems like we are joining the DSM crowd lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that if you modded your car, regardless of what it is, and they deny your warranty, then burden of proof falls on them to prove your "mods" caused the failure of what broke? And even if it did, and you are at fault, then it doesn't void the rest of the vehicles warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that if you modded your car, regardless of what it is, and they deny your warranty, then burden of proof falls on them to prove your "mods" caused the failure of what broke? And even if it did, and you are at fault, then it doesn't void the rest of the vehicles warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I don't want to be pro-compay and in favor of KIA. This is true, but, it is more expensive to prove this in a court than go and fix the car by yourself. The best thing, in this case, is to fix it in the cheapest way and trade the car or sell it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't want to be pro-compay and in favor of KIA. This is true, but, it is more expensive to prove this in a court than go and fix the car by yourself. The best thing, in this case, is to fix it in the cheapest way and trade the car or sell it.
The best way to go about it would not be a trade if you have a loan. You will get raped on the trade and be out thousands, plus if you were under on your previous trade then you are just compounding debt. There are various ways of getting legal help at little cost. It would be a hassle for sure though.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well in answer to a previous question the milage was at 8700 miles
I'm looking into a pro bono lawyer in a week or so . I've also found not only to contact the vice prez of Kia America about what's going on but also I am going to write a letter to my state attorney General .

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Well in answer to a previous question the milage was at 8700 miles .
Less than 10k miles and gasket blown? Sounds like overheated...

Anyway, is this exhaustive your list of mods?

Mods: to 300 whp auto Upload
Jun BL oil cap
New style k emblems from Korea
Custom script turbo emblem
Obdlink lx
Torque pro app Advanced Kia ,pro ceed GT PID's
Galaxy tab 4
Prosport Evo boost gauge 60mm premium
6th V2 vaccum block
Synapse Syncro SB BOV
Mac BOV control solenoid
6th CAI w/air raid pre filter
6th lower motor mount
HKS M40XL superfire spark plugs
845Motorsports FMIC upgraded core
Evilla stage one chassis set strut brace, rear brace rear sway bar

If so, I do not see anything that could cause any issue.
CAI? BOV? Rest is mechanical not really engine. Even BOV is not.
Maybe BOV control... maybe spark plugs.
Did you tune it?

And finally, what mods do they know existed?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No tune . I was happy with the current setup , prior to big turbo .

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wast told by the experts in this car . If the BOV does not open ( but it did you could hear it screaming ) the waste gate will kick in . Now wondering if the waste gate failed and tha caused it to overboost. . Because the BOV was doing its job and releasing air .

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
unfortunately with certain things pertaining to KIA having to prove that the mod caused it... technically they wouldnt such as in play's case also... they gave him a blanket statement with saying that he "opened" the engine.... that statement will allow them to win or at least drag things out past a reasonable dollar amount to fight it....

same thing if you were to tell them that you took the door panel off for what-ever reason and now the window doesnt work.... it would be extremely hard to press them to fix something when they can easily say that you were there prior and they do not know what has changed since the vehicle was produced in the factory.

basically if the car is completely stock, then KIA can soak it up and say that the vehicle hasn't been "touched" since it left their possession, obviously as long as the maintenance has been kept up....

all this has more than likely come about because everyone was beating the piss out of their cars when kia and hyundai started advertising the 100k warranties...... they probably paid a few lawyers to make up stipulations and such that you can only know about when you read the fine print.

sucks? hell yes.... but its the way of the world....

i took my car to my dealer for a bubble under the paint by the gas cap...... my advisor knows i do my own work on both my vehicles and knows that i will only come for what i feel is warranty work... but anyways... small bubble under the paint... maybe the size of a pen dot... when i got to the dealer and showed the "body advisor" he picked at it and actually came off revealing the start of some surface rust... his immediate response was that I... me... the person that washes and waxes his car once a month, parks away from everyone and babies his car to an extreme extent..... me I hit my car with my gas cap and chipped the paint to cause a bubble? are you fucking kidding me?

i didnt get mad... i knew as soon as he opened his mouth and that bull shit spewed out, he was not ever going to listen to me. but he did have the shop charge an internal order for a touch up pen in abyss blue and said that its on the house...... i took it... went home and then sanded the smallest area i could around the surface rust and cleaned it... then put POR15 all over the area i sanded...

sometimes you have to face the music that companies are assholes and they are there to make money and will make money no matter what...

like play also said... you have to pay to play... im just holding my 14 engine will hang in there long enough until i can dump the change on new internals or a 15+ long block

dont give up though... keep working at it until you feel you've reached the end and its over.... maybe do some research around... check out some veloster forums and see what you can print to show that hyundai and kia know there are issues with pre 15 motors... maybe that'll help...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.