Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a K&N drop in filter in there Turbo? Going to go find one, I think this it the one 33-3008.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
There are a lot of members that have purchased a drop in filter instead of opting for an intake (those that don't want to hear their turbo spooling).
Well, I did not hear much of spooling in intake setup, it was more of a vacuum suction...

·
Registered
827 Posts
One of the major benefits to the filter is the fact that it can be cleaned and reused too
This topic got thrashed about in a paper vs synthetic thread just a short while back. Remarkably, one topic often over looked is that these synthetic filters breathe very well at high altitudes. With a turbo and the high air flow filter, great performance when at high altitudes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone used a K&N drop in filter in there Turbo? Going to go find one, I think this it the one 33-3008.
Yep. I have one, although I had to order mine from Amazon. I assumed that the Veloster was the same size, and it is - except that there is a resonator in their air box for the same year - so I bought one at Autozone and it was short by about half an inch. So don't make that mistake. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yep. I have one, although I had to order mine from Amazon. I assumed that the Veloster was the same size, and it is - except that there is a resonator in their air box for the same year - so I bought one at Autozone and it was short by about half an inch. So don't make that mistake. :)
Are you going to post up any photos?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would never ever use one of those filters if you care about about your engine not to mention the turbo, if its just sound you care about go for it. Your not going to get anymore air than you would with the stock filter and your going to get dirty air, the manufacture uses the filter they design for a reason.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I would never ever use one of those filters if you care about about your engine not to mention the turbo, if its just sound you care about go for it. Your not going to get anymore air than you would with the stock filter and your going to get dirty air, the manufacture uses the filter they design for a reason.
Could you explain what data you have to support (exact quote) "Your not going to get anymore air than you would with the stock filter"
Then what does "and your going to get dirty air" mean?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I want to see some proof of what you say. I've seen many demonstrations over the years that show k and n filters flowing way more than paper filters, and since their manufacturing process aims for the same or better micron filtration than stock filters, I don't see how what you say checks out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
I want to see some proof of what you say. I've seen many demonstrations over the years that show k and n filters flowing way more than paper filters, and since their manufacturing process aims for the same or better micron filtration than stock filters, I don't see how what you say checks out.

Neither do I understand why "paper" people have to bash on K&N filters.
I asked the question after another poster in another forum saw a YouTube demo with anti-K&N efforts - does that make all the MILLIONS of people who have bought and continue to use K&N Filters stupid?
Because there is some video on the internet (of all places) trying to invalidate K&N (or other washable filters).
Quite bluntly, I think the anti-washable types are just too cheap to try them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Neither do I understand why "paper" people have to bash on K&N filters.
I asked the question after another poster in another forum saw a YouTube demo with anti-K&N efforts - does that make all the MILLIONS of people who have bought and continue to use K&N Filters stupid?
Because there is some video on the internet (of all places) trying to invalidate K&N (or other washable filters).
Quite bluntly, I think the anti-washable types are just too cheap to try them.
In my many years of tuned cars, there have only been a small few filters that I'd downright stay away from. Paper filters have their place, so do k and n's and all the clones.

I've put what amounts to almost 500k on vehicles on k and n filters. Those vehicles have never had an air intrusion problem, not then nor now. 2 of those vehicles were boosted, and all in all, encompassed 5 different turbos. Of those turbos, none showed any signed of wear other than shaft seals.

I don't have a problem with anyone saying what they like, or even telling me what I need to use. What bothers me is someone who doesn't do their research and doesn't have proper facts or just goes by what billy Joe bobs brothers uncle did this one time on his old ford f100 on a dusty day in the summer.

You people use what you want, I'll use what I want. If what you use is better, I'm all ears. Please tell me why its better. On that same hand, I'll gladly tell you why I think what I use is better. Or not.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I never found any solid proof saying that one is better than the other.

However, common sense would suggest that if a filter is less restrictive, it allows for larger particles to fly through. Right?
Therefore, paper filter would clean the air more efficiently.

On the other hand - if KN's are so great (I never used one, so I cannot really say anything solid - just debating) - why wouldn't OEM/manufacturers go to them permanently?

I personally do not really like KN's due to oiling they require.
I heard they do not drop oil, yet somehow oil dries out... so where did it go? Did it get burned in the engine? Those several milliliters of oil went through all the air intake.
Oil catch cans we put. And then we drop oil through air filter.

You see, it is a bit confusing. Some OEMs would try to void warranty, some are OK.
There is no solid, scientific, independent, comparison between these two. Some solid, long term comparison.
Those home made videos with pressure drop - that is childish.
I am talking about true particles filtration (also would be good to know what size is "dangerous" for the car and what is not), oil release, and such. Plus different temperatures.
Will in very cold day filtration be same as on very hot and dry day or hot and humid.
Just many questions...

Yet, I am not saying which one is better. I know for the fact less restrictive air filter helps a lot. I tried on my previous Forte. In WOT it was really screaming vs fresh OEM paper/fabric filter. Boost pressure would build up much faster. It would feel much stronger and quicker in all bands.
It all makes me to try KNs... but I still have my resistance due to the above.

·
Registered
827 Posts
On the other hand - if KN's are so great (I never used one, so I cannot really say anything solid - just debating) - why wouldn't OEM/manufacturers go to them permanently?
This has got to be the biggest failing of logic, proof of poor business sense, miscomprehension of manufacturing and so on. Manufacturers will often choose parts to keep the supply line cheap, keep the bean counters happy, simplify assembly line processes and so on. They'd have to arrange for contractual supply situations (increasing costs etc etc) to have aftermarket air filters, complicate warranties etc

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
This has got to be the biggest failing of logic, proof of poor business sense, miscomprehension of manufacturing and so on. Manufacturers will often choose parts to keep the supply line cheap, keep the bean counters happy, simplify assembly line processes and so on. They'd have to arrange for contractual supply situations (increasing costs etc etc) to have aftermarket air filters, complicate warranties etc
And I guess I would add, what I forgot to do earlier, that I presume OEM would rather stay with easy to replace filter as opposed to washable filter that requires oiling.
Now it makes my question pointless (the quoted, highlighted one) as how many regular users would actually go and wash their filters, then let them dry and oil them? Not many... I cannot imagine a Sedona-soccer mum would clean her filter. Or have KIA do that for additional $50.

Makes no sense from financial perspective.

So I take the question back...

·
Registered
170 Posts
OEMS won't use a reusable filter because that would add incurred risk for warranty on the customer. Instead of said customer optionally going and buying it, now you're forcing it on them, and a lot of people are spiteful.

You multiply the cost of a 6 dollar paper filter vs a 45 dollar k and n panel filter

Now multiply that by how many ever cars. Now you see why airlines make bank by removing just one olive from a salad.

It also removes an avenue for making more money (I.e. going to dealer when your filter needs replacing, and perhaps even paying them to do it for you).

Hell. My moms ford explorer sport trac doesn't even have a transmission dispstick, or fill "hole"

Why? So you have to take it to the dealer to fix it/ change the fluid

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I see what you are saying. And yes, I agree.

Hell. My moms ford explorer sport trac doesn't even have a transmission dispstick, or fill "hole"

Why? So you have to take it to the dealer to fix it/ change the fluid
Do Fortes have one? I did not find it on mine... nor did I find one on my wife's 500X.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts