Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Evilla rear Torsion and trunk bars. I am not a firm believer in Strut bars for daily/street applications so I passed on the front supports.

I would assume there are people here with the Torsion bar or the trunk bar ... maybe both...installed on their forte 5. What should I expect after I install? Is it a "butt dyno" type thing where it's not noticeable or is it a pretty decent difference from the stock Twist Beam setup?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
468 Posts
the Torsion bar you will find the most change.. its actually the biggest bang for the buck with our cars.. it really cleans up the rear end chatter.. I also posted a review on the trunk brace and a install guide
here are some photos to get you on your way with the trunk brace

vw2 (32).jpg vw2 (33).jpg vw2 (34).jpg vw2 (35).jpg vw2 (36).jpg vw2 (37).jpg vw2 (38).jpg vw2 (39).jpg

Reactions: MackDazzle

·
Registered
524 Posts
The rear torsion bar is a night and day difference. A must buy in my book.

The trunk bar, I don't have but in reading others' input sounds more like the minimal gains that only shows up on the butt dyno sort of experience you refer to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The Entire package made a huge difference on my Koup. I went with the strut brace, lower 2 point subframe brace, and rear torsion bar. I installed them all myself just on jack stands in my yard. Not a hard job and totally transformed the behavior of this car.

Not only does it not want to roll in the rear which upsets the front and creates a teetering feeling, it also really settles the whole car down over bumps. I can confidently push my car much harder now with no fear of mid corner bumps or wallowing from the back end causing understeer. These with the rigid subframe collars and some good tires turn this car around in the handling dept.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, thank you so very much, I really do appreciate the input.

One last question, and I'm not sure if anyone will know this, but I'm thinking about buying a MSD Ignition 2 Step module. I am not big on engine modifications, but I really would love a launch control unit. However, I've read in the Automatic SX's that there possibly is a launch control setup? I think I read something like "in manual mode after a full stop, shift up to 2nd gear. Once you are ready to launch - as soon as you punch the gas in 2nd, quickly shift back down to 1st." ---- is any of that true??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Nevermind fellas. I just found my answer. Thanks anyways!! No after market launch control for me. :) This is way more than good enough for my driving pleasure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That method in the Fortes can lead to bogging. I find better results with modulating just before the torque converter stalls. There is a narrow window where it'll make more boost but you have to let off the brake right before 2k rpm. Also most seem to get better E/Ts in auto mode over manual.

Basically hold the brake with TC/SC off, push lightly on the gas until it almost hits 2k rpm and then let off the brake and floor it. I've tried multiple ways in my A/T and if you let it hit the stall speed it dramatically cuts boost. Now this will lead to more wheelspin if you don't have good tires... aka the stock Nexans or Hankook. Experiment some and you'll get a feel for when it cuts boost.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That method in the Fortes can lead to bogging. I find better results with modulating just before the torque converter stalls. There is a narrow window where it'll make more boost but you have to let off the brake right before 2k rpm. Also most seem to get better E/Ts in auto mode over manual.

Basically hold the brake with TC/SC off, push lightly on the gas until it almost hits 2k rpm and then let off the brake and floor it. I've tried multiple ways in my A/T and if you let it hit the stall speed it dramatically cuts boost. Now this will lead to more wheelspin if you don't have good tires... aka the stock Nexans or Hankook. Experiment some and you'll get a feel for when it cuts boost.
I totally agree that Auto mode is faster. I was just enamored by the fact that our cars actually had a makeshift launch control. What I actually tend to do is start off in manual mode in first - shift at around 5800 rpm to allow the gear to do it's over-rev thing and then I throw it back into auto mode and let the car do it's thing.

But launch control is really only because I practice autocross in a vacant lot where I live and it's cool to use for consistency. I tried the method in the video last night after work and it stalls at around 1500 rpm, not 2000 rpm like the veloster does in that vid. But it sounded cool with my exhaust. hahaha

Thank you guys. I know there aren't many people that post on here, it seems, but you all seem really patient and down to earth. I can always appreciate that.

Edit -- I say "practice autocross"....by that I mean I really just "Hoon" around on a pretend track. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Auto mode is only faster with stock tune from what I found. With my tune I shift it right at 6k before the boost falls and she keeps pulling no problem lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Auto mode is only faster with stock tune from what I found. With my tune I shift it right at 6k before the boost falls and she keeps pulling no problem lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's with the stock tune. I don't mess with power trains on my new vehicles. I'm not that brave to not have a warranty, at least until the car is fully paid off. Now when it's paid off, yes, I'll be dipping into the power train after market heavily. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts