Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the JOYING 7 Car Stereo 2GB 32GB Android 5.1 in the Forte this weekend.

It’s basically having an Android tablet for a head unit. It’s what Android Auto should be. Yes, it does help improve the awful sound from the factory unit to passable but still not great. I kept all the steering wheel controls with a Metra Axxess ASWC-1. I’ll be hooking up the rear view camera with a step down and I have the adapters that should let me keep the factory AUX and USB on the way. I will lose UVO but who cares as it is basically useless to me. Also I have an OBD-II tool coming in today so I can use Torque for added fun and information.
My only real complaint so far is that the dash kit doesn't really match 100%

Links to what I used –

Head Unit - JOYING 7 Car Stereo 2GB 32GB Android 5.1
Metra Wiring Harness 70-7304
Metra Axxess ASWC-1
Metra 95-7356B Dash Kit

If you have any questions please let me know

IMG_20170510_114625056_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Link to the harness for the USB and aux? I already got USB working by hacking a usb cable but hacking an aux cable is kind of a pain and would rather not deal with it.

Also if you find a way to dim the radio with the sun load sensor please let me know. I found an external sensor I can use but would rather not have to use that.

Lastly you will be missing the retain accessories power like the factory radio. You can fix this with relays but I have not gotten around to it yet.

Also post a pic or two if you wouldn't mind please.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
so almost $400... not so bad.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nice job, don't you need a data/wifi plan to get the NAV working?

As far as I understand, it's not Android Auto and just an Android HU, so I'm curious how your NAV works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Link to the harness for the USB and aux? I already got USB working by hacking a usb cable but hacking an aux cable is kind of a pain and would rather not deal with it.

Also if you find a way to dim the radio with the sun load sensor please let me know. I found an external sensor I can use but would rather not have to use that.

Lastly you will be missing the retain accessories power like the factory radio. You can fix this with relays but I have not gotten around to it yet.

Also post a pic or two if you wouldn't mind please.
I ordered both of these.

Metra AX-HYKIA-USB

Axxess AX-HYKIA-USB-2

Hoping I can figure out a way to get everything to work. If not, no big deal. Just thought it would be a nice challenge...even though I'll probably never use it. I could just remove the factory ports and replace them - is that cheating? It would for sure be easier.

The Joying people asked if I bought their adapter for the camera...which I don't believe they have for our cars...but I asked them anyway. If not I'm using this guys guide at the Optima forum.

Are you using the same head unit?

Forgot to mention that I am missing one Steering Wheel Control. The voice activation. Not sure that I care but I could get bored and try to figure it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice job, don't you need a data/wifi plan to get the NAV working?

As far as I understand, it's not Android Auto and just an Android HU, so I'm curious how your NAV works.
I use my phone as a hotspot. I'm using Metro PCS right now. I think I'll try Sprint next month. They're both a $60 plan but I'm guessing Sprint has better coverage for me.

I could cast my screen but then you still have to control everything through the phone. This headunit also supports mirrorlink (where the headunit controls the phone) but it is so slow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts