Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I waited with the winter tires until the winter finally hit. I wanted to see who NEXEN tires deal with snow.

Honestly? They are great like ice skates on ice. Slushy snow OK, but packed, hard snow - no grip.

Cutting to the chase.
I put the winter set on.
It is a Hyundai wheel with OEM KIA TPMS for ForteSX.

After having them on the car for a few days no TPMS light comes on.
What the heck? I was expecting it to raise a red flag, as all other KIAs/Hyundais used to do to me, but now. It stays "quiet".

Hence the question.
Would TPMS register itself? Are those sensors "self-programming"?

EDIT.

Seeing the first response I think I must reiterate my question.

If I put new sensors into wheels, will the car re-learn them itself?
Having other KIA family TPMS, every time I was dropping winter set TPMS malfunction would come on after about 5 miles and new sensors had to be manually written into "computer".
Forte does not complain so far...
So did it learn them itself?

·
Registered
827 Posts
The circuits in cars are hard wired - they operate like a solid state circuit with input from voltages and resistance. While "self-programming" is somewhat vague, there isn't anything on your Kia that will exceed the engineers design parameters. Your Kia will not learn more than what's available from sensor input OR in other words it won't become greater and faster than the sum of its parts.
I feel for you in the Great Lakes area with that challenging snow and low temps however - and post a few photos so west coast people can see the unique road conditioins.
I'll bet proportionately idiot Californians who can't even slow down in the rain have more spinouts and wrecks than drivers in your area with harsh road conditions.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought the same tpms sensors you did. Must be because they are refurbished because mine worked as soon as I installed them. And I'm positive because the low pressure light just came on the other day since the temps now dropped to the negative.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the same tpms sensors you did. Must be because they are refurbished because mine worked as soon as I installed them. And I'm positive because the low pressure light just came on the other day since the temps now dropped to the negative.
So I guess I am lucky with this one. No more trips to Discount Tire.

Thanks for confirming it. I am hoping more would chime in who have TPMS...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Uf its the stock part number ones they hook right up. if they are the hyundai elantra ones then they need to be programmed or better to described searched and connected by the system . like hooking up to a cell phone lol. The elantra ones are a lot cheaper so if the shop doesn't charge you there can be a savings there . not sure if you switch if the old ones just hook back up or if need anther reconnect

1 - 5 of 5 Posts