Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told time and time again modding the daily is ill- advised and I'm beginning to think it's true. I only enjoy the loud exhaust, stiff ride about 25% of the time the rest of it I'm a bit miserable and just wish it was stock.

I've decided to look for a fox body GT since it's my favourite generation. Plenty of power and powers the correct wheels. Just thought I'd post my thoughts on it since alot of people seem intent on modifying their ride. The other option is to trade it in for a S550 GT performance pack but gas and insurance will probably rip me a new one.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Forte5GT - modding can get out of control very quickly. People can be obsessed with it. If you get a mustang, you can easily blow your toonie bank account on it. I tend to stick to suspension and stereo upgrades, no particular concern about drag strip times, but I do driver over twisty roads, mountain roads, high elevation roads, the California coastal strip and long freeways.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be lying if I didn't say money wasn't a factor but it's also the fact that it's harsh 24/7. I'll try and dial down the coils but I don't mind having it low. My passengers do however as some are old and getting in and out can be a challenge.

We will see.

I may have a fmic for sale. Its brand new and never installed from 845 with the standard core. May be even the BC racing coil overs depending how harsh on the softest settings are.

As far as the fox body goes ibwouldnt be adding too much powerods to it. Probably just straight pipe it and lower it on fat rubber.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Modding for me is lighting, but in the way that improves overall performance (not the look).
Another one is power/fuel economy. If I can stick with stock power, but get better fuel economy, I would go for it. If I can get more power (call it tune), but not really hurting the number, then I am for it. Yet, with tune the gains are not really significant especially if you take into account premium fuel.
I rather stay away from modding suspension and exhaust. In this one the ride is already harsh. The very low profile tires only make things worse. Rear could be better, but I can live with that. I had much worse cars (say 80's and 70's). I learnt how to handle a car on them, so 2016 F5 is easy.
Audio - well, it is a car, not recording studio. Sure, it could have better sound, but not my priority. I have nice floor speakers at home. For car - I like to listen to the car.

Having said all of that - yes, this is my daily. I put about 8-10k miles a year. Many times I have wife and kids on board, so the exhaust tone must be tolerable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I daily mine, but comfort is a huge consideration. I've done the brash, loud and rough car thing, so its much more challenging (and fun) to modify the car with NVH in mind.

If i could get 220-230whp with stock sound i'd be a happy guy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I enjoy driving mine everyday. The simple mods I've done have made it fun to drive and with enough power for me. I won't do any suspension mods as it handles good enough for my driving. New tires will happen at the end of this summer as these Hankooks will be "cooked" by then.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Mods must be tasteful and done right. Here is good my cars are right now

04 wrx, suspension is on springs and kybs and huge sways, motor is tuned with a stuffed td04 turbo upgrade, exhaust is a 3 to 2.5inch, and had been regeared with a closer 1-2 and a 4.444 fd

15 F5 suspension has front sway bushings, front struts bar, springs, rear brace, and rear torsion bar,collars, summer tires. Motor is just a cleared out exhaust, 60mm tb, modified intake. Radio and tweets replaced and small 8 inch sub added

15 optima sx turbo, just has wider tires and springs.

All 3 cars ride like stock, but handle better. From top to bottom is the loudest to quietest but none at really that loud. I had an intake on the F5 but it was too loud for a daily. So mods are possible, you just need to know your goals and your tolerance. I plan to improve the performance further on the two Kias, but driveability is a must.

And for mpg, the optima is the best (33 hwy) 😁

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mods must be tasteful and done right. Here is good my cars are right now

04 wrx, suspension is on springs and kybs and huge sways, motor is tuned with a stuffed td04 turbo upgrade, exhaust is a 3 to 2.5inch, and had been regeared with a closer 1-2 and a 4.444 fd

15 F5 suspension has front sway bushings, front struts bar, springs, rear brace, and rear torsion bar,collars, summer tires. Motor is just a cleared out exhaust, 60mm tb, modified intake. Radio and tweets replaced and small 8 inch sub added

15 optima sx turbo, just has wider tires and springs.

All 3 cars ride like stock, but handle better. From top to bottom is the loudest to quietest but none at really that loud. I had an intake on the F5 but it was too loud for a daily. So mods are possible, you just need to know your goals and your tolerance. I plan to improve the performance further on the two Kias, but driveability is a must.

And for mpg, the optima is the best (33 hwy) 😁
Sounds delicious, get it?

On some days in quite content with the power delivery on the car. It already has enough to get us in trouble, imo. I think a few more wouldnt hurt but not paramount. The handling aspect is spot on. I think. I will look into some of what youve done.

The summer tires I put on are good. I just need to dial in my coil overs ans wait for the summer weather to be in full swing.

The WRX must be a riot though. I'd be tptrd to launch it at every light.

Some guy in a camry tried to race me because he didn't like that I had a better response to the light change. Some people look at a car that has a drop, aftermarket rims and take it as an invitation to street race. Heh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts