Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont' know if that's the correct term but recently I've been hearing that 3 Stooges sound where one of them does that "woo woo woo' sound. Basically when I'm coming to a turn or engine braking to slow down for a stop, I throw it into 1st and I hear the engine 'wind down' and that's what it sounds like.. woo woo woo almost like a turbine spinning down.

Anyone know what the hell this is?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Are you running a BOV ? Or better yet what's your setup ?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
its probably because you are going too fast to downshift into first... or if your not going too fast, its probably just a noisier transmission than you are used too.

is it like the sound when you go fast in reverse?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine does this as well, but usually because the speed I'm going at, if i drop the clutch, would have me around 4-5k in first

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
How quick are you going? I never downshift to first unless I'm in traffic but even then I try to keep it 2nd as long as possible.

If you repeat your process but in 2nd gear, does it still happen?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you running a BOV ? Or better yet what's your setup ?
Sorry, nothing dramatic like that. I have no mods.
its probably because you are going too fast to downshift into first... or if your not going too fast, its probably just a noisier transmission than you are used too.

is it like the sound when you go fast in reverse?
Not quite the same. I'll try to capture a sound clip when I get a chance. I might toss the GoPro in the engine bay and hope for the best.

Mine does this as well, but usually because the speed I'm going at, if i drop the clutch, would have me around 4-5k in first

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I'm not going that fast; I would estimate probably 20-30KM/H which is something very low in MPH. I usually clutch in and throw it into first while holding clutch in and brake at the same time as I'm coming to a intersection where I want to turn right for instance so I'm getting ready to stop and go real fast. Funny thing is, it doesn't do it all the time, it's random.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i usually dont use first unless im at 5mph or less.... and even then if your rolling, if you roll into the clutch a little, you dont have to go into first... i primarily use first only from a dead stop.

Reactions: staax

·
Registered
633 Posts
20-30 kmh is pretty high IMO... I usually wont go in till 8-10 km/h which is around 5-7 mph like honhon said.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i usually dont use first unless im at 5mph or less.... and even then if your rolling, if you roll into the clutch a little, you dont have to go into first... i primarily use first only from a dead stop.

Noi, I do as well. I usually shift between 15-20km/h. When I'm coming to a 4 way stop let's say, I'll anticipate it by throwing it into first with my clutch in until I'm also creeping although my estimation and actual speed could vary by a great deal. I need to re-evaulate my driving habits perhaps.

20-30 kmh is pretty high IMO... I usually wont go in till 8-10 km/h which is around 5-7 mph like honhon said.
I know sometimes when I'm in a parking lot I'll creep at 10-20km/h. I know this for sure because you can program the locks to engage after 20km/h. I sometimes hear it lock and I'm still in first. I find 2nd gear a little too high in a congested parking lot because it starts to chug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts