Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forte family.
As you have noticed i have been MIA for a few weeks now. To all the OG members, you know who i am. But to all of the new members i have seen joining throughout the weeks, WELCOME!!! Its great to see the member count going up day by day. This forum is really growing!!!
The past few weeks have been extremely busy for me. Work at the shop has taken a turn for the good and we are swamped!! My wife just recently got a promotion and the hours she works have changed, which had the greatest impact with my time spent on the forums with you guys.
But that does not matter anymore, i am back and have some great information that i have gathered the past few weeks i have been gone.
For starters, the custom exhaust i was taunting everyone with is finally finished. My car was supposed to be at the shop for only a day or two, but that ended up turning into about 8 days. The first day they started on the exhaust, the bender broke on the second bend they were making. The part that broke is vital to the bending process, and from that point on it was a struggle to get everything finished. But in the end run it was worth the wait because the final product turned out absolutely amazing. It is drop dead gorgeous!!!!!
As far as pictures and info for the exhaust i will be putting that together the next day or two, so keep an eye out for that!!!

Secondly we have the tune. The tune is coming along, just slower than we had initially planned. The tune pre exhaust was running about 85%, we just needed to address some partial throttle issues. But the tune Post exhaust initially took a turn for the worst. The day i picked up the car i 100% could tell a difference in the car the moment i started driving away. The throttle was a lot "lighter" and the biggest difference i felt was how quickly the turbo spooled up compared to stock exhaust. The good thing is after the all the adaptives set in roughly 300-400 miles, the tune really started to open back up and the exhaust complemented it very well. I am currently waiting for an revision of my current tune to address the partial throttle issues that still are giving us problems. Besides that, this car is a monster!!!!
Now i know what everyone wants to know. What did is Dyno?!?!?!?! welllllllll i can't tell you quite yet. What i can say is we have some really impressive numbers to share with you guys. Straight from Tork John's mouth, he said. "These are the best numbers i have seen on a 1 tune w/ full bolts-ons ever"
If that doesn't get you guys excited, i don't know what will. I promise you very soon we will have these Dyno's posted up for everyone to see. We are very close to having this tune finished and want to give you guys the best results we possibly can!!!! We will have Pre exhaust/Post exhauast/Post exhaust adaptives set and Full bolt ons 1.5 tune. You guys will not be dissapointed

Lastly is my build. Everything is still a go. Just got some great news today and the final piece of this puzzle has arrived. THE RODS AND PISTONS ARRIVED AT TORK TODAY!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYYA!!!!
This is great great great news!!!! The only thing stopping me from starting the tear down for this build is the tune. The moment the tune is running 100%, this build will be in full affect. WE ARE SO CLOSE!!

Well i know for sure i am forgetting a lot of info i know i should be sharing, but honestly i am beat!! This week so far has been rough and its only hump day.. Sheesh!!!!
Regardless it is good to be back!! As i always say, if anyone ever needs anything just ask!!! I am usually always available if you need anything on the spot, but regardless i am usually pretty quick with answering back.

Thanks,
Max

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bro!!
It sounds so mean..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
awesome. what do you have in the exhaust as far as mufflers etc... or is it just straight back? it seems things are going to explode really well for our cars this year with 6th working on an intercooler, and all the stuff you've been doing with tork.

are you still doing meth?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@honhon
Exhausts is a straight pipe with one res
There is 0 drone
Cruising conditions it's very quiet
Part throttle it sounds like sex
Wot it sounds like a monster!!!

Yes still doing meth

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, I will be running 100%
As far as where you can get it, it's best to search locally for a company that sells remanufactured fuels. Usually you can find a place that has bulk in different fuels. From what I know mid to high 4$ is a good price for a gallon
I am even considering getting bulk just becuase in the long run its cheaper

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far how how much you will use in a given period of time. The standard kit comes with a 3qt reservoir ( it is upgradable to different capacities)
From what Tork Has said when I asked, that 3qt bottle and our 1.6 will go for a few weeks depending on driving style.
The way I see it I like piece of mind and little to no maintenance. That being said I am most likely upgrading to a 1.5 or 2 gallon tank

·
Registered
468 Posts
I hope everything is working out well. love to the see the photo break down.. have you thought about an LSD when you do the piston install.. you have to bust that motor apart anyway.. and I was wondering did you put a shroud in the open hole where your old intercooler was too keep everything air tight.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as photo break down I am going to try hardest to get he best for you guys
My time frame and extra time is tight as it is
With that being said I am considering shelling out the extra money for a spare block so that my down time goes from a few weeks to a few days. I have already spent a lot of money and my funds for this build were planned accordingly. Now with this new idea it will really put me in a tight position
Adding to that, the idea of lsd has came into conversation many times, but in the end it has been decided to see where we stand when everything is done. I have adressed traction with a recent rim/tire purchase, but I know that isn't going to fully solve my problems.
As far as the hole from stock i.c, its still there and will be staying there for good
I planned to put a FMCAI to fill up the space, but that may not be happening. So for now it's just s great big ol hole to let air in and cool things down.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I only brought up the hole so it help seal up the radiator a bit better. make it more efficient.. kudos on the mods.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
hole could be filled with an oil cooler.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Looking forward to your build. I don't want to go off topic too much but Korean makes a good point. While driving on the highway, that most of the air will want to travel in the least resistance and go into that spot. If it was blocked off. It would be forced to go through the fmic and rad. Another idea and maybe this is what you are talking about but make a box for your Cai and just have the opening of it where the stock intercooler was. This would force more air into the intake but also when it is pressurized it will still let more air go through the rad instead of freely flowing through the hole.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All points made are 100% valid.
ITs great you guys are giving suggestions like this because with how busy i have been, the small details like this don't get much attention.
Either way my void of space that we are speaking of has been a topic of conversation but has not been addressed yet
As far as is taking away performance from the FMIC i can completely understand where your coming from and you made a great point about the flow of air
only argument i have is that the core is performing so well i don't know if it can work any better!! lol... My temps are on point to what you would want to see for the grade of core being used.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Awesome!
Welcome back Knee, we "kneed" pics!
I'd talk to tork about the ideal amount of methanol to store onboard, not only is it a crash hazard but I also heard that it can be a bitch to store in terms of maintaining purity as it does and will pull any water vapor or condensation that is around it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doesn't methanol burn like alcohol? No visual flame just excessive heat.
There is no way I would put a 100% meth inside the car unless I never had my daughter in there and always wore a fire suit. 60/40 with the little risk to the engine is way easier to live with IMO.
Although this may be true, it does not apply to this platform, or any gdi for that fact.
It's already been tested and proven for this platform
Water and Gdi don't mix. From the testing it was found that once water was introduced, there was knock.
Once the water was taken away, no more knock
Meth is supposed to decrease knock, not assist it

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh and hi, we havnt met yet but my name is Max. It's very nice to meet you
Just to make something clear, for some reason when I type, people tend to take it like I am attacking them or saying it in a dickish way. Not the case at all, I come in peace.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to put that out there. Lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts