Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my bag/man purse, what have you in the passenger seat. Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes when I get to my destination, I'll leave the engine running until I've gathered my stuff and then I'll shut the car off. By that time, I've given the turbo time to wind down a little. I know I read somewhere that modern turbos do not need that cool-down period and in fact that's how I do it most of the time. Get to where I'm going and turn it off.

Well, I noticed something strange this morning. I did the former and the lights wouldn't turn off. I think I have it on for about 30 seconds or whatever the interval is. Usually it will turn off after about 30 seconds if I do the immediate shut off procedure. I'll try it again tonight when I get a chance but it was weird to see how the headlights wouldn't turn off because of the change in procedure. Does it have something to do with it? A bug, may be?

If you get a chance, please try and it report back. I'd hate to think it's just one more thing 'wrong' with the car. Car has 55,000KM.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
From what moment you start counting the 30 second period? The moment you shut down the engine or the moment you open the door?
If I recall there is the difference.

And clarification.
When AUTO - you mean lights are on because it is dark outside or you have them in ON position and say "auto" as they will be turned off with the car?

Reactions: 2014Forte5

·
Registered
827 Posts
2014Forte5 - couple things. Right before your destination, not knowing your roads and driving habits etc - are you boosting (sufficient to heat the turbo) and then feel that you "wind down a little" and cool the turbo off?
Do you feel your "kinder" to the bearing, compressor, housing by doing this?

Clarify a little on your headlight process. Did you drive in to a dark building?

And PLEASE tell me it's your messenger bag or carry-strap briefcase :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Per the manual, the auto-off 30 second countdown is triggered when you open the driver's door, not when you shut off the engine. If you don't exit through the driver's door and just sit there they will stay on for 20 minutes after turning the car off,

I always just hit the lock button twice to turn them off as I walk away.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2014Forte5 - couple things. Right before your destination, not knowing your roads and driving habits etc - are you boosting (sufficient to heat the turbo) and then feel that you "wind down a little" and cool the turbo off?
Do you feel your "kinder" to the bearing, compressor, housing by doing this?

Clarify a little on your headlight process. Did you drive in to a dark building?

And PLEASE tell me it's your messenger bag or carry-strap briefcase :)
When I'm driving to anywhere that takes more than 15 minutes, I usually hit redline once or twice. Like an apple once a day keeps the doctors away, redlining once a day keeps the sadness away, too. :)

If for nothing else, it's a precautionary measure. I park in an indoor parking lot so the auto headlights usually kicks on. No comment on the last question.

Hey, Nouse4aname, that's awesome. I didn't realize two presses did that.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
When I'm driving to anywhere that takes more than 15 minutes, I usually hit redline once or twice. Like an apple once a day keeps the doctors away, redlining once a day keeps the sadness away, too. :)
Nice comparison. If I redline twice, do I need to have two apples then?

Hey, Nouse4aname, that's awesome. I didn't realize two presses did that.
I can only say one thing - RTFM
lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
The 30 second count only applies if you have the headlight feature enabled under the settings in the dash. It also turns on the lights if left in on or auto (and it's dark) when you unlock the car.

Also if you open the door and then turn on and then if the and then parking lights it will leave those on till your turn them off manually. In some countries parking on the side of the road requires these lights to be on.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want me to test anything

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Also if you open the door and then turn on and then if the and then parking lights it will leave those on till your turn them off manually. In some countries parking on the side of the road requires these lights to be on.
It used to be even nicer years ago.
If you left turn signal on (the stalk moved to either side) then that side would lit parking lights. Only one side. It was very neat feature. But I guess only in Europe... My cars had it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts