Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLP you said . If you want to have more noise, remove the snorkel in the front of the airbox. Pull the two locking inserts and wiggle out the snorkel. It will make the intake much louder with vacuum noise (under turbo spool) Can you show a pic of this thank you. I have the 2016 5sx.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
PLP you said . If you want to have more noise, remove the snorkel in the front of the airbox. Pull the two locking inserts and wiggle out the snorkel. It will make the intake much louder with vacuum noise (under turbo spool) Can you show a pic of this thank you. I have the 2016 5sx.
Sure. I will try to do it tonight or tomorrow.
I bet there was a post showing it, but I could not find it.

Reactions: SXTurbo

·
Registered
238 Posts
I looked at the air box while I was liberating the bov hose. I like the sound with the hose off and now I think I'm gonna try this snorkel removal too. Is the bov noise any louder if I completely remove the hose?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Oh yes. It will. Without the hose it will have a loud, not high pitch, but it gets loud.
With the hose still attached to BOV, but disconnected from intake, it will be muffled, but still very noticeable. Just close the leg from the intake. Use a rubber leg protector/support from furniture - see local hardware store.

I will take pics tonight to show you what I meant with the airbox.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I knew I took pictures when I was doing it... I finally found them.

Now, I could not find a picture showing it before, but you can see it yourself.

There are two pins in the front. Use a small flat screw driver to pull them out (release the insert) and get the whole piece out. Be careful to not lose it.
Then, remove the air box top cover.
Depending on the ambient temperature, you may or may not be able to remove the "snorkel" out. I think I ended up somehow twisting/wiggling it out. You may need to, though, get the airbox some slack. Simply undo the three (I think there are three) M6 bolts (10 mm socket) in the box. Then it is much easier to unplug the snorkel. There are two locking tabs inside the box, under the filter. The oval part.
Removing the intake snorkel will give you much better access to BOV and the IC.

Also, see how I finished the BOV tip? If you undo the hose on the BOV, it will get even louder and more high pitch noise. The pipe makes the sound slightly "deeper".
20160424_151810.jpg

I did not completely remove the BOV hose as I was afraid of any dirt getting there... so if you decide to connect it back again, first make sure everything is nice and clean there as the return air from BOV is after the filter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks PLP, I already did the disconnect and block off thing, I like the sound but now I want it louder! I removed those 2 locking pins but the snorkel seemed like it was on there pretty good, didn't want to force it and break something. Does it just pull off after those 2 clips are off?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the pic PLP! That's exactly how my bov hose and block off looks like now. So no worries at all of moisture getting in the bov opening?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Thanks PLP, I already did the disconnect and block off thing, I like the sound but now I want it louder! I removed those 2 locking pins but the snorkel seemed like it was on there pretty good, didn't want to force it and break something. Does it just pull off after those 2 clips are off?
he he he
we were writing at the same time, although I was one minute before you. lol
See above.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
So this is just removing the snorkel that diverts air into the stock air box?

I know the purpose of this is to increase engine/ turbo noise but doesnt that defeat the purpose of the stock air box? Creating an inefficient system from an efficient system?

·
Registered
238 Posts

I know the purpose of this is to increase engine/ turbo noise but doesnt that defeat the purpose of the stock air box? Creating an inefficient system from an efficient system?
Well, I went for A a ride after I finished removing the snorkel and the bov hose. The bov sound is louder and clearer, I like that. I am detecting a low speed bog that I don't remember being there with the snorkel on so you may be right Paul.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you show me what this snorkel looks like? Is it all of the big peace in front of the stock box? And is there air going in that is not filtered?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can you show me what this snorkel looks like? Is it all of the big peace in front of the stock box? And is there air going in that is not filtered?
Yes, it's everything before that hole you see in the air box. All the incoming air is still filtered. I'm going to put that snorkel back on. The intake sound is much louder but after driving to work this morn I do feel a slight low throttle hesitation now that wasn't there before. I do highly recommend completely removing the bov hose if you want maximum bov sound.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

It is not much different than SAI... is it?
From looking on it I would find the snorkel actually limiting the air flow... but I never did any true air flow testing, so I could be biased.

Well, I went for A a ride after I finished removing the snorkel and the bov hose. The bov sound is louder and clearer, I like that. I am detecting a low speed bog that I don't remember being there with the snorkel on so you may be right Paul.
I did not notice that in mine...
Low speed, you mean engine speed or car speed? Or low engine speed in tall gear (5 pr 6)?

The other thing I did along with that was disconnecting the battery (I was doing a horn at the same time), so maybe "ECU learning" is the culprit.
However, I could feel better pulls and seeing higher pressure buildup (according to the mechanical boost gauge). I do not recall low speed issues.
Anyway, after a while I was forced to go back to stock... wife did not like the noise.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Coming off the line with just light pressure on the gas it feels slightly bogged down. I'm very sensitive to initial throttle tip in at low speeds and coming off the line. Maybe I'll try the battery pull/ECU reset and see if it makes any difference. It does sound pretty good but I'd rather not loose any throttle input sensitivity. I am happy w the bov hose completely off sound. This whole thing has me wondering about a complete aftermarket intake. I wouldn't mind that as long as there is no bogging or loss of low end power.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
It is not much different than SAI... is it?
From looking on it I would find the snorkel actually limiting the air flow... but I never did any true air flow testing, so I could be biased.
What's an SAI?

In a closed system like that the design is to force air in the box, it is narrow but for a reason. I honestly dont have any dyno results to prove or disprove just speaking about it in theory

Yes, it's everything before that hole you see in the air box. All the incoming air is still filtered. I'm going to put that snorkel back on. The intake sound is much louder but after driving to work this morn I do feel a slight low throttle hesitation now that wasn't there before. I do highly recommend completely removing the bov hose if you want maximum bov sound.
I know with an intake you tend to lose power on the low end and gain on the higher end, you're probably experiencing the same effect

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts